Roland Cloud down for maintenance so my products are unauthorized?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i have wound up with some bloat over the years. it happens, but i keep it to a minimum, and try to minimize the damage as much as possible. we don't own ANYTHING tho, and it can be taken away at the developers discretion. it happens all the time and it's one of the biggest flaws of software. like camel, like DS, like linplug, or hundreds of other software. you don't even own the computer you are using. if windows wanted to take your computer, it could literally show up at your door with a lawyer and you would have to hand it over. the temporary nature of software is something that needs to be planned for. i keep multiple versions of things i use from different companies... just in case.... maybe one is not compatible, and the other one is.... maybe one disappears..etc.

acid alex wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:52 am I worry about this with NI Maschine and Komplete. If they went bust and their Native Access went down we would never be able to install their software again
Never thought of that...
Huh...sh*t :hihi:

Question for the Forum.
Does RC always require online access?
Because I don’t like that at all.
That’s the sole reason I never got on board
The “RENT A Rack extension” From propellerhead a while back.
Because man sometimes you just need to turn the damn internet off to avoid distractions and be...like...

𝒪𝓃𝑒 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒟𝒜𝒲.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

If you think about this DRM model is how money works too for anyone who uses cards to make payments.

Whilst it could be inconvenient when offline, avoiding DRM is akin to hoarding cash under your bed. No lessons to be learned there going forward.

Plus I don’t think Roland are going away any time soon.

cleverr1 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:34 pm If you think about this DRM model is how money works too for anyone who uses cards to make payments.

Whilst it could be inconvenient when offline, avoiding DRM is akin to hoarding cash under your bed. No lessons to be learned there going forward.

Plus I don’t think Roland are going away any time soon.
This one is tricky cause it's in the best interest of people to continue using cash for privacy reasons but sometimes being to lazy and using cards all the time encourages our own gvt to take advantage of the big brother capabilities. At least with companies you can push them in one direction with the right amount of customer voices IMO.

cleverr1 wrote "Whilst it could be inconvenient when offline"
I have to weigh in on this statement. It's going to be more than just inconvenient in the case of a professional using it live or just working on a deadline. The level of "inconvenience" is going to vary according to your specific use case. You have to determine if the possibility of it not being available for use is a deal-breaker or not. In my particular case I set up a music production computer that except for initial software install is never online. I perform virus scans at install and don't install more than I need. That computer is performing amazingly well, so if it needs to be connected it's a deal-breaker. I've already returned one software product that had to be constantly connected. They didn't mention it in their marketing material. As much as I liked it, it wasn't good enough for me to change my production computer principles.

omac wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:43 pm cleverr1 wrote "Whilst it could be inconvenient when offline"
I have to weigh in on this statement. It's going to be more than just inconvenient in the case of a professional using it live or just working on a deadline. The level of "inconvenience" is going to vary according to your specific use case. You have to determine if the possibility of it not being available for use is a deal-breaker or not.
Yup - Risk and Impact assessment needed depending on the use case.

Going back to my money analogy, the people most affected by the new PSD2 2 factor authentication rules (meaning receiving a text message OTP) are the tiny minority who don't have a mobile signal where they live. They need to use alternatives to OTP texts, just as the users of offline DAWs need to choose alternatives to cloud subscriptions.

My main DAWs have always been online for 15 years plus and I've never had an issue. These days if I did it would take under 1 hour to recover the system drive from one of the regular backups. So with that mitigation I accept the risk, whereas others may choose to avoid.

If you choose to avoid the risk of being online then Roland Cloud clearly isn't for you.

Yep. Would suck to have a live gig and not be able to auth because their servers are down.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

Since updating to RolandCloudManager-2-4-0f it does not load up for me. Crashes. Previous version was ok. Ive tried to reinstall , uninstall reinstall, reboot etc. Anyone else having this issue on the new manager OSX Mojave 10.14.6?

acid alex wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:52 am I worry about this with NI Maschine and Komplete. If they went bust and their Native Access went down we would never be able to install their software again
You can download the installers from the NI website and keep a personal archive. Komplete even comes with a physical hard drive that has installers.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

popskull wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:05 am Since updating to RolandCloudManager-2-4-0f it does not load up for me. Crashes. Previous version was ok. Ive tried to reinstall , uninstall reinstall, reboot etc. Anyone else having this issue on the new manager OSX Mojave 10.14.6?
yeah, it crashes.

v1o wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:41 am You can download the installers from the NI website and keep a personal archive. Komplete even comes with a physical hard drive that has installers.
But how would you activate them?
Image Image Image Image

Iva wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:31 pm
popskull wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:05 am Since updating to RolandCloudManager-2-4-0f it does not load up for me. Crashes. Previous version was ok. Ive tried to reinstall , uninstall reinstall, reboot etc. Anyone else having this issue on the new manager OSX Mojave 10.14.6?
yeah, it crashes.
What hardware are you on? It's working for me at the moment but this is one of the new Mac Minis with an external GPU, so might be a hardware or graphics dependency in there somewhere.

Gamma-UT wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:54 pm
Iva wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:31 pm
yeah, it crashes.
What hardware are you on? It's working for me at the moment but this is one of the new Mac Minis with an external GPU, so might be a hardware or graphics dependency in there somewhere.
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017). I was thinking its a server issue but its still crashing

sprnva wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:44 pm
v1o wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:41 am You can download the installers from the NI website and keep a personal archive. Komplete even comes with a physical hard drive that has installers.
NI use serial numbers.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:33 am
sprnva wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:44 pm
NI use serial numbers.
Which are only keys for a C/R system. C/R goes down permanently? No more installations that work.

Return to “Instruments”