I love Synapse Audio Dune 1 VST!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In other words... a village idiot.

chk071 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:27 am In other words... a village idiot.
Jesus Christ.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

ENV1 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:51 am
v1o wrote: Actually I’ve read somewhere that CRTs are superior to LCDs.
It cant be generalized like that.

CRTs for instance always have problems with convergence. This is because it is practically impossible to have all 3 color rays going in 100% perfect sync with each other, i.e. the problem is practically unavoidable. (It is also not a 'linear' issue, i.e. convergence may be near perfect in the center area of the screen but totally suck in the corners.) The second major problem with CRTs is geometry, which is a lot better with flat tubes than it used to be with curved tubes, but even with perfectly flat tubes like some high-end Trinitrons it is still never perfect because the rays are drawing the picture 'freehand' if you will, i.e. unlike a TFT the pixel-positions are not static in one place. Thus a TFT with its fixed array of pixels/subpixels will always have the advantage here simply because it is impossible for convergence and geometry to be anything less than 100% perfect.

Aside from that TFTs are smaller, lighter, consume less power, and are flicker-free even at 60Hz. But they arent perfect either. Their disadvantages are that they usually always have problems with black (backlight technology in general and often ugly backlight bleed-through that can never be gotten rid of), and often with colors and greys as well. (Including banding.) Unlike CRTs they also have only 1 resolution where everything is 100% sharp, (so-called 'native-res', all other resolutions have to be interpolated whereas CRTs are always equally sharp at all resolutions), plus they are also generally a lot slower than CRTs, which may make them a suboptimal choice for applications such as gaming and fast video scenes. (Of course there are many TFTs that are perfectly fine for gaming and movies, the point is that this is never an issue with a CRT, i.e. its one of their advantages.)

So the upshot is that neither is perfect. Each has advantages the other doesnt have, so the only perfect solution would be a device that incorporates the good aspects of both. (Like a CRT with the footprint/convergence/geometry of a TFT.) Maybe the OLEDs will get there one day, (speed and all), they certainly are the most promising at this point.
Thanks. Basically the different display technologies all have distinct advantages and disadvantages. Personally I'm a sucker for Nixie tubes and vacuum fluorescent displays in vintage audio equipment. None of the modern equivalents are as visually appealing.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

layzer wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:57 pm
v1o wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:34 pm
BONES wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:26 am Let's just say I don't run out and buy a new TV every time a new one is released. Same with my car - just because there is a newer model doesn't mean the one I have isn't every bit as good as it was when I bought it. I have also gone back to a more conventional mobile phone, after 10 years on smartphones, for pretty much exactly the reasons some people might prefer the original DUNE over any of the updates - most of what my smartphone does is stuff I don't give a shit about so I saw no reason to waste money on capabilities that I don't need or want when I could get everything I did want in a slider phone that cost US$75 brand new.
You’ll just come across like a hipster antiquarian when you use your phone in public.
Smartphones are actually stupidphones...
they are too small to use most of their many functions comfortably without plugging in a keyboard, mouse and monitor.
but they are more bulky to carry around than older smaller flip phones.
Does XP support 4k screen resolutions?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Thanks. Basically the different display technologies all have distinct advantages and disadvantages.
Exactly.
v1o wrote:Personally I'm a sucker for Nixie tubes and vacuum fluorescent displays in vintage audio equipment. None of the modern equivalents are as visually appealing.
Same Here! :D

I didn't know that Dune 1 can be used as a screen, does it emulate the sound of a CRT tube? Though I recall back in the day the sound of CRTs was annoyingly high. Thanks god my hearing isn't going that far anymore, maybe the CRTs are responsible for the hearing loss?

v1o wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:33 pm
BONES wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:26 am Let's just say I don't run out and buy a new TV every time a new one is released. Same with my car - just because there is a newer model doesn't mean the one I have isn't every bit as good as it was when I bought it. I have also gone back to a more conventional mobile phone, after 10 years on smartphones, for pretty much exactly the reasons some people might prefer the original DUNE over any of the updates - most of what my smartphone does is stuff I don't give a shit about so I saw no reason to waste money on capabilities that I don't need or want when I could get everything I did want in a slider phone that cost US$75 brand new.
You’ll just come across like a hipster antiquarian when you use your phone in public.
they are too small to use most of their many functions comfortably without plugging in a keyboard, mouse and monitor.
Does XP support 4k screen resolutions?
i dunno and i dont care... EnergyXT2 looks and works great for me at 1440x900
its likely not going to be updated to accommodate ridiculously high screen resolutions and i will likely keep using it far into the future. :shrug:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

HunterKiller wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:08 am
Someone really needs to preserve your blood and cerebrospinal fluid, so they can mix them up and inject them into the world population. You are it MR. It's always been you....
You are the anti-dote to post-modernism and all evil in the universe.
:troll:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I like Synapse Audio Dune 1 VSTi
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:05 pm Maybe the CRTs are responsible for the hearing loss?
:lol:
No auto tune...

ENV1 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:51 amThus a TFT with its fixed array of pixels/subpixels will always have the advantage here simply because it is impossible for convergence and geometry to be anything less than 100% perfect.
Not "always", just "possibly". And that is easily balanced by the problem you inevitably get with uneven backlighting on TFT screens. OLED doesn't have that problem and neither do CRTs.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:36 am
ENV1 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:51 amThus a TFT with its fixed array of pixels/subpixels will always have the advantage here simply because it is impossible for convergence and geometry to be anything less than 100% perfect.
Not "always", just "possibly". And that is easily balanced by the problem you inevitably get with uneven backlighting on TFT screens. OLED doesn't have that problem and neither do CRTs.
Not sure what you mean.

Fact is that a TFT can NOT (as in ever, under any circumstance) have imperfect convergence and geometry because unlike a CRT (whose rays are drawing the picture 'freehand' onto an open canvas), the pixels/subpixels of a TFT are pre-arranged in a fixed static array that never changes, i.e. the picture cannot bend, stretch, bulge, skew, warp the way it does on a CRT, nor can the red/green/blue parts ever be out of alignment relative to each other because all pixels of a TFT are made out of the same 3-color subpixel-blocks which are spaced and positioned evenly across the screen. The backlight only serves to make the whole thing bright enough so you can actually see something, (i.e. its 100% unrelated to the picture itself), so even if the backlight was so bad that it is 50% brighter in the center than it is in the corners (or even if there werent any backlight at all), youll still have 100% perfect convergence and geometry in the picture itself because a TFT, due to said fixed array of pixels/subpixels, is technically incapable of any imperfections in that regard, i.e. its a physical impossibility.

So like i said...not sure what you mean.

I do so like Synapse Audio Dune 1 VSTi

Aloysius wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:37 am I bought v1 and still really like it. Was never tempted by the newer versions.
The new filter models are well worth the upgrade price, IMO. Really special. They totally transform the character of it, but the legacy filters are there too.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

:tu:

Return to “Instruments”