Has the VSTi pipeline dried up?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Dirtgrain
KVRist
397 posts since 12 Jan, 2019

Post Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:57 am

JerGoertz wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:38 am
If there are no new plugins to buy, I may actually have to learn to use what I already have.
You mean read the manuals? Silence!

tony10000
KVRian
656 posts since 4 Aug, 2017

Re: Has the VSTi pipeline dried up?

Post Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:24 pm

D-Fusion wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:31 am
tony10000 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:55 pm
So, among the major devs, only Rob Papen, NI, Melda, and Kilohearts have put out something new. And Europa was removed from the market as a VSTi.
Wonder why Europa was removed.
It is still in my account under vst but when i click on the link to get to the Europa page it shows 404 Error.
If i click on the download button the page shows up for download.
Seems like a weird move after all the hype it started with everywhere about the amazing Europa Vst.

Happy that i did keep a copy of it and my serial for it just in case something else happens.
They want people to by Reason 11:

What about Europa by Reason, the VST version of Europa?

Europa by Reason will be discontinued since Europa is included in all versions of Reason Rack Plugin. Everyone who owns Europa by Reason will be able to continue using it, but it will no longer be available for sale.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason/faq

chk071
KVRAF
22455 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:38 pm

There's no point in go on selling Europa, when you can have Reason Intro for 79 €, which includes Europa, and loads of other stuff.

tony10000
KVRian

Post Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:41 pm

chk071 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:38 pm
There's no point in go on selling Europa, when you can have Reason Intro for 79 €, which includes Europa, and loads of other stuff.
Very true. Plus, they want to promote the RE platform.

W23
KVRist
447 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Post Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:52 pm

I don’t know that a lack of brand new synths from developers is any indication of a “dry” period. There are a lot of great synths out there, and I have a ridiculous amount of plugins that I don’t have time to use. A lot of upfront time, energy, and money is spent on the larger new releases, and a lot of the same is spent on updating and maintaining those releases in the marketplace. Serum is one of those that gets continual updates, but if you were to go by the new releases page, it would be fair to assume that X-fer hasn’t released a new synth in years. That is a fair assumption, but there was a major beta release not too long ago that added some nice features, and I for one, am glad I didn’t have to pay for a new release version.
Last edited by W23 on Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chk071
KVRAF
22455 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:04 pm

Right, but, i surely noticed a certain "dry up" as well. I wouldn't want to speculate about the reasons, though. The most obvious one seems to be the "saturated" market indeed.

Let's hope that it won't stay that way. :) And that devs still improve on sound quality/character, instead of pushing out major version updates with only feature updates.

RobinWood
KVRist
61 posts since 21 May, 2018

Post Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:09 pm

Developing synths needs time - often many years. And I think the major synth devs have released stuff over the recent months/years. Now it's time to recover then fix and improve them. No need to jump into the next big project.

Urs
u-he
24270 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Post Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:48 pm

It's not overly mysterious that at some point we'd see more updates than new releases. Simply because it's more there already that's tried and tested - which is a safer investment than something new, both in terms of purchase and development. The entrance barrier for this market is certainly a lot higher than it was when there was just Neon. I guess that's a more or less natural progression. Things might look less dynamic, but maybe that's merely an expression of consolidation rather than regression.

tony10000
KVRian

Post Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:17 pm

Urs wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:48 pm
It's not overly mysterious that at some point we'd see more updates than new releases. Simply because it's more there already that's tried and tested - which is a safer investment than something new, both in terms of purchase and development. The entrance barrier for this market is certainly a lot higher than it was when there was just Neon. I guess that's a more or less natural progression. Things might look less dynamic, but maybe that's merely an expression of consolidation rather than regression.
I think that is a natural progression as well. People have already made substantial investments in VSTis (I know I have). It is easier to get an upgrade sale at a fairly low price than to get someone to buy a new synth at 2-4X the price.

Urs
u-he

Post Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:19 pm

tony10000 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:17 pm
I think that is a natural progression as well. People have already made substantial investments in VSTis (I know I have). It is easier to get an upgrade sale at a fairly low price than to get someone to buy a new synth at 2-4X the price.
Same for us. It was easier to add some funky shit to Hive than to make a new synth with that funky shit.

tony10000
KVRian

Post Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:31 pm

Urs wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:19 pm
tony10000 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:17 pm
Same for us. It was easier to add some funky shit to Hive than to make a new synth with that funky shit.
LOL...

I wonder if that means manufacturer's will begin to focus more on synthesis platforms like Reaktor and UVI Falcon/Workstation, Phaseplant, and MSoundfactory rather than individual synths? It seems like Zebra 3 and Omnisphere 2 are already going in that direction.

toonertik
KVRAF
2027 posts since 15 Feb, 2017 from a worn out vinyl groove

Post Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:34 pm

Urs wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:19 pm

Like me some funky shit...

OK serious now...
for sure, it's easier and must be quicker to add that "funky shit" to an already proved and viable platform, rather than start from fresh.

Now just finish da "funky shit" on that civilized unit... plzzz

;)

Urs
u-he

Post Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:44 pm

toonertik wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:34 pm
Now just finish da "funky shit" on that civilized unit... plzzz
Hardware production is imminent. Step by step, lots of steps.

toonertik
KVRAF
2027 posts since 15 Feb, 2017 from a worn out vinyl groove

Post Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:49 pm

:tu:

wagtunes
KVRAF
17906 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:34 pm

So is Zebra 3 now next year? Or was it always next year? I lose track.

Return to “Instruments”