Any new classic synth emus on the horizon? Moog, Arp, Obie?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zerocrossing wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:45 pm I think that there’s quite a bit of fertile ground in the synth world for good emulations. Just off the top of my head I can think of...

ARP 2600 (Arturia... not there)
Prophet VS (ditto)
CS-80 (Ditto)
Moog Modular (Ditto)
Voyetra-8
Fizmo

That said, I’m pretty satisfied with what I have, and you’ll have to come out with something at least on par with Oddity II, impOSCar II, RePro, Legend and the XILS emulations.
Surprised to see the Fizmo so low on your list :hihi:

Xils has Synth'X covered, more authentic with the mini version, and more functional than the original with the full.

I would potentially kill for a U-He CS80. 😈. Wouldn't hold my breath for that, though...

I think I heard memorymoon does a good CS-80. I was going to check it out since I think those guys are going 64 bit finally. Do they do BF sales?

Lucastyle wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:32 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:38 pm Synapse is working on Prophet-600, OB-X, and maybe at some point also a Memorymoog.
Has Synapse given a time estimate?
Would be cool to see some sort of update on these...I think the last time I saw them mentioned was well over a year ago. The A/B comparisons posted back then sounded promising.

The Gligli-updated Prophet 600 is a pretty sweet-sounding synth IMO. I was tempted to grab one a while back that had the update (as well as a new Fatar keybed) but resisted the impulse.
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

thejonsolo wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:51 am I think I heard memorymoon does a good CS-80. I was going to check it out since I think those guys are going 64 bit finally. Do they do BF sales?
Every synth does good CS-80

No, not really. :)

:wink: Glad this thread has drifted back to why I started it....! Yes, obviously we don’t NEED any more plugins, but I still love getting plugins that replicate old dream synths of mine. A collector’s thing as well as a creative tool thing. What I think is interesting is how we’ve wound up with some holes - like others have pointed out, no great CS-80 or ARP 2600 or Moog Modular (I wish the amazing P900 was a more established product). I think I remember Urs talking about what a PITA it is was developing Repro-5, because it’s not just about coding a great synth, but the fact that it will be pulled apart comparing it to various hardware models - ugh. So I’m sure that discourages some developers from even trying to do emulations these days.

with something like the arp 2600, it may be a cost issue

the cost of buying one in excellent condition (or any condition and getting it fixed/maintained)

the cost of developing (2 years min, prob more in reality)

then pricing.... it's a fairly niche product, not for the average user who likes cheap va stuff with edm banks

i imagine it's a dilemma for most devs

There are 2 motivations to long for emulations. Both nostalgic, either remembering those dream synths I could not afford in a lifetime, or those I had in the past. For me the exactness of the emulations is not that important, just needs to be close enough...
My dream synths not yet emulated:
Technos Acxel, Yamaha VP1
Synths I had in the past still missing:
Korg Poly 800, Kawai K-5, though a K-5000 is way more powerful... But the reason I wanted a K-5000 was the idea of resynthesis, there are better tools out nowadays...

If I wanted to recreate pieces of my 70s heros, its much better to get the sound packs from Nori Ubukata for Synthmaster. Now on sale including the player for $4 each... Just for nostalgic fun...
If I want to create sounds, none of the old would do it (unless I get back a real Arp 2600)... I do sound design in the Grid and could do there anything I made back then with any of my ancient hardware - plus it sounds better, as I can play it expressively with my LinnStrument...

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:08 am
Synths I had in the past still missing:
Korg Poly 800
https://www.kvraudio.com/news/synapse_a ... _850_13824

If I want to get nostalgic, it has to look like my Poly-800 including the inverse key colors...; - )
And I can‘t get it, it seems they don‘t sell it anymore... And the old price of 49 would probably not what I would be willing to pay... An aspect for devs to consider if they get into development...
The most successful emulations are sold in bundles. Arturia, Korg, Roland cloud...

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:34 am
The most successful emulations are sold in bundles. Arturia, Korg, Roland cloud...
but not the most accurate

At least from Korg and Roland they are accurate enough to make good music

They are there for nostalgia and not for productions. I don‘t care as long they sound good enough to trigger my memories... Then I could even use them for production (as long as they support MPE - so far only my Diva does that...; - )

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:50 am They are there for nostalgia and not for productions. I don‘t care as long they sound good enough to trigger my memories... Then I could even use them for production (as long as they support MPE - so far only my Diva does that...; - )
Have you ever thought yourself about making a nice nostalgia room awith collected the real hardware? :) If its for nostalgia i think its a perfect solution :)

I also have a feeling those Boutique releases from Roland are exactly made for that reason :)

Return to “Instruments”