PLASMONIC - A new synth from Brian Clevinger

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Absynth Plasmonic

gunnar wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:31 pm brian posted a new video about it

https://www.facebook.com/11485940994101 ... 834619991/
'tis the same video you posted a YT link to , 01/21/20 ...

I think it's a different one.
Still.gong sounds but different video.
I am.sorry if I mixed something up here

gunnar wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:48 pm I think it's a different one.
Still.gong sounds but different video.
I am.sorry if I mixed something up here
no worries ...
8)

there is a new text on the preorder site:

New filters and effects under construction...
I’m very happy with the state of Plasmonic development the past month. Many of the more challenging tasks are out of the way, and I’ve also been experimenting with new filter modes and delay effects (more on those later!).

Well, I will talk a little about one of the delay effects because I’m sure it will make it into the final instrument: Sympathetic effect. I’ve always loved the Ondes Martenot “Palme” speaker (read about it here https://tinyurl.com/qkfzrr9), as well as traditional instruments incorporating sympathetic strings. In fact most string instruments produce sympathetic vibrations from open strings (dulcimer, piano with the pedal down, guitar with un-muted strings). This seemed like a perfect addition to Plasmonic.

Sympathetic isn’t just a bank of plain comb filters; each “string” responds dynamically to input, in subtle or radical ways. I’m excited about it, and I’ll make a demo as soon as possible so you can hear what it sounds like.

Thanks so much for your support, it’s very exciting to be back in the saddle again and I can wait to unleash Plasmonic on the music world.

^^^ got in email with same text more or less. nice info update! stoked on where this is going.

I wonder if it‘s worth nearly 100 Euro...

Calenberger wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:23 pm I wonder if it‘s worth nearly 100 Euro...
you'll kick yourself later , when the pre-order has passed ...

experimental.crow wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:29 pm
Calenberger wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:23 pm I wonder if it‘s worth nearly 100 Euro...
So if this offers really something innovative in physical modeling i happily pay the full price.

experimental.crow wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:29 pm
That was my thinking too, kind of. But the 100 Euro price caused me to hesitate.
A well-behaved signature.

So isn´t that sympathetic effect something like Pianoteq does for sympathetic resonance.
Not sure. Is there any synth out there beside Pianoteq which use this effect?
Whatever, my interest in this synth is finally there.

So what kind of synth is it going to be? Strting emulation/physical modelling, for emulating acoustic plucked intruments and such?

TBH I rather hoped for something more similar to Absynth, pads/soundscapes/atmospheres.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Cinebient wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:22 pm So isn´t that sympathetic effect something like Pianoteq does for sympathetic resonance.
Yes it's the same idea as with Pianoteq. It's basically that hitting some notes can have an effect on other notes, creating more complex interactions between them just playing on top of each separately. If you hold some piano keys down gently and quietly and while holding them play other notes, those other notes being triggering will also resonate the notes that are held (since the dampers are off). I guess this happens with other open stringed instruments too.

I'm not sure of other synths that do that, but I know that many kontakt piano libraries emulate that effect.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:40 pm
Cinebient wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:22 pm So isn´t that sympathetic effect something like Pianoteq does for sympathetic resonance.
Yes it's the same idea as with Pianoteq. It's basically that hitting some notes can have an effect on other notes, creating more complex interactions between them just playing on top of each separately. If you hold some piano keys down gently and quietly and while holding them play other notes, those other notes being triggering will also resonate the notes that are held (since the dampers are off). I guess this happens with other open stringed instruments too.

I'm not sure of other synths that do that, but I know that many kontakt piano libraries emulate that effect.
Yes. But i wonder if at the end Plasmonic is really something different beside using a waveguide, resonator etc. in other synths.
About the sympathetic effect i found this just shows how effective it is (watch to the end).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suQbK7AA5XI

recursive one wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:26 pm So what kind of synth is it going to be? Strting emulation/physical modelling, for emulating acoustic plucked intruments and such?

TBH I rather hoped for something more similar to Absynth, pads/soundscapes/atmospheres.
I think it's sort of both. He says it's not meant to emulate string instruments in a realistic way (so not like a modo bass type of thing), but rather using physcial modeling principles for sound design. I'm sur we will find plenty in the way of soundscapes and atmostpheres with this.

Well I just took the plunge. I know some people find the GUI a bit boring but I'm liking the simplicity and large areas, which should be good for touch. I'm getting really sick of any plugins with tiny little buttons or knobs. Touch screens are so much nicer to use with large areas to touch on VSTs.

Cinebient wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:45 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:40 pm

Yes. But i wonder if at the end Plasmonic is really something different beside using a waveguide, resonator etc. in other synths.
About the sympathetic effect i found this just shows how effective it is (watch to the end).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suQbK7AA5XI
I didn't realize that metronomes syncing up on a table was an example of sympathetic resonance. But now that I think about, I suppose the table in this case is indeed being oscillated by the metronomes (which is what causes the metronomes to sync by the way, not the air in this case), much like a string or a tuning fork would be by other vibrations exciting them.

Return to “Instruments”