schiing
KVRist
370 posts since 27 Oct, 2015

Post Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:33 am

SodaDevices wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:14 am
schiing wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:57 am
For CPU purposes I have reduced all my chord-based instruments to 1/4 quality and render... but my problem now is that I've built a lot of my strings and brass around that very same aliasing. Now, that I can hear! But when I crank up the quality they appear to lose all their fatness and inner life in the mix. So now I can't decide what to do - if it sounds good, it sounds good... no? Looks healthy on Span as well.
As you say, 1/2 or 1/4 is down-sampled, so alias noise enter.
It is also true that some people find the noise attractive.
If you feel you can listen to it, you can also select a lower setting intentionally.

I hope I interpretation what you say.
Absolutely :)

I was aware of the down-sampling effects beforehand, but I didn't realize how much I had relied on aliasing in my sound design. But that's all my own mistake.

I like it, though - and I'll keep some of it, at least for the saw-based instruments.

Tj Shredder
KVRAF
3284 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Re: One Synth Challenge #129: Lith by Soda Devices

Post Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:10 pm

Is pitchbend not implemented? I can't find a setting and it does not bend...

Eauson
KVRian
908 posts since 9 Jan, 2013 from morf

Post Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:17 pm

Leonard Bowman wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:02 pm
Not sure what would cause the crashing problem, IV!
Is it a problem with loading the synth or using certain parts of it? I know that some things on the GUI (anything involving control 5-8) will crash the synth.
If it's a loading/verification problem, you could try re-downloading. If the file got corrupted then it probably won't behave nicely.

Re: MIDI and note offs-- a NoteOn with velocity 0 should be treated as a NoteOff (with off velocity 0). That's part of the spec. But it's a somewhat older part of the spec and this makes me wonder where you are getting your imported MIDI from...
(no problem with it, I'm just amused :D )
Hey Leonard,
Many thanks for the note off tip, jsfx seems to have solved issue on reaper, also UI settings show polyphony, so that reduced really helps my old computer :D

@
Tj Shredder wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:10 pm
This is a mod, click pitch on right, add range, not the easiest to setup, well for me anyway, I think my Zebralette submission was my only use in all these years :)
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

schiing
KVRist

Post Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:24 pm

Eauson wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:17 pm
@
Tj Shredder wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:10 pm
This is a mod, click pitch on right, add range, not the easiest to setup, well for me anyway, I think my Zebralette submission was my only use in all these years :)
Are you using VST3? Then I guess it might be related to the issue I encountered with the sustain pedal (pw works fine on VST2 here):
SodaDevices wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:43 pm
Actually, VST3 still cannot receive MIDI signals except for Note.
Deal with that as soon as possible.

Tj Shredder
KVRAF
3284 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:26 pm

schiing wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:24 pm
Are you using VST3? Then I guess it might be related to the issue I encountered with the sustain pedal (pw works fine on VST2 here):
SodaDevices wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:43 pm
Actually, VST3 still cannot receive MIDI signals except for Note.
Deal with that as soon as possible.
That was it, VST2 works... Thanks

doctorbob
KVRian
1372 posts since 7 Mar, 2014

Post Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:41 pm

OK … so I have set master pitch to 4 semitones, and set the modulation to expression controller (cc11).

But, when I draw CC11 (on the correct channel!) in the cc lane it doesn't affect the synth? Any ideas?

dB

SodaDevices
KVRer
19 posts since 19 Apr, 2019

Post Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:07 pm

schiing wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:33 am
Absolutely :)

I was aware of the down-sampling effects beforehand, but I didn't realize how much I had relied on aliasing in my sound design. But that's all my own mistake.

I like it, though - and I'll keep some of it, at least for the saw-based instruments.
:)
Thank you for your support.
doctorbob wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:41 pm
OK … so I have set master pitch to 4 semitones, and set the modulation to expression controller (cc11).

But, when I draw CC11 (on the correct channel!) in the cc lane it doesn't affect the synth? Any ideas?

dB
If it is assigned by Learn of DAW, I think that it works without problems.

For Cakewalk: Automation Lanes -> Select Lith and MasterPitch -> Right click on the right edge of the lane -> Remoto Control.
For Reaper: trim -> Check 'UI' in MasterPitch -> Right click on the UI and select 'Learn'.

I think it can be controlled by the controller assigned above.

doctorbob
KVRian

Post Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:33 am

Thanks for the reply - I find that rather coarse changes (in Cakewalk) to master pitch in the region of 1% is too much for small bends on instruments. I'll see if I can find a better way.

