New tool to create MIDI files from Sektor preset and sequence files

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
tonedef71
KVRian
1037 posts since 21 Sep, 2007 from USA

Post Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:29 pm

I recently created a tool to create MIDI files from Initial Audio sequences. The tool is written in Java and requires Java 8 to run. I have tested it on Windows 10, but it should also run on OS X and Linux as well.

Update: I have run the tool successfully on .sektorPreset, .seq, and .heatUpPreset files.

Here is the usage help:

Code: Select all

usage: java -jar audio-tool.jar [-dst <arg>] [-ratio <arg>] -src <arg>
Audio-Tool 1.0 creates MIDI files from Initial Audio sequences
 -dst <arg>     fully-qualified path name of destination folder
 -ratio <arg>   step timing ratio in bars to beats; value may be one of
                the following: (1-64, 1-32T, 1-64D, 1-32, 1-16T, 1-32D,
                1-16, 1-8T, 1-16D, 1-8, 1-4T, 1-8D, 1-4, 1-2T, 1-4D, 1-2,
                1-1T, 1-2D, 1-1, 2-1T, 1-1D)
                D = dotted; T = triplet
 -src <arg>     fully-qualified path name of a single file or folder

Example: java -jar audio-tool.jar -ratio 1-4 -dst C:\Users\me\Documents
-src
"C:\Users\me\AppData\Roaming\IgniteVST\Sektor\Expansions\Signature\Sequenc
er"
The -src parameter is mandatory, the other two (-ratio and -dst) are optional. If -dst is not specified, MIDI files are written to the folder where you are executing the command from. If -ratio is not specified, the setting is taken from what is saved in the preset.

The output MIDI file name is derived from the file name of the preset or sequence file and will overwrite any .MID file with the same name in the output folder.

Update: If the argument to the -src parameter references a folder, then the audio-tool will recursively scan all sub-folders for relevant files.

Here are some more examples of executing the tool from a command shell:

Code: Select all

java -jar audiotool.jar -src "./IgniteVST/Sektor/Expansions/Signature/Sequencer/Yoshi Yay.seq"

java -jar audiotool.jar -dst ./Sequences -src "./IgniteVST/Sektor/Expansions/Signature/presets/Arp/Low Bits.sektorPreset"

java -jar audiotool.jar -dst ./Sequences -src "./IgniteVST/Sektor/Expansions/Signature/presets/Sequence"

java -jar audiotool.jar -dst .\Sequences -ratio 1-4 -src "C:\Users\me\AppData\Roaming\IgniteVST\Sektor\Expansions\Signature\Sequencer\No Fcks Given.seq"
If you come across any bugs, feel free to PM me with the details.

Update: a new ZIP has been uploaded with a version of the tool that recursively descends into subfolders.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tonedef71 on Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[Intel Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Studio One 4.5 Pro; FL Studio 20.5; RapidComposer; Sundog Song Studio; Orb Composer; Pizzicato; Odesi | FL Studio ASIO (WASAPI) | Win10 x64]

Musical Gym
KVRAF
5155 posts since 24 May, 2004 from square1

Re: New tool to create MIDI files from Sektor preset and sequence files

Post Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:49 am

Looks promising. Will take me awhile to implement.

tonedef71
KVRian

Post Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:17 am

Musical Gym wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:49 am
Looks promising. Will take me awhile to implement.
Thank you for your interest. I wanted access to the sequencer data in the form of MIDI, and I just recently came to learn that you wanted it, too.

Hopefully this tool will meet your needs as well.

I have also considered coding up another tool to create SEQ files from MID files; it would come in handy when creating custom expansion packs to share with other folks.
[Intel Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Studio One 4.5 Pro; FL Studio 20.5; RapidComposer; Sundog Song Studio; Orb Composer; Pizzicato; Odesi | FL Studio ASIO (WASAPI) | Win10 x64]

tonedef71
KVRian

Post Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:11 pm

I have attached to the original post a new version of the tool that descends recursively into sub-folders when the argument to the -src parameter is a folder.

This new feature should make it easier to use with a vast hierarchy of preset folders; I should have coded it to work that way, right from the get-go. :dog:

Return to “Instruments”