Samplemodeling Solo & Ensemble Strings are out

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Giorgio Tommasini
KVRer
10 posts since 15 Apr, 2005

Post Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:33 am

The brand new Samplemodeling Solo & Ensemble Strings, created by Giorgio Tommasini & Peter Siedlaczek are finally out!

The package includes Solo Violin, Viola, Cello and Double Bass, as well as First & Second Violins, Violas, Cellos and Double Basses.

For a detailed description, please visit the Samplemodeling Strings product page. https://samplemodeling.com/en/products_strings.php

The retail price is 399 EUR (+ VAT if applicable).

Enjoy!

Giorgio & Peter

jazman64
KVRer
12 posts since 17 Dec, 2007

Re: Samplemodeling Solo & Ensemble Strings are out

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:16 pm

I'm having some fun with them!

FatisV
KVRer
22 posts since 6 Feb, 2013

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:26 pm

Last edited by FatisV on Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
FV

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
6779 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:29 pm

I’ve always been a fan of the brass, so when I heard this was coming I held off getting the audio modeling violin (I’ve already got the cello), in case I’d just get this pack instead. Price is a bit high when I’m mostly interested in having a solo violin and cello, but the others could be cool. I like the audio modeling cello though it is a bit synthy sounding, so I thought I might like sample modeling approach a little better. Any comparisons with the solos from each?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

FatisV
KVRer

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:29 am

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:29 pm
I’ve always been a fan of the brass, so when I heard this was coming I held off getting the audio modeling violin (I’ve already got the cello), in case I’d just get this pack instead. Price is a bit high when I’m mostly interested in having a solo violin and cello, but the others could be cool. I like the audio modeling cello though it is a bit synthy sounding, so I thought I might like sample modeling approach a little better. Any comparisons with the solos from each?
I also love AM Strings a lot and I did some nice things with them. The problem with Physical Modeling is the complex interaction of parameters (bow pressure, speed, position etc.) requested to get a realistic sound, before you start working on a realistic phrasing. With this Sample Modeling approach instead, I get a decent or good sound very quickly and so I can concentrate on musical shaping.

Still AM Strings can do few things that are impossible for Sample Modeling Strings in the field of unusual string sound and effects (e.g. extreme or rough use of the bow pressure, scratches, slides etc.) and some pretty advanced fingering. Sample Modeling Strings can reach a full and realistic sound in lyrical sustain that is not possible with AM Strings, due to the technical limitations of Physical Modeling you also pointed out.

My next step in exploration, will be merging them, because I suspect that blending them, one can reach pretty surprising results!
FV

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
6779 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:33 am

Is it possible to use the modwheel for the back and forth motion that sort of simulates the back and forth of the bow? I actually have a ExpressiveE Touche which is good for that. Can the sample modeling strings respond like at the end of this video?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTxgHJMpKsw
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

FatisV
KVRer

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:32 am

Nope, sorry. This approach is suitable only for physical modeling, because (as you probably remember) the sound source is coming from a synth simulating the friction of the bow on the string.

Sample Modeling approach is based on real samples, and the transition between different speed/pressure real layers is made with the proprietary harmonic alignment technology. The good use you can still make of the great controller you own, is modulating in real time several controllers (e.g. dynamic expression, vibrato depth, vibrato rate and/or attack time). That way you may play live on the keyboard an impressively expressive line without the need of any KS.

(I do it with a ROLI pad 3 axis controller for instance)
FV

Return to “Instruments”