I was trying to learn a new DAW for this project (Bandlab/Cakewalk), but I think I will step back to Reaper.

dB

PS (edit) … works fine in reaper, finer control -
Last edited by doctorbob on Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

schiing
KVRist

Post Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:16 am

doctorbob wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:33 am
Thanks for the reply - I find that rather coarse changes (in Cakewalk) to master pitch in the region of 1% is too much for small bends on instruments. I'll see if I can find a better way.
Do you mean changes in the automation lane or on the knob? The knob can be moved in smaller increments if you hold down the shift button.
doctorbob wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:33 am
I was trying to learn a new DAW for this project (Bandlab/Cakewalk), but I think I will step back to Reaper.
Yeah, I used Cakewalk for over 20 years, but switched to Studio One when Gibson dumped it. I still go back to it every now and then to fetch old presets, or play with the preset randomizer when I'm bored. But after spending a few years with Studio One, which is brilliant in many respects (and frustrating in a few - much like all of them, I suspect) I've got to admit that Cakewalk doesn't feel like the future.

doctorbob
KVRian

Post Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:36 am

Thanks Terje, I stepped back to Reaper, and all is now fine. I had a few prepared midi tracks which didn't want to play nice in Reaper, but seems better now - any slight overlap of a note in a mono mode can cause a glitch. Also, I found that now and then, big chords of 8 notes again can cause a big cpu spike and either a glitchy sound or none at all! Solution - cut off a finger on each hand!

I suspect the old adage of freeze and freeze often will work for me … I will most likely add my FX chains to the audio after freezing the tracks. Going to be a rather clunky workflow, but I will get there

dB

PS - I was drawing in the automation lane in Cakewalk, and I didn't find a way to make changes less than 1%! Probably didn't look hard enough or RTFM enough!

schiing
KVRist

Post Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:54 am

Oh, yes, I also noticed the spike on big chords! Odd, I could have 25-30 single-line Lith instruments running at the same time, no problem, but one 7♯9 chord - BOOM! My solution was to reduce all those instruments to 1/4 quality, with the results that I mentioned in a previous comment on this page :)

doctorbob
KVRian

Post Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:45 am

Glad I was not hallucinating Terje when I got the big cpu spikes with big chords! My solution was to carefully remove a few notes, but not so much to destroy the character of what was required by the jazz based chord sequences.

dB

capracan
KVRist
69 posts since 21 Feb, 2010

Post Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:37 pm

This is my one and only Challenge Comment, i will maybe update the Track here. !!!

Here's my entry to the contest. I think its my first entry ever. :party:

I think I had a good flow and finished quite quickly. My postprocessing is not professional but don´t wanted to use much Tools also. The result of the sound is not very bright and stereo but composition and feeling is nice. I'm honest and I turned down the stereo a bit for a better focus. :roll:
It sounds like a dnb, melodic, idm mash...sligthly detuned chords, stuttered bassline, subbass under a kick, some swishes and noises.

(15 stems available)
Presets out now !!! :)

https://soundcloud.com/nwsm/nowism-soda ... th-osc2019

Edit: with ozone an more stereo
https://soundcloud.com/nwsm/lith-challe ... ne/s-5QSdL

NFO:
- Bitwig 3.0.2
- 160 bpm, length 02:10 min
- upload file: wav, pcm, 44100 hz, 32-bit (floating point), 2822 kbit/s
- 17 instances of Lith 2.0.4, mostly my own tweaked sounds and/ or modified presets.
- 3rd party free plugins (ott,luftikus)
- Bitwig native plugins (eq-2, eq-5, reverb, transient control, compressor, delay-2, delay-1, dynamics for sidechaining, peak limiter, tool)
- Bitwig native midi tools: arpeggiator (for that stuttered bassline), diatonic transposer (for more accurate harmonics), the arpeggiator is automated on/off

Thats all...Cheers.
sry for may english and don't hesitate to contact me. :hyper:

EDIT: new track up, presets out now :)
Last edited by capracan on Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

capracan
KVRist
69 posts since 21 Feb, 2010

Post Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:35 pm

Is it possible to cancel a entry track? in a case of better track?

zarf
KVRist
453 posts since 20 Jan, 2013

Post Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:25 pm

capracan wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:35 pm
Is it possible to cancel a entry track? in a case of better track?
No problem - until the deadline, you can change your track as much as you want :)

Return to “Instruments”