Install new VSTs with alias folders (Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
INDEXMOON
KVRer
3 posts since 18 Oct, 2013 from Sweden

Post Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:59 am

Hi guys,

First off; English isn't my native language, so if there's any f**ked up grammar etc. in my text - don't be too harsh on me... :wink:

Secondly; I just recently found out that you can save tons of space on your harddrive with "alias folders". Perfect. I transferred over my presets, sample libraries, acapellas etc. (not my actual VSTs though!) onto my external harddrive, i.e. most of the stuff that's to be found in the Application Support aswell as Audio folders.

So far, so good, right? HOWEVER, what the hell am I supposed to do once I want to install new VSTs? :? As far as, let's say... acapellas goes it's all good hence I can decide to download them to my desktop and then transfer over them to my external harddrive. But what about stuff that usually automatically gets sent to the Application Support or Audio folders (not the VSTs themselves though)? I mean, both of these folders are now "alias folders" pointing to my external harddrive.

Will they now automatically be transferred to my external harddrive once I download or what's up? I haven't tried anything yet hence I've been afraid to accidentally f**k something up, heh.

Sorry for the long post. Fingers crossed that someone has a good answer to my stupid(?) question... :D

Forgotten
KVRAF
5313 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: Install new VSTs with alias folders (Mac)

Post Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:06 am

You should be able to move them to an external drive and create a symbolic link to the new folder.

I would normally do this in a terminal - is that how you do it?

INDEXMOON
KVRer

Post Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:43 am

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
I moved my old presets / sound banks etc. to my external drive and created symlinks.

I'm guessing there won't be any new stuff added to the, let's say... Logic folder that's inside Application Support, but I have some other folders inside Application Support from companies that I've downloaded completely NEW plug-ins from (including Native Instruments, Output etc...)

As an example, I have downloaded the Mallet Flux VST from N.I. - but I haven't installed it yet. What will happen when I want to install a NEW plug-in (like Mallet Flux) from Native Instruments (or any other company for that matter) once I already have an alias folder?
Take a look at my attached photo and you'll hopefully understand what I mean -> https://ibb.co/V91y5ZL (https://ibb.co/V91y5ZL)
(And yes, I'm aware these are not alias folders... I'm just about to format my external drive!)

It seems pretty ridicilous having to re-do the whole process of deleting, transferring, deleting bla bla bla a whole folder big as the Native Instruments folder inside Application Support as soon as I want to install a new plug-in.

Forgotten
KVRAF
5313 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Post Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:54 am

Maybe you’re creating links at too high of a level? Maybe you could create links at the level of individual installation folders.

For example, keep a real Native Instruments folder under Application Support, and create your links in that folder.

INDEXMOON
KVRer

Post Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:22 am

Uhm, that might actually be quite a good shout man!!

So, in other words; keep the original Native Instruments folder under Application Support - but instead create alias folders of FM8, Kontakt 5, Massive etc etc etc...? That way, when I download new plug-ins - they would actually be installed in the original Native Instruments folder under Application Support, and then I'd just have to create a symlink to an alias folder?

Anyone has got any other clues that might be "better" / more convenient? If not, thank you so much Forgotten!!

Tj Shredder
KVRAF
3284 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:09 am

For all NI stuff, you can choose the content path within Native Access, no symlinks needed. Only devs who insist to place stuff on the boot drive need to be fooled with symlinks... works like a charm always...

Return to “Instruments”