PLASMONIC - A new synth from Brian Clevinger

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Absynth Plasmonic

Cinebient wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:47 am Another experiment with a brass sound. Terrible playing and just on my computer keyboard as midi input, so it can get much more expressive of course. Just used some random midi velocities as variable live input source. I do not much music related things anymore and so I put all my midi keyboards (in my case I only have the Seaboard Rise left) in a dark corner. So sorry for the bad playing....
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/p ... ssperiment
Couple of screenshots would be good enough for me.

OK, so Plasmonic v1.1 is released. Nice to see some improvements, like faster loading and some under-the-hood tweaks. But alas, I hoped that new version would bring significant improvements to UI, after all the feedback.

Still, here's how I think it could be better with several simple changes on Blue-Green theme:

- Different color hues for output and macros section. It helps understanding where the polyphonic voice is summed to stereo signal and creates an overall clearer structure, with vibrant but still subtle pallete.
- Stretched Macros section to the both side edges, without strange hanging space.
- Identical side margins, currently left margin is much bigger than right.
- Added Pitch Bend fader next to MW. All keyboard MIDI controllers have both, it's odd having just one of them represented.
- Changed that squashed and flimsy font for more solid and well proportioned one, compatible with the rest of text.
- Changed that awkward Plasmonic logotype with more convincing and substantial serif letters. Previous one looked like 1990s sci-fi B-movie about "cyber-hacking aliens".
- Deleted the equally awkward logo in the upper right corner. It's better to have empty space than some squiggly shape (broken comb with a lot of hairs).
- Bigger preset font. It's the title of sound you're playing, hence it's the second most important text to be shown (after the name of synth).
- Removed unecessary "i" letter next to preset name, description info is already shown in preset browser.
- Aligned header with the rest of UI elements.

There are many more things that could be done, these were just the changes that were relatively easy to photoshop.

https://iili.io/R1P6Au.jpg
Last edited by J1000 on Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Yep, that looks actually usable. :)

Hah sorry, except may be the preset name size, I find everything rather ugly :-)
Philippe

It's dark. Maybe some of the darker background areas could be made brighter.

Musical Gym wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:56 am It's dark. Maybe some of the darker background areas could be made brighter.
I Agree. That's the original skin's darkness I've forgot to change. Here's the brighter version which pops out nicely. (new link in previous post)

Like I said, these are only simple changes, a quick suggestions, rather than a definitive solution. Changing background areas too much messes up with overall theme.

And remove the gradient from the sliders , it's distracting .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I wish there was an option to swap the horizontal fine/coarse areas of sliders. Also I wish there was an option to just have the whole thing be coarse like a regular slider and maybe a key modifier like ctrl for fine.

That looks amazing, send this to dev! :)

Much easier to understand. I say send it to Brian.

Personally, for the way I like to work, my only gripe is that I feel like I have to hunt down modulation target assignments. I'm switching presets a lot and it's not immediately evident which parameters are assigned to "slide" and aftertouch. I wish I could slick a button on these parameters in the Expression tab and get a list. Sometimes assignments are hidden in the Modulator section so instead of visually looking for the highlighted assignments, an absolute list would be more helpful. Doesn't seem like a big deal but when you are switching between a lot of presets, not knowing makes it difficult if you are using MPE mostly. CC macro bar is nice! But yet and still, being able to see a list of all targets per CC# would be welcomed.

Try learning peogramming from scratch. It's the direxct path to endless joy

killmaster wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:30 am Personally, for the way I like to work, my only gripe is that I feel like I have to hunt down modulation target assignments. I'm switching presets a lot and it's not immediately evident which parameters are assigned to "slide" and aftertouch. I wish I could slick a button on these parameters in the Expression tab and get a list. Sometimes assignments are hidden in the Modulator section so instead of visually looking for the highlighted assignments, an absolute list would be more helpful. Doesn't seem like a big deal but when you are switching between a lot of presets, not knowing makes it difficult if you are using MPE mostly. CC macro bar is nice! But yet and still, being able to see a list of all targets per CC# would be welcomed.
Two things can help you :
1 Many presets contain explanation about the modulations they use
2 For, let’s say, Slide, go to Expression, hover at the left of the MPE Slide settings to see a white hollox corcle. Click on it, you’ll see the Slide destination modulations.
Philippe

p1afff wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:23 pm
killmaster wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:30 am Personally, for the way I like to work, my only gripe is that I feel like I have to hunt down modulation target assignments. I'm switching presets a lot and it's not immediately evident which parameters are assigned to "slide" and aftertouch. I wish I could slick a button on these parameters in the Expression tab and get a list. Sometimes assignments are hidden in the Modulator section so instead of visually looking for the highlighted assignments, an absolute list would be more helpful. Doesn't seem like a big deal but when you are switching between a lot of presets, not knowing makes it difficult if you are using MPE mostly. CC macro bar is nice! But yet and still, being able to see a list of all targets per CC# would be welcomed.
Two things can help you :
1 Many presets contain explanation about the modulations they use
2 For, let’s say, Slide, go to Expression, hover at the left of the MPE Slide settings to see a white hollox corcle. Click on it, you’ll see the Slide destination modulations.
Yes, thanks. I know about this. I'm referring to when the modulated parameter is hidden underneath one of the other modulator tabs as it sometimes is...

gunnar wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:48 am Try learning peogramming from scratch. It's the direxct path to endless joy
Yeh, this is a good way I'm sure.

Return to “Instruments”