Any love for Dmitry Sches Thorn?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

I like Diversion and Thorn and don´t compare them to other synths. It´s like guitars, you can have many and each has a different vibe. Both are capable of very nice sounds!

dasen wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:09 pm Hey,

Any love here for Dmitry Sches Thorn?
NOPE. :shrug:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

nusound mind wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:38 am That said if I needed one for bass duty I'd probably reach for Thorn first over Diversion.
Agreed... Thorn is a very bass heavy synth. And Diversion has a vast array of sound design capabilities.

Of course, it's nice to have both. :)

Thorn is great, I'm a fan. I like what I can get out of it. It can be subtle and of course it can be made to be hard driven into space.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual.
~A.Rand

ferez21 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:07 amWell, the same point persists, let's compare it to DUNE since you like its sound, a vst synth can sound great without hogging the CPU, and using some complicated architecture to achieve an end result that has no perceivable benefits doesn't make sense to me.
The thing is, that's what makes DUNE so amazing and Synapse such a great developer. I don't think you can expect that kind of performance across the board. It's probably also why DUNE is nearly always full price but you mostly only have to pay $29 to get Thorn, less if you have a voucher. The other thing is that I never use DUNE for anything, whereas I go out of my way to find uses for Thorn. It's ever-so-slightly above average CPU use is more than compensated for by it's ease of use and great sound quality.

That's the thing, every synth has strengths and weaknesses, you just have to decide whether the pros outweigh the cons, on a case by case basis. In the case of DUNE, nothing it does well makes up for its appalling workflow, whereas I find Thorn's CPU use - which I had never even noticed until I went looking the other day - is an easy trade-off for all the things it does well. It starts to be an issue if I want to run 5 instances of RePro 5 or Knifonium but even my old Core i5 laptop could handle 5 instances of Thorn without any trouble.
nusound mind wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:38 amThat said if I needed one for bass duty I'd probably reach for Thorn first over Diversion.
That's interesting because if there is one thing I wouldn't use Thorn for, it's basslines. I don't think its filter is good enough for that kind of work and it seems like a lot of synth to use on something that you can do as easily on simpler synths. JP6K has become my go-to bass machine - it is so quick and easy and never fails to give me what I need.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:54 am
That's interesting because if there is one thing I wouldn't use Thorn for, it's basslines. I don't think its filter is good enough for that kind of work and it seems like a lot of synth to use on something that you can do as easily on simpler synths. JP6K has become my go-to bass machine - it is so quick and easy and never fails to give me what I need.
I'm new to Thorn despite owning it for awhile, tried it maybe 3 times altogether before last week or so but it struck me immediately as superior to Diversion bass wise. More plucky? idk. Now it's in a couple projects and has worked every time I've trialed it for something.

Typically I go Spire, Repro-1 or a couple others as first try outs for basslines. Repro 1 could be said to be a lot of synth too but otoh depending on the track the sound of the bass is crucial and that thing delivers where it counts, least when I'm going for that dark shredding vibe Repro can do.

Then again sometimes a sine wave is all I need for subbier stuff.
Last edited by nusound mind on Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Effectsworks wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:41 am
nusound mind wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:38 am That said if I needed one for bass duty I'd probably reach for Thorn first over Diversion.
Agreed... Thorn is a very bass heavy synth. And Diversion has a vast array of sound design capabilities.

For sure. Far as Diversion goes I love it for pads, drones or fx type stuff. It's a synth I can zone out on like almost no other. I've found cpu wise if I start from choice factory presets it's alot more manageable than when I've started from init for whatever reason. That and keep unison low.

nusound mind wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:36 am That and keep unison low.
The unison sounds great but it's vicious on cpu. :(

I like Thorn very much. 3 or 4 years ago it was my main synth. I never noticed any CPU hogging even though I used an older 2009 PC back then.

What I hated was the switch to Plugin Alliance but I bit that bullet anyway. By now I am ok with it, because I got some good deals on synths like Lion and Knifonium (speaking of a CPU hog). I don't have much use for other PA tools though.

You have to create an account on PA to buy Thorn, right? Do they accept paypal? Do you require anything other than Thorn's serial number to register the plugin? I like the feature set and the sound of it, but the PA distribution always kind of scared me off. If they're just distributors, then I might pull the trigger at some point.

crickey13 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:38 pm You have to create an account on PA to buy Thorn, right? Do they accept paypal? Do you require anything other than Thorn's serial number to register the plugin? I like the feature set and the sound of it, but the PA distribution always kind of scared me off. If they're just distributors, then I might pull the trigger at some point.
PA is smooth, nothing to worry about, you pay with Paypal, you download the individual plugin and not some centralized bs, you install it on your computer then you activate it by logging in within the plugin interface once you load the plugin in your daw.

mountainmaster wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:44 am I like Thorn very much. 3 or 4 years ago it was my main synth. I never noticed any CPU hogging even though I used an older 2009 PC back then.
Thorn is great with CPU.

Effectsworks wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:48 pm
mountainmaster wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:44 am I like Thorn very much. 3 or 4 years ago it was my main synth. I never noticed any CPU hogging even though I used an older 2009 PC back then.
Thorn is great with CPU.
If you play a sine wave with 0 unison, yeah it is.
It is definitely not the worse CPU hog out there, but CPU quickly spikes once you start making more complicated patches.

I got the CM version with a few less features. Does anyone know whether patches made in the CM version will load fine in the full version?
Effectsworks wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:41 am

What makes it "bass heavy"? I'm sure it can be used for other type of sounds as well?

ferez21 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:47 pm you install it on your computer then you activate it by logging in within the plugin interface once you load the plugin in your daw.
Thanks. So it's basically a challenge/response CP? In the kvr database, it says serial number registration, but I guess that has changed since Dimitri switched to PA.

Return to “Instruments”