Available now: Tone2 Icarus2

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Markus Krause
KVRist
364 posts since 2 Jul, 2018

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:28 am

] Peter:H [ wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:57 am
Icarus2 loads fine - Load time until GUI shows, Win10, i7 4Ghz, 64bit, 32GB Ram, Bitwig 3.1 - about 1 Second.

In Bitwig please use the "Together" mode for hosting plugins (settings page) - it will host all plugins together in one of the background Plugin processes. There are other modes with better "isolation" against plugin crashes, but these modes are more expensive in terms of resource utilization.
And because I have fallen into this trap myself very often one comment - it's often an OSI Layer 8 Problem. I recommend to check your OSI Layer 8!

Have fun making music with Icarus2 - Cool Synth!

BR
] Peter:H [
Thanks Peter. This is an important hint!
If several instances of Icarus or other Tone products are used they share their identical resources (waveforms, wavetables, images etc). Sharing resources reduces the required RAM as well speeds up the loading time.
If the hosts prevents the sharing by isolating the processes it can have a negative effect on the loading time.

Have a nice weekend,
Markus
Tone2 Audiosoftware https://www.tone2.com

simmo75
KVRAF
1872 posts since 25 Mar, 2016 from Seattle

Re: Available now: Tone2 Icarus2

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:29 am

What a wonderful synth Icarus 2 is, thank you Tone2. The GUI is spot on and the sound is lush. :clap:

carlosigls
KVRist
76 posts since 9 Nov, 2012

Re: Available now: Tone2 Icarus2

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:32 am

I have tried the demo and I am impressed. Excellent synthesizer, now I just need to have the money to buy it :)

perfumer
Banned
663 posts since 4 Oct, 2018

Re: Available now: Tone2 Icarus2

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:41 am

Markus Krause wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:31 am
Please stick with the facts. Fact is that you do not own Icarus2 and you're also not the developer. You can't know technical details how the protection works. Please note that i can not discuss this in a public forum. This is one of the most basic rules in security.
I own a license, not the intellectual property for Icarus, OF COURSE.

Since you say you cannot disclose how protection works, there are no 'facts' to discuss thus far.

All I'm saying, since it's 'none of the above', and since tone2 has been known in the past to be very aggressive in protecting its software, anyone can figure it's probably phoning home.

In a private message from before you made your previous post you say it's definitely not phoning home (however, this can't be discussed, etc.). This statement is missing from your post above. A competent and independent third-party could check and say what's actually going on - proof and pudding. But since you say security can't be discussed, this would probably be considered illegal by you. So I don't know, really.

I could devise some practical tests for myself, but the results wouldn't be conclusive and frankly I'm not into wasting my time for this. Just wanted to say the obvious with my post above, and had to reply to your messages with another post. There will be no third post from me on this topic.

Caine123
KVRAF
6164 posts since 5 Aug, 2009

Re: Available now: Tone2 Icarus2

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:48 am

perfumer wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:41 am
Markus Krause wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:31 am
Please stick with the facts. Fact is that you do not own Icarus2 and you're also not the developer. You can't know technical details how the protection works. Please note that i can not discuss this in a public forum. This is one of the most basic rules in security.
I own a license, not the intellectual property for Icarus, OF COURSE.

Since you say you cannot disclose how protection works, there are no 'facts' to discuss thus far.

All I'm saying, since it's 'none of the above', and since tone2 has been known in the past to be very aggressive in protecting its software, anyone can figure it's probably phoning home.

In a private message from before you made your previous post you say it's definitely not phoning home (however, this can't be discussed, etc.). This statement is missing from your post above. A competent and independent third-party could check and say what's actually going on - proof and pudding. But since you say security can't be discussed, this would probably be considered illegal by you. So I don't know, really.

I could devise some practical tests for myself, but the results wouldn't be conclusive and frankly I'm not into wasting my time for this. Just wanted to say the obvious with my post above, and had to reply to your messages with another post. There will be no third post from me on this topic.
Hmmm Sounds Strange.
There are some nice tools like WIRESHARK to track the data packages etc. If it is not phoning home....
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

tasty tatsyn
KVRist
406 posts since 19 Jun, 2016

Re: Available now: Tone2 Icarus2

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:49 am

perfumer wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:15 am
Markus Krause wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:49 am
What can slow down loading times of software?

- Other software which accesses the harddisc is running in the background
- Slow harddiscs. Instead consider buying a SSD
- Fragmented harddiscs. Run a defragmentation in Windows
- A Windows-update is running in the background
- A virus scanner is running in the background
- A weak CPU
- Slow RAM
- Bad settings in the Bios
- Missing or bad Windows-drivers for the Mainboard

What can additionally slow down loading times in Icarus?

- You placed a massive number of .wav files to the Icarus_wavetables directory
- You did not enable Multicore / Multiprocessor support in the host
Phoning home to see if license is legit, getting blocked by a firewall, then trying again and again, then saying: 'Oh, it seems there's no Internet connection. I'll have to load after all.'
I have also experienced slow DAW/project shut-down times with my 100% legal licences of Nemesis and Icarus 1. Have never experienced anything similar with anything else. That's why I suppose it's phoning home. Also, this doesn't happen every time - which is more reason to suspect this.

