PLASMONIC - A new synth from Brian Clevinger

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRist
311 posts since 29 May, 2001

Post Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:15 am

Yes. The programmer Brian wrote that it will evolve in time. No details, I guess because it's not decided yet.
But he confirmed more presets and more functions over time.
And he confirmed more plugins! He was thinking vaguely about a sample mangler.
My insta buy button is activated

KVRAF
6936 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:41 am

I almost always put a reverb after Plasmonic, it would be good to have that built in (maybe a shimmer). I love the internal fx provider as well and would love to access them standalone.
PC, Studio One, BWS, Live, FL Studio, Renoise, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths, Grove Boxes + Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars & Basses

KVRAF
5072 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Post Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:43 am

Not much time for any music last weeks but had to calm down from work and put this Plasmonic only track together (9 instances here) in about 30 minutes :)
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/d ... the-mirror

KVRist
311 posts since 29 May, 2001

Post Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:52 am

Very nice.

I guess it's again all presets from you?

I would love to see some YouTube videos how people start presets from scratch. Which module they start with and so on...

KVRAF
2001 posts since 5 Jan, 2003 from Brookings, OR

Post Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:58 pm

Cinebient wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:43 am
Not much time for any music last weeks but had to calm down from work and put this Plasmonic only track together (9 instances here) in about 30 minutes :)
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/d ... the-mirror

Loved it, thank you:) Particularly enjoyed the melodies sounding like responsive improvs and not like randomly generated “tunes” pasted over top of all the intriguing textures, which the last dozen or so SoundCloud demos of other plugins sounded like to me.

User avatar
tq
KVRian
809 posts since 23 Apr, 2003

Post Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:00 am

Finally, changed my setup and could re-activate my Roli Blocks. I mapped th macros to two lightpads, so I can control most of the parameters directly, which is lovely. :love:

However, I cannot map the mod wheel to the Lightpad Blocks, as Roli seemingly doesn't want MPE users to use global MW. :roll: I tried to use the various layouts in Roli Connect, but there is no layout that offers MW control.

So any Blocks users out there that have a solution for this? I know it's not Plasmonic's fault - but as the MW often controls some 'heavy change' parameters, I am missing that part (and it keeps nagging that I can control everything bar one thing, the standard mod wheel).

If not, I may shoot Brian a mail and ask whether MW could be remapped as well, as it's in the Macro Setup, anyway.

KVRAF
1644 posts since 8 Jun, 2018

Post Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:12 am

tq wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:00 am
Finally, changed my setup and could re-activate my Roli Blocks. I mapped th macros to two lightpads, so I can control most of the parameters directly, which is lovely. :love:

However, I cannot map the mod wheel to the Lightpad Blocks, as Roli seemingly doesn't want MPE users to use global MW. :roll: I tried to use the various layouts in Roli Connect, but there is no layout that offers MW control.

So any Blocks users out there that have a solution for this? I know it's not Plasmonic's fault - but as the MW often controls some 'heavy change' parameters, I am missing that part (and it keeps nagging that I can control everything bar one thing, the standard mod wheel).

If not, I may shoot Brian a mail and ask whether MW could be remapped as well, as it's in the Macro Setup, anyway.
mod wheel is CC 1. ok. never tried it with the two lightpad M blocks (and a seaboard block) i have, i use the modwheel of my novation..

roli has reserved one channel for global, channel 1, it can be changed (lower zone it's called), in the dashboard you see it.

problem is most of the times, MPE synths use 16 channels... soft synths...

if Plasmonic listens to all channels, and the mod wheel isn't a part of MPE (it isn't), and you map it with a lightpad, it isn't in MPE mode. it acts in that case as a normal midi controller.

so, the problem can be Plasmonic... or the combination...

but if you set your lightpad to for example, yes you have more apps, so a none MPE mode, that gives you faders, you see that it uses only one channel, and you cán map CC 1, me thinks.

how do you map? map in the roli dashboard, you can choose an app to your liking, and save the settings, an app with different settings...

i do map with lightpad M (only once, most of times the standard CC's work), never tried the modulation wheel.

