Massive X or Hive 2. Need an opinion.

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Igro
KVRAF
4065 posts since 26 Apr, 2007 from Noosphere

Post Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:52 am

I can buy one of these syhths currently, but having hard times to choose which would be better for me. It is all subjective, ofcourse. Obviosly, Massive X has way more features and sound manipulations. Hive 2 doesn't have FM, for instance. But sound wise, which would be better. All Massive X demos are plastic as hell, while Hive Demos show how pleasant and warm it can sound. Also, Hive 2 is capable for creating wired textures too. Its demos show both worlds.

Hive 2 VA pad (06:15):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaYZhiDDctw

Easy and beautiful. Reminds of G-Force ImoOscar2. Would Massive X sound as pleasant, as this one? Could any of you recreate that preset, so that we could compare it?
Also, basses on Hive 2 sound so massive and pleasant, while Massive X demo basses sound ear bleeding.
Last edited by Igro on Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Teksonik
KVRAF
12620 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Re: Massive X or Hive 2. Need an opinion.

Post Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:00 am

Igro wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:52 am
All Massive X demos are plastic as hell, while Hive Demos show how pleasant and warm it can sound.
You've answered your own question. Now try both plugin demos side by side and choose which one you like best.

You'll get no useful information here only opinions........ :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Igro
KVRAF

Post Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:06 am

Teksonik wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:00 am
You'll get no useful information here only opinions........ :wink:
I know. But I just thought that someone could prove, that Massive can sound lush and warm too. Here I can hear metallic properties all the time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkK-qz3mkO4

While Hive demos wants me to enter into lucid dreams. Really looking forward to some analouge warm preset packs that can show that Massive CAN sound pleasant too. Ih Hive 2, even noisy presets sounds nice and calming.
Last edited by Igro on Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

dune_rave
KVRian
1363 posts since 23 Jun, 2006 from Hungary

Post Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:09 am

which company did better v2 compared to v1: my answer is u-he. if ni made such update with massive, then massivex would blow your mind.
Plus I think NI did not empasize enough the fact that you can't even install massive x if your cpu is not AVX compatible.

chk071
KVRAF
21225 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:44 am

Massive X sounds a lot more warm to me. Hive is cold and metallic.

But, don't take it from anyone. Demo both yourself, and judge for yourself which one sounds better to you. It's quite a odd decision though, Hive is a unison monster like Sylenth or Spire, while Massive is a rather analog modelled synth, which doesn't compromise modelling details for CPU consumption, which is kind of the whole point of Hive, to get as many voices as possible. They're also vastly different in terms of functionality and operation. If you're looking for something like Hive, rather look at Spire, Sylenth1, or Dune 3, which are much more like Hive than Massive X is.

Massive X is great though, i really like it.

Elektronisch
KVRAF
3299 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Post Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:48 am

Download a demo and try it yourself?

BDeep
KVRAF
2734 posts since 13 Feb, 2012 from Amsterdam

Post Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:50 am

chk071 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:44 am

But, don't take it from anyone. Demo both yourself, and judge for yourself which one sounds better to you. It's quite a odd decision though, Hive is a unison monster like Sylenth or Spire, while Massive is a rather analog modelled synth, which doesn't compromise modelling details for CPU consumption, which is kind of the whole point of Hive, to get as many voices as possible. They're also vastly different in terms of functionality and operation. If you're looking for something like Hive, rather look at Spire, Sylenth1, or Dune 3, which are much more like Hive than Massive X is.

Massive X is great though, i really like it.
Thank you for writing it up so eloquently, saves me the trouble :)
Or in other words "+1"

Although I don't think Hive is particularly cold sounding.

fisherKing
KVRAF
1932 posts since 6 Aug, 2009

Post Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:03 am

they're so different. i have hive, never use it (altho there's nothing wrong with it). got massive x, am having fun with it; but that's just me. demo demo demo.... as said, only you can determine your needs/likes.
always one plugin short of perfection...

vurt
addled muppet weed
48783 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:08 am

my opinion?
demo both.

Stefken
KVRian
1478 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Post Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:23 am

Hive2, both soundwise and implementation wise. The implementation of Hive is very solid. The modulation options in Hive2 seems deceptively simple but are actually very powerfull. I would only hope for a few extra filters.

MX: the sound is pretty hard and punchy. I like the filters. The gui implementation is bad (high risk for rsi injuries even) and even in the numbers it falls short. It's somewhat seen as a semi-modular synth but only has 2 main osc (so no suboscs ) and 1 filter. If you want to remedy that, you already lose all your inserts. As for FX, you get 3 effects. Ok, that's usable but these numbers and usability are pretty much a joke compared to Avenger. Avenger has 16 outs, can have 50 fx, 8 osc (with subosc), 12 drums, 8 arp, 8 envelopes, etc etc. If MX was going for a semi-modular implementation that allows all kinds of possibilities, then even just on the numbers it falls short.
Last edited by Stefken on Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Igro
KVRAF

Post Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:28 am

chk071 wrote:
Presets like, it is not true. Not sure about your own presets. Is NI Razor warm to you? Cause Massive X sounds alike. Massive aslo sounds like Waldorf Largo, which is an ice-cold mashine.

Teksonik
KVRAF

Post Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:40 am

chk071 wrote:
Hive is cold and metallic when chk071 is using it.
Fixed that for ya....... :tu:
chk071 wrote:
Massive is a rather analog modelled synth,
Well if you define "analog modeled" as any synth with a Saw Wave and a Low Pass Filter then yes but that means almost every synth is "analog modeled".

But this perfectly shows what I was saying. The OP is not going to get anything but opinions here not facts. He will simply get people recommending their personal favorite not what's best for him.

Demo Demo Demo and don't let anyone's personal preference sway your decision. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Stefken
KVRian

Post Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:46 am

Well, he did ask for opinions. And people can give him pointers he did not know or think about.
But as a general rule: demo everything.

Teksonik
KVRAF

Post Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:55 am

Opinions are like arseholes....everyone has one and they all stink..... :wink:

Stefken
KVRian

Post Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:59 am

I guess that's why 'social' media stink so much.

But this is the title of the thread : "Massive X or Hive 2. Need an opinion".

Return to “Instruments”