One Synth Challenge #126: Bazz::Murda by DistoCore (New DistoCore prizes added to the pool!)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Carl_saved
KVRist
148 posts since 17 May, 2013

Post Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:03 am

BTW I noticed that the high pass filter on the oscillator can cause clicking when modulated by a tight filter envelope (e.g. 0s attack and 0.075s decay, 0 sustain on a sine wave). This in turn, e.g. with a bass boost, can cause clipping at the synth's output and generate a "stuttering" effect. (Live 10, Win10, x64) So, to avoid the worst (which is the stuttering at the output), do not boost the bass inside the synth.

exponent1
KVRist
190 posts since 10 Nov, 2018

Re: One Synth Challenge #126: Bazz::Murda by DistoCore (New DistoCore prizes added to the pool!)

Post Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:57 pm

exponent1 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:22 am
DistoCore wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:56 am
Is there no retrigger or one-shot mode for the AMP/Filter envelopes in B::M ? I made a snare, but when I do some fast snare hits, the envelopes mysteriously overlap, making it quite difficult to make some fast snare/kick hits. Please let me know if this is a known issue, or am I missing something?

Also the note volume for consecutive notes is very inconsistent. I'm playing 16th notes on a simple single oscillator sine wave patch with a plucky ADSR and all FX disabled, but the consecutive notes all have different volumes. Is this is a bug or a feature?
So apparently using 256 or 512 buffer size for ASIO seems to fix this volume inconsistency. I was using 2048 as the buffer size before, when I was encountering this issue. Works fine now.

However, why is the filter envelope affecting the sound even when the filter module is disabled? Is there a way to completely bypass the filter envelope?

diaseis
KVRer
25 posts since 16 Jul, 2019

Re: One Synth Challenge #126: Bazz::Murda by DistoCore (New DistoCore prizes added to the pool!)

Post Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:00 am

Carl_saved wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:54 am
Since you are planning to use factory M4L devices to generate or alter the input to Bazz::Murda (both MIDI events or parameter changes), it is fine IMO.
Thanks, I hope this will be confirmed.
Carl_saved wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:54 am
However, I would not use M4L audio effects. If we want more than the standard builtin audio FX we should use free VSTs that are available to all.
OK, I get it, I think your right. But I also think that audio effects like the convolution reverb, which is a factory device, should be authorized, since this is the only convolution tool in Ableton Live and other DAWs (maybe not all though) have their own.

Carl_saved
KVRist
148 posts since 17 May, 2013

Post Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:35 am

I am not arguing, but honestly interested :) Can you explain a case where you'd want a convolution reverb because a conventional reverb wouldn't do the job?

Dirtgrain
KVRist
182 posts since 12 Jan, 2019

Post Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:49 am

There are free convolution reverbs, IIRC.
Is the LFO Max for Live device OK? I assume other DAWs have similar functionality as a stock component, but I'm not experienced with any other DAWs excepting a bit of time on Reaper.

Auplant
KVRist
291 posts since 21 Mar, 2015

Post Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:39 am

I never do neurofunk, it's not really my thing. And in trying, I feel a sense of fear...

exponent1
KVRist

Post Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:12 am

Auplant wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:39 am
I never do neurofunk, it's not really my thing. And in trying, I feel a sense of fear...
Give it a go! What's the fear about?

Auplant
KVRist

Post Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:14 am

exponent1 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:12 am
Auplant wrote:
I think I'm in deep water since I try something I'm not familiar with :borg: but I will give it a go and try to make some audio candy :tu:

exponent1
KVRist

Post Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:28 am

Auplant wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:14 am
exponent1 wrote:
Auplant wrote:
I think I'm in deep water since I try something I'm not familiar with :borg: but I will give it a go and try to make some audio candy :tu:

anyway, I'm not sure if people will listen to me on this but - you don't need white noise to do percussion, try triangle/sine wave, filter and waveshaper :)
Same here, I think I might try Neurofunk too this time, so you'll have some company :D

Auplant
KVRist

Post Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:00 am

exponent1 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:28 am
Auplant wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:14 am
exponent1 wrote:
Auplant wrote:

anyway, I'm not sure if people will listen to me on this but - you don't need white noise to do percussion, try triangle/sine wave, filter and waveshaper :)
Same here, I think I might try Neurofunk too this time, so you'll have some company :D
Sweet :tu: I'm on 180bpm. Something artsy, have som ideas for it, some earlier sketch sounds like a haunted didgiridoo, but it was fun :lol: might even include that idea in the track...