don't own Plasmonic (yet...).

so lightpad block, if you use it as a midi CC controller, isn't in MPE mode. it works via 1 channel, that Plasmonic should receive. EDIT: if i remember correctly, not in my studio now, channel 1)

perhaps the problems lies with roli, that you can't set a fader (or X Y Z...) to CC 1? i shall check, perhaps someone else, has the solution right away.
take me as apple as reed-son as flesh-icon, immediately
shits the wise man. hero and blind. take me as
stick as tongue as dog... https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada

User avatar
tq
KVRian
809 posts since 23 Apr, 2003

Post Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:34 am

Thanks for the answer. O.k., it seems it's not Plasmonic nor Blocks in principle... I reprogrammed a Lightblock in the Roli Dashboard to send out cc1, and it worked for a split second, before the Lightblock "reset" to its initial cc's. Either that Lightblock is broken - wouldn't be the first one -, or it's the Roli Dashboard software that seems to be not fully compatible with my Mac Mini M1 (it consistently loses Blocks, then reconnects them, then loses them, ad infinitum).

Ah, well, if the Blocks would work as expected, they'd be super cool. However, they always give me a headache in real life use... :?

KVRAF
1650 posts since 5 Oct, 2003

Post Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:53 am

tq wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:34 am
Thanks for the answer. O.k., it seems it's not Plasmonic nor Blocks in principle... I reprogrammed a Lightblock in the Roli Dashboard to send out cc1, and it worked for a split second, before the Lightblock "reset" to its initial cc's. Either that Lightblock is broken - wouldn't be the first one -, or it's the Roli Dashboard software that seems to be not fully compatible with my Mac Mini M1 (it consistently loses Blocks, then reconnects them, then loses them, ad infinitum).

Ah, well, if the Blocks would work as expected, they'd be super cool. However, they always give me a headache in real life use... :?
I'm not sure this is your problem but I can check later today. I have a Lightpad BLOCK and use Bitwig with Plasmonics. The latest Dashboard version was giving me all kinds of trouble, mainly reverting values, to the point where I couldn't use it any more and went back to the previous version which works fine. I'll write back later today and can send you the previous version if you'd like.

User avatar
tq
KVRian
809 posts since 23 Apr, 2003

Post Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:31 am

Got it working after multiple attempts, switching off bluetooth and just using USB. It seems that Dashboard is relatively stable with just a few blocks. When I keep adding blocks (have 3 seaboard ones and three light blocks, plus two of the control ones), it seems to become less stable. It keeps blinking, connecting and disconnecting. Which is odd, as the blocks themselves are lit all the time, and seem to work without glitches/dropouts with Plasmonic. I guess that Dashboard with the Mini is just buggy as hell / not fully compatible. Fingers crossed the blocks keep working now, as it's working ATM. I try to just avoid doing anything in Dashboard... :-) Anyway, sorry about turning this into a Blocks discussion... Back to Plasmonic...!

KVRAF
1650 posts since 5 Oct, 2003

Post Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:02 am

^^^
Glad you got it working!

I found the link to the earlier version (4.21) if anyone needs it:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-aKtSC ... cBvA3/view

from this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=559895&p=8015914& ... t#p8015914

User avatar
KVRist
362 posts since 14 Mar, 2006

Post Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:00 am

gunnar wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:15 am
But he confirmed more presets and more functions over time.
Further development on an already cutting edge creative tool? Wow! Very good! :clap: :party:
gunnar wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:15 am
And he confirmed more plugins! He was thinking vaguely about a sample mangler.
Sample mangler from Brian Clevinger? :o Oh yeah, definitely an instabuy! :borg:

User avatar
KVRAF
10091 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from Kingston, Jamaica

Post Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:21 am

I forgot I even bought this.. yikes....
Maybe one day I will truly gel with it.
I assume no new versions have come out since the released version?
rsp
sound sculptist

KVRist
311 posts since 29 May, 2001

Post Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:29 am

Nope.

Your sins of not using it may you be forgiven...maybe

User avatar
KVRAF
10091 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from Kingston, Jamaica

Post Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:42 am

lol :)
rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Instruments”