VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
5076 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Post Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:02 am

fisherKing wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:41 am
Cinebient wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:35 am
These are no factory presets but it is all Plasmonic (like all sound examples I posted here). I just added here some extern reverb and seat the instruments like I would with real acoustic instruments (I use mostly Precedence and Breeze 2 for this from 2CAudio).
The thing I also like about Plasmonic that the quality of the sound really shines even more with some better reverb on top.
Plasmonic is no synth...it is a living instrument for me.
Sorry, I do not use Facebook, or twitter, or anything else related to social network beside a few music forums...I hate these platforms :wink:
I think I will share these presets when I fine tuned them, made them ready for MPE and a few other tweaks but that could take some time and I also just started to explore Plasmonic and see what it all can do. So far I am impressed and can just repeat that it is already my new favourite toy to play with. Finally something I think I will really try to learn inside out and master. It just inspires me and it really plays also so well together with other tools I like which is an important thing for me too.
Brian is a genius for me.
stop posting and start getting a soundbank together... :D i'm ready when you're ready to have me purchase it... :tu:
If it ends like my P900 preset bank you will never see it :hihi:
But it will be free.
I am very chaotic in terms of these things. I might focus on a few presets inside a category and share them maybe (like 10 flutes, then brass, keys....up to the obscure soundscapes played by aliens) otherwise I never get ready and my holiday (because of too much snow and ice) is over too next week and time will get rare again to play with it.
I just hope I end not alone like with my second favourite synth (P900).
But yes, I should stop spamming the thread here. Maybe I will post one more at the weekend focusing on morphing soundscapes and pads...which is maybe emote the intended use for Plasmonic rather than trying to emulate real instruments, which Plasmonic can do really well to my surprise. I even would say it could maybe be realistic and reacts as organic as something like SWAM and Pianoteq (I already said that somewhere here) but it was not made for this and so of course lacks the GUI and right parameter s to modulate.
So beware that also these examples are more or less played even lifeless since I am also no master player and my Seaboard is not ready yet (it is somewhere in the cellar and I have to see if it even still works). This was performed on my computer keyboard with the Touch Bar used as midi controller (works better as some might thought.
Long talk, just saying you def. can play these presets much much more expressive and alive...I will get there too in near future. The fun thing is it already can sound really great in normal midi mode with "just" velocity and expression and/or mod wheel f.e.
It is also quite like with other physical modelling tools. They can sound plain boring and like a bad digital synth if you do not make use of the expressions and/or have the right controller on top.
I think Plasmonic also could really shine with a wind or breath controller, I always wanted to add a good breath controller to my tools but never bought one.
Plasmonic finally convince me here to buy one.

KVRAF

Post Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:06 am

gunnar wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:59 am
And I agree I have one very good reverb and it makes even a chees general midi piano sound MUCH better
Yes, but I also mean a great source will shine even much more with a great reverb and room sound. A bad sound can just sound even....more bad sometimes with FX added.

KVRAF

Post Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:07 am

gunnar wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:52 am
Cine........

If you allow me I would like to post your music there...

I like this very much and agree. I am Kickstarter nr1 and one big plasmonic fanboy.

And these sounds coming from you make me even more into it my favourite instrument....

And now don't let us be distracting you working in these sounds...
Of course you can share it if you like. I would feel honoured. 😊
And wow, you are Nr.1 Kickstarter. Nice. I feel bad that I even thought first Plasmonic is not for me and nothing special....I was sooo wrong. I am happy that someone in another forum convinced me to demo it again and I bought it last day on intro sale.
But now I would say even the €149 is a steal if you really know how to use it.

KVRAF

Post Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:26 am

Oh and there is another thing which might not be the most important but which let the creator even shine more for me (even if I never really got warm with Absynth) and I begin to appreciate this when i see all the big words sometimes.
There is no marketing bla bla and how it is better than everything else out there and whatever.
This description from the developer is just on point and exact what it does. It is its own thing and in a class of its own but its up to the users to see that (or not).

"Plasmonic combines the resonant depth of physical modeling with subtractive synthesis.
Our goal is for Plasmonic to approach the depth and detail of an acoustic instrument, while making it easy to shape the sound into anything you want. Its deep modulation capability and MPE support make it very playable and expressive."
👆🏽

KVRian
701 posts since 14 Jul, 2018

Post Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:13 pm

Cinebient wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:35 am
I think I will share these presets ...
oh, yes please!
those sounds are wonderul!