Oh, and I don't have any of the possible causes you listed.
**********************

I too have a few Tone2 Synths + FX.
I too have a firewall.

Never had such issues, there's a possibility there's something on your system/firewall.


It's sad we're falling into derail attempt n851

unlike other plugins that "phone somewhere" in the middle of the session or when they start, my Tone2 Plugins Never did this!
*Side note, Icarus is one of my fast loading Plugins*

Some of those plugins have demos and i checked that behaviour before buying them, and i then decided i still wanted them. Others don't even have a demo.

Furthermore, Tone2 provides demos and i have no idea if you have the synth or not.....
Anyhow i'm sure you can try the demo and decide if you want to use it or not.


I could not type all this for the 10th time but for some reason i can't really grasp why, some people log in KVR to this nonsense derail attempts every 48 to 71 hours, some even just create accounts to do it....... :shock: :eek:
Last edited by tasty tatsyn on Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sureno
KVRian
1123 posts since 4 May, 2008 from West London Depot

Re: Available now: Tone2 Icarus2

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:53 am

Why do people buy plugins That they aren’t happy with the security in place on them??? :dog:

tasty tatsyn
KVRist
406 posts since 19 Jun, 2016

Re: Available now: Tone2 Icarus2

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:19 pm

sureno wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:53 am
Why do people buy plugins That they aren’t happy with the security in place on them??? :dog:
************************************
or dislike all the 26 color schemes in Icarus, yes, out of 26 he likes.... none i guess....
and sound is not important to him either according to his words, serious stuff right there :!:

i too should probably with a relatively fast LFO have a couple of glasses of wine and go regularly to some developer page and say something like....

~~~~~~
...."i find darker grey too dark, and lighter grey too bright. The developer should hire a colour specialist so i can consider picking this synth for the just exact right shade of grey! "

"It should also consider that my Screen has a special exponential hexagonal contrast curve for greys too!

just not navy blue mixed with grey because i find grey mixed with navy blue uninteresting... and did i mention.... Blueish and Watery!
.. Just an opinion though..... i understand the developer probably doesn't have my eyes and the exponential hexagonal greys contrast curve 1081x519 screen "

~~~~~

enough of that i guess.....

If some people could have some form of usefull suggestions to make those just get lost in all that noise... again, just an opinion... back on topic..

https://soundcloud.com/tatsyn/ancient-network

Icarus x5 + Pigments + Omnisphere

TheNeverScene
KVRian
689 posts since 1 Dec, 2016

Re: Available now: Tone2 Icarus2

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:38 pm

Wasn't trying to start a landslide, just stating what I am experiencing. I've asked others and it loads fine for them, so I was just looking for some things to check. I do own Icarus2. Multithreading enabled and no additional wav files. I experienced similar load times with Slate VRack. Pretty fast computer and Icarus1 pops right up. I will check my OSI layer 8 once I figure out what that is. Thanks.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Hanz Meyzer
KVRian
1482 posts since 20 Oct, 2014

Re: Available now: Tone2 Icarus2

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:39 pm

Loading time here on macbook pro 15 late 2013: 1 second, beat that! 8) I don't even use sandboxing for Icarus in Bitwig, since I know it runs rock solid.

@TheNeverScene Do you run a virus checker? If so, try to disable all realtime/background checking of it and see if this helps.

TheNeverScene
KVRian
689 posts since 1 Dec, 2016

Re: Available now: Tone2 Icarus2

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:50 pm

Thanks for nothin' @PeterH....nice one.

@Hanz Meyzer I don't have any realtime virus checking enabled that I know of, but I'll check. I'm pretty sure everthing there is set to manual. I'll check. I know it's something on my end, just trying to figure it out. Thanks for the help!
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

User avatar
Russell Grand
KVRAF
2465 posts since 22 May, 2017

Re: Available now: Tone2 Icarus2

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:53 pm

As usual, the fanboys are instantly on the attack when anyone has something to say that goes against the grain. That's right, get 'em, boys! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

TheNeverScene
KVRian
689 posts since 1 Dec, 2016

Re: Available now: Tone2 Icarus2

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:59 pm

And I'm a fan of the synth, especially 2...just trying to get it sorted :shrug:
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

TheNeverScene
KVRian
689 posts since 1 Dec, 2016

Re: Available now: Tone2 Icarus2

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:01 pm

Once it loads, cpu usage is ridiculously low.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

User avatar
Russell Grand
KVRAF
2465 posts since 22 May, 2017

Re: Available now: Tone2 Icarus2

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:18 pm

TheNeverScene wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:59 pm
And I'm a fan of the synth, especially 2...just trying to get it sorted :shrug:
Sure, man. I wasn't aiming at you in my comment. Fanboys in general that don't allow anyone to say a word against their software/developer of choice was my target. For what it's worth, I used to love Tone2. Not so much the dev, but...

Return to “Instruments”