Any love for Dmitry Sches Thorn?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

I owned DS Thorn (not PA), but sold it. Still using ThornCM. It's great synth!
AudioThing|Cableguys|Infected Mushrooms|Image-Line|Klanghelm|Tokyo Dawn Records|Tritik|Sonible|Valhalla DSP|Voxengo|Youlean
Dmitry Sches|KV331|Surge Synth Team|u-he

It's alright. Heavy on the cpu but I tend to pull it up for a tiny bit just to bounce a sound out of it

It's not that bad on CPU for what it is. Sure, it uses more than DUNE but what big synth doesn't? I don't find it any worse than something like Hive. ANA 2 is a bit kinder on your CPU but not enough that it would affect which I used.

Thorn is my go-to "big" synth. It's got a great sound and the workflow is much better than any comparable instrument. The way it is set up makes it really quick to do simple things and you only have to add complexity as you need it. The presets for things like Glitch sequences, MSEGs, effects and the Harmonic Filter make it really easy to make very complex timbres, quickly. I honestly don't think there is a better designed synth out there.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Good synth and ez to get results quick.

I prefer Diversion that synth has a lot of tricks up its sleeve. Heavy on cpu, mind.

I absolutely love it! Sounds fantastic. Use it in every project. You would have to prise it out of my cold, dead hands.
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

It gets a fair bit of use here, I really like the GUI too.

Haven't spent a great deal of time learning it from the ground up, a lot of the time it's pretty much the presets that have impressed me. Good synth
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

When a synthesizer makes me think about it for many of my projects, it becomes worthy of my respect and won a special place in my arsenal. That happens to me with Thorn and Diversion. Thorn is an amazing blend of wild tonal possibilities with unique features to keep that mega flow torrent under control. 

The interaction between Shape/Harmonic Filter, smart modulation routing via LFO and MSEG to oscillators and the fantastic and kinetical Loop, Glitch, Arpeggio, Effects and MOD Matrix, is a superb prism of creative resources to me.  Its handling of the wavetables, filters and noise Oscillator complete the picture with useful and configurable effects.

Thorn let me create sounds from lead tones, crisp punchy basses, pluck and pads, keys, and even out of the world textures as very few of my others fav synth. It's as if it had a natural ability to adapt to almost any situation, if you know how to handle it well, of course. 
And I could extend even more on this impressive synth, and also talk about Diversion, but I'm going to leave some party time for later.

Thanks Dmitry!  As I said to you, you are a synth world genius.

It is a great modern sounding synth, workflow is also easy and the GUI is slick and beautiful, but i tend to shy away from plugins that eats too much of my cpu power. Dmitry's plugins are amazing but i wish they were more optimised.
There is no valid reason for Thorn to eat 15%-20% for a 16 unison supersaw, while Synthmaster takes 4%-5% for a supersaw with double the number of unison (just an example).

A small tip, the Noise oscillator can load wav samples, I didn't noticed that until i read it somewhere online.

^^^there is a very good reason for it. stop trying to ruin it. it's the only modern software instrument that works correctly at the moment (even if there is stepping in the oscillator frequencies).

Dasheesh wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:36 pm ^^^there is a very good reason for it. stop trying to ruin it. it's the only modern software instrument that works correctly at the moment (even if there is stepping in the oscillator frequencies).
Sorry I don't quite understand what you're trying to say.
Good reason for what?
What exactly am i ruining? 😄
And how is that the only modern synth that works correctly at the moment? That's quite a statement, man.

I don't think that a synth needs to be a CPU hog to sound good, that's why i compared Thorn to the equally good sounding Synthmaster.
This is all my opinion, some people couldn't care less about cpu usage, but i do.

synthmaster is sampled oscillators.

Dasheesh wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:53 pm synthmaster is sampled oscillators.
But it sounds great too, what difference does it make for the end user?

I cant help but feel if this synth hadn't gone to PA it would have had a lot more development.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:02 pm I cant help but feel if this synth hadn't gone to PA it would have had a lot more development.
I doubt it. Diversion's last updates has been beginning of 2016, for example. And, AFAIK, it didn't have any groundbreaking changes either.
ferez21 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:01 pm
Dasheesh wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:53 pm synthmaster is sampled oscillators.
But it sounds great too
Arguable.

Welll... maybe a developer can chime in, and explain it, but, the way I alwasy understood it is, that calculating the waveforms like Thorn does (should be the same as in wavetable synths) is more CPU heavy, and, especially, more CPU heavy than using sampled oscillators.

I'm actually a bit surprised though. Does Synthmaster really do that? I thought that at least the basic waveforms are calculated, not sampled.

SLiC wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:02 pm I cant help but feel if this synth hadn't gone to PA it would have had a lot more development.
i'm being told diversion 2 has been in the works. now that PA owns ppg, it makes me wonder if a monster is in the works.

Return to “Instruments”