KVRist
312 posts since 29 May, 2001

Post Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:13 pm

Cinebient wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:59 am
A little thing...
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/p ... ttle-thing
Did you play this with a standard keyboard?

KVRAF

Post Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:23 pm

gunnar wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:13 pm
Cinebient wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:59 am
A little thing...
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/p ... ttle-thing
Did you play this with a standard keyboard?
No....even just on my MacBook keyboard as midi input and using the Touch Bar as midi controller (but very subtle just here).
So like I said, these presets (3 here) are played even very static.
I will try tomorrow to set my Seaboard Rise up again and try some much more expressive.

KVRist
312 posts since 29 May, 2001

Post Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:32 pm

Wow!

Brian said your music piece is the best horn sound he heared from plasmonic yet. 🤘

KVRAF

Post Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:33 pm

gunnar wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:32 pm
Wow!

Brian said your music piece is the best horn sound he heared from plasmonic yet. 🤘
Nice to hear, I am a sucker for everything brass and learned a lot from my modular explorations a bit and from different physical modelling tools and that sometimes very tiny changes in one parameter can destroy the whole sound or make it much better.
In the meantime I think I have some better brass variations created already with a better control for expression. Kind of a whole section. The fun begins with Plasmonic if you create hybrids which might sound almost like a bass trombone, horns, piccolo trumpet hybrid.
I guess I could get it much more realistic and expressive with the right settings/modulations for some macros and MPE of course. But setting up one good MPE preset is really some work. I def. will try something tomorrow.

KVRist
42 posts since 1 Oct, 2005

Post Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:57 pm

Now I’m very curious, you mentioned you had a sax emulation as well?

KVRian
771 posts since 11 Aug, 2018 from UE

Post Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:58 am

Superb brass! Good job.
Best
YY

KVRAF

Post Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:08 am

TheHelioSequence wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:57 pm
Now I’m very curious, you mentioned you had a sax emulation as well?
Nothing is really emulated but I just tried to capture the timbre/character.
The saxophone is a bit far away for now. For a much better I think I would need audio rate modulation for the filter.
I can get much better results out of P900 (a modular) for this kind of sounds. And of course SWAM seems still the king here (for me at least)
But maybe I find another way. Plasmonic is not build really to emulate real acoustic instruments but still it can do it and there are several ways to achieve a similar result.
I mean I already dream about Plasmonic as FX and I wished I could run some of my other tools trough this resonator and use the excellent modulations options.
So far I got some nice flutes, bassoon like timbre, different timbres of brass sounds, reeds, strings.
These more "funky" saxophone like tones are a bit harder, especially if you want it to work across a bigger whole range. I like all this flattering sounds a lot.
F.e. I mean something like this, not realistic really but it has that flavour I like and its just made with a simple sawtooth wave trough a modulated filter and the right dose of saturation but sadly I cannot control the expression here as much as I could in Plasmonic. But I take the challenge to get there and better of course. First I also thought Plasmonic can't do nice organic brass, then I found a way when I looked how I did it with other tools.
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/saxosaurus
But anyway I maybe should stop to waste time to recreate "real" instruments since there are good tools for this but start to dive in the more unique sound Plasmonic can do, oh these morphing pads full of unpredicted resonances are wonderful and I almost see pictures in my head from strange instruments like marbles bouncing on a violin/octobass hybrid, bowed with vibranium :)
Last edited by Cinebient on Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF

Post Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:13 am

Whywhy wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:58 am
Superb brass! Good job.
Thank you, I think I fine tuned this even much better yet. I wanted to use my Seaboard today but it seems the battery is dead after I used it not for a very long time and I cannot find the cable 🥺

KVRAF
5675 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:54 am

Cinebient wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:13 am
Whywhy wrote:
Superb brass! Good job.
Thank you, I think I fine tuned this even much better yet. I wanted to use my Seaboard today but it seems the battery is dead after I used it not for a very long time and I cannot find the cable 🥺
Isn’t it a standard USB cable?

KVRAF

Post Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:01 am

Tj Shredder wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:54 am
Cinebient wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:13 am
Whywhy wrote:
Superb brass! Good job.
Isn’t it a standard USB cable?
On one side only...

Return to “Instruments”