] Peter:H [
KVRian
801 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Post Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:21 am

Auplant wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:52 am
Carl_saved wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:57 am
Auplant wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:58 am
@TrojakEW It depends, I listened to a lot of hardcore gabber in my youth and I still like it today. But I don't listen to badly made stuff, I know good artists.
Can you name a few? :)
Tha Playah, The Viper, Kasparov, Nosferatu, Ophidian, Promo, Dither

They're among my favorite artists.

[...]
Nice! I'm in. Though I doubt one can make top 5 with gabba/speedcore - way to off the limits for OSC.

doctorbob
KVRian
1319 posts since 7 Mar, 2014

Post Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:59 am

I'm already running my track at 190bpm … it's going to be a take on the traditional trading 4's you get in jazz, BUT … that's where the similarity will end! :lol:

I wish I could get some better sounding cymbals of ANY kind (rides, hats, crashes!), puffing white noise sounds lame, but it might be all we can get. I have tried to get some ringing by offsetting the tuning of the osc's - really need to FM it somehow … :? :? :tu:

Any ideas welcome, and will be taken up by quite a few here I suspect … :tu:

dB

… and Peter, you should be the MASTER KING of this synth - looking forward to some awesome heavy hitting percussion track from you … or maybe you'll go all soft and do a mild ambient :D :D :D

diaseis
KVRer

Post Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:21 pm

Carl_saved wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:35 am
I am not arguing, but honestly interested :) Can you explain a case where you'd want a convolution reverb because a conventional reverb wouldn't do the job?
Honestly I don't know. It's just a no brainer, you browse threw IR and you pick whatever you like instead of tweaking a bunch of parameter. :wink:

DistoCore
KVRist
35 posts since 14 Jan, 2014 from Germany

Post Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:22 pm

Hi,

thanks for all the latest posts here, it looks like there are some problems with Bazz::Murda :dog: and I'm going to have a homework for the next version :wink:

Concerning the filter ADSR -> unfortunately it can not be bypassed or deactivated.
As for the LFO system indeed it is very hardcore-kick-drum oriented:
Each oscillator has its own LFO, which is re-triggered on note.
The LFO frequency can be set to a frequency from 0-20Hz or synchronized with host's tempo by the following ratios 0.25, 0.5, 1.0, 2.0, 4.0, 8.0 or 16.0:
lfo_descr1.png
The three marked knobs control the amount of 1: amplitude, 2: frequency (fine-tune) and 3: filter applied to oscillator's LFO.
So in this example the 2nd knob is telling that the fine-tune will be varying +/- 0.2 semi-tone according to the LFO signal.
The LFOs are visualized in the "SCOPE" tab of the synth:
lfo_vis1.png
As for envelope overlapping, please try to set a very short release time for both ADSRs.
BTW: you can use the arrow buttons to copy the Vol./Filter ADSR settings in both directions.

So cool to hear that Bazz::Murda is used to some experimental neurofunk, drum&bass, hardcore and all other music genres :borg:
I cross my fingers for you guys.

Happy producing :phones:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

diaseis
KVRer

Post Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:44 pm

DistoCore wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:22 pm
The three marked knobs control the amount of 1: amplitude, 2: frequency (fine-tune) and 3: filter applied to oscillator's LFO.
Aaaaah ! This is a revelation for me. Thanks for your presence here !

Return to “Instruments”