Free: SQ8ROM

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

People have been asking for a Windows and macOS 64-bit version of SQ8L for years now and it probably won't happen. So I decided to create a rompler version of the plugin, sampling each preset that comes with SQ8L plus an additional preset bank so people can enjoy a VST/VST3/AU plugin version of those sounds (free of charge).

Obviously, you don't get to control the synth but at least you have the sounds (168 of them) that covers pretty much all bases. The plugin also acts as a mse file reader (the Maize Sampler sound format), so you can load any mse files found on the net with it.

I split the sounds into 3 parts, the first part comes with the plugin itself (50 sounds, around 1 GB), and the rest is split between two expansion packs at 1 GB each (compressed, uncompressed it's a little more than that).

It's available as a direct download and it's hosted by archive.org. If you feel like donating, I recommend that you donate to archive.org.

Get it here: https://www.samplescience.ca/2019/09/sq8rom.html
Last edited by SampleScience on Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

No comments yet? I personally don't need this because bridging works fine in FL Studio, but I'm pretty sure this is going to be of use to people who want that sound without the hassle.

Just saw this on Facebook. Question: How do you get the expansions?

NVM. See the separate downloads on the page. Cool.

Thanks @SampleScience for the effort. SQ8L is def among my favorites from the 32bit era, so your "remake" is welcome. Personally, I don't see an issue with not having access to all the synth parameters, since I used the original SQ8L as a rompler anyways. Are Maize-sampler based plugins stable these days? I remember that they used to be a bit on the buggy side a few years ago.

Thanks for this freebie and all the work it represents.

One tiny request: An option to lock the reverb control? I'd like to be able to keep it off while browsing presets.

Awesome! Thanks!

Wasn't the actual hardware synth just 16 bit? I mean the 64 bit GUI would look pretty, but does it matter for sound quality? Either way the new one looks like fun. Thanks!

Great, thx :tu:

hues wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:28 pm Wasn't the actual hardware synth just 16 bit? I mean the 64 bit GUI would look pretty, but does it matter for sound quality? Either way the new one looks like fun. Thanks!
64-bit refers to the VST's architecture, not the bit depth of the samples included.

Awesome plugin as always, SampleScience!
Organic Calfskin Kit - Free/Donationware Drum VST for Mac and Win

Please do it 32 bit too!!! :'(

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:56 pm Thanks @SampleScience for the effort. SQ8L is def among my favorites from the 32bit era, so your "remake" is welcome. Personally, I don't see an issue with not having access to all the synth parameters, since I used the original SQ8L as a rompler anyways. Are Maize-sampler based plugins stable these days? I remember that they used to be a bit on the buggy side a few years ago.
Yes, from my experience they are very stable now. The ADSR is linear now, not double-stage like it used to be, so it's much easier to use and makes more sense for most people. That being said, let me know if you find any bug. Just make sure they are real bugs though, I often get emails from people whose "bugs" are their own mistakes.
Turello wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:16 pm Please do it 32 bit too!!! :'(
Really? Why not use the real SQ8L then???
onerob wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:59 pm One tiny request: An option to lock the reverb control? I'd like to be able to keep it off while browsing presets.
The current settings for Maize Sampler don't allow me to do that, sorry!

I'm glad you guys like it! I've put a great deal of effort into it and now my energy levels are very low. I'm going to take some much-needed rest!

I`d like to say thanks as well.

Sounds/patches are done with care and good taste.
Noticeable good skills on realization of Maize Sampler format
(saw some pretty bad ones in comparison).

On my wishlist (unless I miss something):
the expansions can be opened per folder (in total).

A tasty one and I think open to all genres.
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

Thank you!

SampleScience wrote: I split the sounds into 3 parts, the first part comes with the plugin itself (50 sounds, around 1 GB), and the rest is split between two expansion packs at 1 GB each (compressed, uncompressed it's a little more than that).
Turello wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:16 pm Please do it 32 bit too!!! :'(
Really? Why not use the real SQ8L then???
I guess you answered your own question.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

Return to “Instruments”