One Synth Challenge #127: Any One u-he Synth (Carl_saved wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
doctorbob
KVRian
1352 posts since 7 Mar, 2014

Post Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:20 am

@kosmikfead Wow! Thank you very much So glad you liked it. It will of course split the voting public.

dB

Dirtgrain
KVRist
293 posts since 12 Jan, 2019

Re: One Synth Challenge #127: Any One u-he Synth (Voting Started!)

Post Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:37 am

I need the criticism. Especially, I am messing up in the mastering phase, which unfortunately I did not spend enough time on. My first three tracks that I put on Spotify months ago wound up being significantly quieter than other Spotify tracks. I mastered them to -14 LUFS. Somebody told me that the -14 LUFS goal for Spotify was BS and that I should aim for -9. I did this for this latest OSC, and my crap is way too loud. What do you all aim for when using Soundcloud?

functionform
KVRist
411 posts since 13 May, 2017 from Virginia

Post Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:51 am

Soundcloud has no LUFS target. I recently saw a thread that mentioned that top releases clip all day long and no one really cares about LUFS unless you are in broadcasting. Make of that what you will.

mmGhost
KVRist
227 posts since 24 Aug, 2009 from CO, USA

Post Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:08 pm

Dirtgrain wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:37 am
I need the criticism. Especially, I am messing up in the mastering phase, which unfortunately I did not spend enough time on. My first three tracks that I put on Spotify months ago wound up being significantly quieter than other Spotify tracks. I mastered them to -14 LUFS. Somebody told me that the -14 LUFS goal for Spotify was BS and that I should aim for -9. I did this for this latest OSC, and my crap is way too loud. What do you all aim for when using Soundcloud?
yeah everyone struggles with this so much. i like 'em loud and proud, but it depends on the genre. i always get comments that my tracks are too loud in OSC, but then on drum and bass forums people think they are too soft, so go figure.

the best thing is just compare to some commercial tracks that are kind of in your genre and see what the standard is. at the end of the day make your track the way you want it.

most people on this forum know that i'm of the "do it in the mix" philosophy vs mastering. in fact on my entry this month i have slight EQ-ing Lim6 on the master, but only doing about 2.5 dB of gain reduction max.

i typically aim for a DR value of 8 when making Neuro tunes. by comparison to 1960's beatles this is horrendous and blasphemous, but by modern drum and bass standards this is actually tame.
Soundcloud | Spotify | YouTube Tutorials
"Just sidechain everything to everything"

dominik.bucher
KVRer
2 posts since 26 Sep, 2019

Post Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:33 pm

Voted, and wow are there some great (and refreshingly diverse) tracks there! Was tough to use the whole 1-5 spectrum ;)
Last edited by dominik.bucher on Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Medniex
KVRist
75 posts since 16 Apr, 2017 from Rīga

Post Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:38 pm

Voted! That was really productive round.
KO :ud:

mclstr
KVRist
234 posts since 13 Dec, 2016 from Tucson, AZ, USA

Post Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:05 pm

I voted.
All good stuff.

ontrackp
KVRian
698 posts since 13 Jan, 2013 from United States

Post Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:27 pm

functionform wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:51 am
Soundcloud has no LUFS target. I recently saw a thread that mentioned that top releases clip all day long and no one really cares about LUFS unless you are in broadcasting. Make of that what you will.
I can confirm that broadcasters care a lot about LUFS or LKFS. They will fail you on Quality Control if you are not +1 or -1 to their target which is generally -24 for program mixes (long term readings). They also have hard limits for peaks (usually -10).

The streaming services are all different -- Soundcloud does not have a standard -- I usually end up around -11 or -12 and feel that it's loud enough and try not to allow clipping -- or as little as possible.

ThePresent
KVRist
444 posts since 17 Dec, 2013 from The Netherlands

Post Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:16 am

Voted

JKF Flashico
KVRist
114 posts since 28 Oct, 2012

Post Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:27 am

Voted

junklight
KVRer
3 posts since 22 Sep, 2019

Post Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:52 am

Voted

EnGee
KVRAF
5579 posts since 7 Oct, 2005 from NZ

Post Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:59 pm

Voted :tu:
Let's donate to help the kids and save our planet.

jasinski
KVRian
646 posts since 20 Oct, 2003 from Seattle

Post Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:44 pm

Too many songs this month and they're all pretty good. You all need to stop getting good at making music! :)

You are makin' voting hard.

EnGee
KVRAF
5579 posts since 7 Oct, 2005 from NZ

Post Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:29 pm

Indeed! So many good music with refreshing various styles. I found it hard to not give 5 or 4 points to most of them. There were some pieces that just wow me!

Sorry, couldn't comment on them though, but I thank all who commented on mine :)
Let's donate to help the kids and save our planet.

Taron
KVRAF
2477 posts since 17 Apr, 2010 from Croatia

Post Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:13 am

It was rough enough so that I had to spread out a bit more this time around. Very enjoyable listen for sure! I've tried to comment on every song, but some I just couldn't think of anything to say. Even after all this time I still feel awkward to pry my 2 cents into the comments, not knowing if I'm really qualified to do so. I figure, however, that any impression has its value as long as it is honest and comes from the right places (heart, mind, actual care).
Ultimately, you're all awesome! :tu:

Return to “Instruments”