Native Instruments Layoffs?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jace-BeOS wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:21 pm Bzzzt. If they're supposedly 'objective' just for a specific group, then they're not objective at all.
Begging your pardon, but: UI design has plenty of research to show there’s some objectivity in it. Human perception is a thing with a lot of study. Just because an uninformed user can not perceive that things could be easier on them (with a better design that they don’t actually have available to them for comparison’s sake) does not mean there aren’t objectively better designs that WOULD make things easier for them.
That, semantically would be the subtle difference between 'they are objective for a specific group' and 'they are objective to a specific group', then; something I'd misconstrued. Cheers for the rethink.
I’ve spent most of my life watching users be blamed for (and blame themselves for) problems that come down to software (and hardware) being poorly designed. Users who aren’t informed about UI/UX design and human-machine interfacing/psychology/perception will simply presume that things are as good as they can be (putting the designers on a pedestal, out of naivety) and will believe that they themselves are in the wrong, when they’re actually being fairly reasonable from a human cognition, behavioral, and cultural perspective.

When I was last in tech jobs, I made it my thing to be the opposite of the elitist tech geeks who are happy to promote “the user is the problem” attitudes that keep uninformed users feeling intimidated and ignorant.
Without wanting to be overly personal, swinging from the other end of that axis is no better.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Jace-BeOS wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:52 am
Jim Rosebrook wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:19 pm Throw in some forward-thinking AI technology of how these sounds & samples embrace interactivity with each other.
Are you living in some kind of Star Trek fantasy world, or are you just that bought into the tech industry’s buzzword rhetoric?
Neither and both and everything in between.

I enjoy the evolution of music production technology, but that's just me & what I like.

I've witnessed quite a bit of the "Star Trek fantasy world" come to fruition, and I expect I'll see a lot more. And I expect I'll enjoy it.

And every step of the way, there will be those that won't enjoy it. That's ok too. Just how it is.

Jim Rosebrook wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:43 am
Jim Rosebrook wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:19 pm Throw in some forward-thinking AI technology of how these sounds & samples embrace interactivity with each other.
Are you living in some kind of Star Trek fantasy world, or are you just that bought into the tech industry’s buzzword rhetoric?

I enjoy the evolution of music production technology, but that's just me & what I like.

I've witnessed quite a bit of the "Star Trek fantasy world" come to fruition, and I expect I'll see a lot more. And I expect I'll enjoy it.

And every step of the way, there will be those that won't enjoy it. That's ok too. Just how it is.
+1

Nothing wrong with that . I embrace and employ any sort of automation tools i see and always like to explore. I find them sort of like an assistant.

As I started using FL more, I have gotten to know the riff machine tool really well.

The way I usually work is I build from rhythm and bass ideas and add melody and chords and harmony on top.

I used to do the drums and then thinker around on keys manually with notes in a scale and lengths for bass parts.

With FL. I use the riff machine, i throw in the root notes and their lengths, then tweak around with different settings and keep tweaking until I find something interesting. It's really no different than manually hitting keys on a keyboard and moving midi notes around. But with the riff creator tool, it allows you to go to ideas and places that you would not normally go to because the tool does not have the same blinders and biases derived from your favorite artists and influencea that you as a human have . It's really useful tool in a tool chest.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:22 am Without wanting to be overly personal, swinging from the other end of that axis is no better.
Admittedly, I have gotten to where I kind of hate computers and the industry (and the geeks who act like anyone lacking specialized knowledge is inferior). I admire well-designed things, but it’s getting harder to find (and it often gets corrupted by corporate greed). I do have some bias against the business at this point, but try to keep it in check...

...Still, I bristle at the notion that people who spent considerable time learning about human-computer interfacing and human cognition are purely subjective and opinionated about GUI design... just as I bristled at the notion that NI laid off “only the dead weight” and that the former employee reviews of NI are all just sour grapes (to bring this back on topic). I don’t understand quite why people take these stances.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I’d love to live in a Star Trek fantasy world, but I just don’t see where actual technology is remotely as capable, and it starts to wear on me how much of the fantasy seems to be confused for “possible in reality”. The term “AI” isn’t even being used correctly almost 99% of the time at this point, especially in marketing. There’s no such thing as AI at this point.

I’m cool with tools that use cleverly written algorithms to do clever things, and music tools certainly could offer help to theory-light persons like myself (that’s why I bought my Korg M3m, for the “KARMA” feature)... I just know it’s not artificial intelligence ;-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Hink wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:00 am
Jace-BeOS wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:32 am
telecode wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:23 am my point is also, they are *real* muscians that are in it for life and that is why they are people that have lasted and survived as trends have come and gone. it has nothing to do with do you like their music or their personality or their politics. They have been around making money and a living from music a lot longer than the Googles and Spotifys and will most probably still be around long after those companies and their ilk are long gone.
I sure hope so. The internet isn’t going anywhere, but the Googles and Spotifys and whatnot are painfully tiresome as new-money 800-pound gorillas. Trends and fads are the most PAINFUL when the money makes their purveyors and supporters believe they’re anything other than temporary. Trying to persist beyond the natural fad lifespan just leads to evil corporate empires and the further decline of civilization. Theirs is the religion of perpetual growth of profits. I hate religion, and I hate theirs the most.
isn't the part in bold pretty much the essence of what Bezos said of Amazon to his employees last year?

