Most diverse range but realistic-sounding piano plugin? Keyscape vs Vienna Imperial

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there, I'm a newbie to this forum but have been searching through many topics about this so appreciate all who have written in similar topics so far!

I use Logic Pro X and cannot figure out which is the best plugin to buy. So far, the two that most appeal to me are Spectrasonics Keyscape and Vienna Imperial but sadly I can't afford to buy both.

I love the sound of keyscape due to the endless amounts of different keyboard instruments sampled and I'm definitely leaning towards getting it. However, I'm very anal about how realistic the piano sounds and I love the effort VSL has gone to in order to reproduce the closest to the real thing out there - I just wish there was a variation of pianos/instruments sampled.

I'd particularly like to know how the high ranges sound with the grand pianos on Keyscape and are the classical pianos on there warm/mellow as well as realistic? I'm a composer - film and classical - and can't really stand the sound of anything too bright.

I love the sound of old Bechsteins but it seems like none of the plugins that contain these compare to Vienna Imperial.

Any help from anyone who has one or both plugins mentioned would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance :ud:

Most realistic sounding piano(s)? Best sound? Pianoteq, definitely. And much cheaper than Keyscape and Vienna Imperial.

enCiphered wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:48 pm Most realistic sounding piano(s)? Best sound? Pianoteq, definitely. And much cheaper than Keyscape and Vienna Imperial.
Pianoteq? Interesting. The general feeling seems to be that while Pianoteq is probably the most playable, it is not quite there sound-wise. Maybe things have changed :shrug:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:57 pm
enCiphered wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:48 pm Most realistic sounding piano(s)? Best sound? Pianoteq, definitely. And much cheaper than Keyscape and Vienna Imperial.
Pianoteq? Interesting. The general feeling seems to be that while Pianoteq is probably the most playable, it is not quite there sound-wise. Maybe things have changed :shrug:
Oh yes, they have! Really, its the most beautiful and versatile software plugin for piano out there. And if you buy the pro version, you can adjust the dynamics, expression, sound behaviour, tuning, voicing, mic positioning, mic numbers... anything. You can even design your own unique sound if you want, acoustic and electric.

Here is a good video about comparing the sound of pianoteq with sampled keys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPOMVq82DC4

Pianoteq, resolutely, definitely, yes.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

The current version is a great improvement over previous ones. Not perfect, but very close.

+1 to Pianoteq. Unless your name happens to be Hans Zimmer, it's more than realistic enough.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

enCiphered wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:07 pm
Oh yes, they have! Really, its the most beautiful and versatile software plugin for piano out there. And if you buy the pro version, you can adjust the dynamics, expression, sound behaviour, tuning, voicing, mic positioning, mic numbers... anything. You can even design your own unique sound if you want, acoustic and electric.

Wow, thanks for this. Really informative video and I love how he isn't talking loudly over awful music the whole time.. refreshing!

I was clearly a non-sample plugin snob until I watched this. Amazing how far technology has come. And you can even create realistic prepared piano sounds!

The only problem is the price of it :o . I wanna be able to try out all the pianos and the celestas etc but the studio pack is way out of my price range. How the hell am I gonna choose just 4!

I would be surprised if Hans Zimmer wouldn't have Pianoteq in his arsenal...

onreflection wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:05 pm
enCiphered wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:07 pm

Wow, thanks for this. Really informative video and I love how he isn't talking loudly over awful music the whole time.. refreshing!

I was clearly a non-sample plugin snob until I watched this. Amazing how far technology has come. And you can even create realistic prepared piano sounds!

The only problem is the price of it :o . I wanna be able to try out all the pianos and the celestas etc but the studio pack is way out of my price range. How the hell am I gonna choose just 4!
You´re welcome. Well, if you want the complete bundle with the pro version and ALL the instruments, yes it´s a bit pricey. But still worth every single cent for what you get.
I think it would be good to wait until black friday, they usually offer a 30% discount.
And there is also a demo for the stage version where you can test the software with all optional instruments, if I remember correctly.

^^Hm, just select one for a start (they all can be demoed with little restriction) and then add a new sound once in a while, best when they have "half off" sales?

NothanUmber wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:16 pm ^^Hm, just select one for a start (they all can be demoed with little restriction) and then add a new sound once in a while, best when they have "half off" sales?
A half off sale? I didn't realise that was a thing with software companies! Would this be a regular-ish occurrence?

They have sales from time to time for sure

It's usually more like 30-33% off. I feel I got lucky though because one of the online dealers had a one day sale (if even that) on the Stage version that was like 60% off. And a couple of weeks later, Modartt had one of their sales which included upgrades. However it didn't include the full "everything" version. So I contacted them and ask if they ever did that and they responded with that option for me. In fact, they have been one of the best and fastest to respond to every contact I've made to them.

I was one of those that took awhile to warm up to them. Version 4 was just okay, but V5 got me to jump. Version 6 really does it for me, and can't think of anything that could get me to use anything else now. Waiting for Version 7 and what gets offered with it now. I think they might do a Fazoli next?

(I have Pianoteq Studio - which is the Pro version with all the instruments. And when the upgrade to the next version is released, anything I don't have now gets added with any new one in the next two years being automatically added as well.)
Last edited by BBFG# on Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Had a look at the last deal of that sort again. It was actually getting 50% off a second sound if you buy one for full price. So two for the price of 1.5 - or 25% off...

Return to “Instruments”