NKS synth. What to buy?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
greedy.mf
KVRist
212 posts since 21 Jul, 2015

Post Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:16 am

Hello, KVR crowd.

Recently I purchased a NI A25 controller with Komplete Kontrol.

I like the NKS approach a lot so now I'm thinking about getting the most out of it.
My main priorities are: sound palette, number of presets, sensible control mapping.
I'm thinking Massive or Hive 2, because both fit quite good. Will demo Dune 3, however I'm concerned about number of presets.

What is your best favourite NKS synth? I'm talking about reasonable preset adjustments, not to build patch from scratch.

acYm
KVRian
1019 posts since 11 Sep, 2015

Re: NKS synth. What to buy?

Post Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:26 am

yeah building patches from scratch isn't really a thing with this type of controller. it's more for light tweaking.
you want to get something that has macro knobs, ideally... like massive, serum or spire

greedy.mf
KVRist
212 posts since 21 Jul, 2015

Post Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:03 pm

acYm wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:26 am
yeah building patches from scratch isn't really a thing with this type of controller. it's more for light tweaking.
you want to get something that has macro knobs, ideally... like massive, serum or spire
Macros aren't silver bullets - at least for Serum, which I own.
There are only 4 of them, and for most presets they are not assigned.
Even though I love Serum, it's very mousy[dead? :hihi: ] and pretty much anti-Kontrol.
I believe for efficient tweakng at least ADSRs and filter control should be available.

Yesterday I tried NI Super 8 and was impressed with sound and clean UI. Anyone use it with Kontrol?

sacer
KVRian
594 posts since 8 Jan, 2012 from frankfurt, Germany

Post Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:04 am

aMUSEd
KVRAF
31057 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:11 am

Plus the NKS user library - in my sig

Reefius
KVRian
742 posts since 7 Dec, 2013 from Belgium

Post Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:23 am

The Legend is very good and it's NKS compatible:
https://www.synapse-audio.com/thelegend.html

Most U-He synths are also NKS ready and of course everything by NI (except maybe their very old stuff).

While most NKS user libraries are excellent, I don't like the way Maschine and Komplete Kontrol handle user presets. Even the smallest change (for example saving your own preset) will trigger a full rescan of all user content on the next startup. If you have some full NKS user libraries installed, this can take a while.

bharris22
KVRAF
1555 posts since 3 Mar, 2010

Post Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:15 am

aMUSEd wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:11 am
Did you tag and make samples of the factory presets for the synths in your library, or do these NKS files only include the controller mappings?

Either way, thank you!

goldenlotus12
KVRer
10 posts since 12 Feb, 2019

Post Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:43 pm

Absynth and Massive are not as easy for a beginner to use than FM8 or u-He products if you are looking for NKS format tools
The quality and workflow of u-he is better than NI products
Diva is great if your computer can handle it
Repro is just great
Hive is a little electronic artificial sounding and requires more plugins to use in an effort to produce depth or spatial character to the sound you are making

aMUSEd
KVRAF
31057 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:46 pm

bharris22 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:15 am
aMUSEd wrote:
Did you tag and make samples of the factory presets for the synths in your library, or do these NKS files only include the controller mappings?

Either way, thank you!
Some do

acid alex
KVRist
139 posts since 23 Feb, 2017

Post Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:29 am

I recently bought a Maschine and, as well as the NI instruments, use the following VST instruments, which all are NKS ready.

Dune 3
The Legend
Rob Papen Go2
Repro 1/5
Ultra Analog 2
Korg Gadget Collection

I also own a number of VST instruments for which I have installed 3rd party NKS presets/mappings.

Hybrid 3 (loads of presets!)
The Riser
Vacuum Pro
Xpand!2
Analog Lab 4
Bass Station
V-Station
TAL Bassline
TAL-U-NO-LX
Tyrell (Free)

The only non NKS compatible synth I use with Maschine is ABL3, but it only has 6 knobs so was easy to map and no need for presets with this one.

To be totally honest I am really happy with these synths. Out of all of them I would say that Ultra Analog 2, Repro 1/5, TAL Bassline and TAL-U-No-LX are the easiest to program new patches from INIT, but all of them are very accessible for tweaking existing patches to your liking. I am really happy with my Maschine MK3, Jam, M32 and the NKS plugin integration. It's a great little setup and I don't miss my hardware rig at all (which is now sold). Well, maybe a little bit!!

Jim Rosebrook
KVRist
47 posts since 6 Mar, 2012 from Chillicothe, Ohio

Post Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:49 am

Super 8 is a good choice for your A25 and how you've expressed your wants.

Modular Icons might be another good choice.

Jim Rosebrook
KVRist
47 posts since 6 Mar, 2012 from Chillicothe, Ohio

Post Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:40 am

greedy.mf wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:16 am
Hello, KVR crowd.

Recently I purchased a NI A25 controller with Komplete Kontrol.

I like the NKS approach a lot so now I'm thinking about getting the most out of it.
My main priorities are: sound palette, number of presets, sensible control mapping.
I'm thinking Massive or Hive 2, because both fit quite good. Will demo Dune 3, however I'm concerned about number of presets.

What is your best favourite NKS synth? I'm talking about reasonable preset adjustments, not to build patch from scratch.
And to double back on your most immediate goals..

Do you think your focus for now is more about making songs or sounds?

If making songs is your stronger leaning.. I'd again suggest something from NI's Play Series. They'll give you just enough controls to shape what you need to fit into a song.. and they all map beautifully to your A25.

Hard-core sound makers might snicker at the Play Series, but they are wonderful for song writers who want to focus on something else.

Reefius
KVRian
742 posts since 7 Dec, 2013 from Belgium

Post Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:55 am

acid alex wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:29 am
I also own a number of VST instruments for which I have installed 3rd party NKS presets/mappings.
I stopped using third party NKS presets, because if you only add or alter one file (like saving a preset of your own ), Maschine and Komplete Kontrol scan all the user folders all over again, which can take quite a while if you have a lot of presets.

I found this extremely annoying, having to wait up to 10 minutes every time I wanted to use Maschine or Komplete Kontrol.

dune_rave
KVRian
1375 posts since 23 Jun, 2006 from Hungary

Post Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:43 am

I also don't use nks to control synth, but there's another thing where nks is good.
if you have many NI plugs, you can quickly find sounds with nks.

acid alex
KVRist
139 posts since 23 Feb, 2017

Post Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:22 am

aMUSEd wrote:
No Valhalla Delay NKS presets yet? :)

Return to “Instruments”