Meanwhile, not there yet but let's be aware of venturing too far into hpc :)
I don’t know. I might have missed what Bezos said, to which you’re referring.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

The oft used phrases, "corporate greed", "greedy corporations"
and the like, imply that some elitist believes someone
is making 'too much' money for goods and or services offered,
believing that the elitist opinion is superior enough to the inferiors,
that the elitist position should be enforced either by personal vendetta, by rule of civil law, or by military might.

A single coder, and the employer of teams of coders,
can both file papers of incorporation, and charge
double or triple what competing products routinely sell for,
and perhaps be perceived as greedy, even to the point of stupidity,
but both likely will fail quickly, in the free market.

Both the incorporated business owner employing
teams of coders, and the legally incorporated sole proprietor
coder might be able to profit by selling goods and or services
at competive prices, and perhaps even lower than competitors,
due to product/service superiority, or sheer volume of sales.

For kvr members to claim enough fiscal superiority to determine
which or whose prices are 'greedy', makes for poor soap opera,
and poor, if not evil economic policy, especially when enforced
by whatever power is available. People are not fleeing
Hollywood, for the paradise of Caracas, nor fleeing
South Beach to pursue their dreams in Cuba.

Native Instruments or whoever else, can price
their goods or services however they like,
the free market will determine how things turn out,
and what changes any business entity needs to make,
after any failed venture. While I hope for successful businesses,
a no-brainer fire sale as part of survival,
can still be appreciated.
Cheers

Jace-BeOS wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:12 pm

I’d love to live in a Star Trek fantasy world, but I just don’t see where actual technology is remotely as capable, and it starts to wear on me how much of the fantasy seems to be confused for “possible in reality”. The term “AI” isn’t even being used correctly almost 99% of the time at this point, especially in marketing. There’s no such thing as AI at this point.

I’m cool with tools that use cleverly written algorithms to do clever things, and music tools certainly could offer help to theory-light persons like myself (that’s why I bought my Korg M3m, for the “KARMA” feature)... I just know it’s not artificial intelligence ;-)
looking around when out wandering, im beginning to think the notion of intelligence is artificial.

glokraw wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:47 am The oft used phrases, "corporate greed", "greedy corporations"
and the like, imply that some elitist believes someone
is making 'too much' money for goods and or services offered,
believing that the elitist opinion is superior enough to the inferiors,
that the elitist position should be enforced either by personal vendetta, by rule of civil law, or by military might.

A single coder, and the employer of teams of coders,
can both file papers of incorporation, and charge
double or triple what competing products routinely sell for,
and perhaps be perceived as greedy, even to the point of stupidity,
but both likely will fail quickly, in the free market.

Both the incorporated business owner employing
teams of coders, and the legally incorporated sole proprietor
coder might be able to profit by selling goods and or services
at competive prices, and perhaps even lower than competitors,
due to product/service superiority, or sheer volume of sales.

For kvr members to claim enough fiscal superiority to determine
which or whose prices are 'greedy', makes for poor soap opera,
and poor, if not evil economic policy, especially when enforced
by whatever power is available. People are not fleeing
Hollywood, for the paradise of Caracas, nor fleeing
South Beach to pursue their dreams in Cuba.

Native Instruments or whoever else, can price
their goods or services however they like,
the free market will determine how things turn out,
and what changes any business entity needs to make,
after any failed venture. While I hope for successful businesses,
a no-brainer fire sale as part of survival,
can still be appreciated.
Cheers
Yeah - sure - right - ok - er - what ?

That platitude salad press release statement from NI makes decision easy. Not a company I will support (ie; buy stuff from) now. The antithesis of what the musicians, bands, producers, dj's, mc's- ARTISTS- I love stand for and represent.

Times are different. I have Absynth 5, love it, use it, obvs. lot of great NI stuff but I have a lot of great stuff already. Corporatocracy is killing creativity nowadays, big reason why per capita music today has no HEART relative to the preceding decades.

Just my take, personally speaking, which, you can take it or leave it of course.

nusound mind wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:19 am Corporatocracy is killing creativity nowadays, big reason why per capita music today has no HEART relative to the preceding decades.
That’s nothing new - there has always been a corporation looking to increase their profits from selling more art regardless of the overall reduction of art in the ‘product’.

Large corporations have been pimps for those willing to churn out bland crap since the early 20th century. Look at what happened to rock and roll once Elvis took off - we got Pat Boone, Bobby Vee, etc. who didn’t put even an ounce of heart or soul in anything they were told to do.

there has always been a corporation looking to increase their profits
Well, this happens when you sell your company, which delivers valuable products, to anonymous stakeholders who are only interested in net income.
Selling expensive, empty boxes might be very profitable for seller, but not for customers and people overall.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:29 pm
there has always been a corporation looking to increase their profits
Well, this happens when you sell your company, which delivers valuable products, to anonymous stakeholders who are only interested in net income.
Selling expensive, empty boxes might be very profitable for seller, but not for customers and people overall.
Then they’re welcome to purchase from other, more ethical companies.

nusound mind wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:19 am Corporatocracy is killing creativity nowadays, big reason why per capita music today has no HEART relative to the preceding decades.

Just my take, personally speaking, which, you can take it or leave it of course.

Dependency on gear, namely computers and software, is killing creativity more than corporate greed.

long working hours and shit drugs kills creativity.

Return to “Instruments”