ReFx Nexus 3 (N3) Finally here!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nexus

I think this is more a Windows issue. I need to re-pin NI Maschine and Komplete Kontrol to my taskbar after every update so it's definitely not a reFX only problem.

On the other hand Reefius, I do not have that issue. I have yet to have to repin any of my shortcuts on Windows Start. This is the first time I have had to. Otherwise, and trust me, I would have said nothing.

As mentioned before, I am not one to go screaming like a baby, threatening to sell off my product or boycott. I am a business man, and when my clients bug with issues that are not my problem, they still get 1st hand top notch support and help from me at my expense. While I do not expect this from others (not everyone lives by the golden rule) I expect a degree of respect. My letter to them was filled with praise for their bug fixes and adulation for their new cloud product.

To brush me off after that was considerably off putting. Yet while I still consider the product good, it gives me a degree of understanding about the personality of the folks I am trying to get help from. One line brush offs are the bane of the world we live in. Oh well...it is what it is (quoted 2016 style).

I dont know anything about "re-pinning", dont even understand what you mean :) However, I think they might have that much tickets in the moment at reFX because of so many people upgrading, that they really have to preselect. Usually they give quick and good answers. :borg:

FigBug wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:53 pm 1) Pretty much
2) No. Nexus 3 replaces Nexus 2.
3) No, Nexus 3 presets only load in Nexus 3
4) It's usable on Windows 7 SP1.
5) N2 presets should sound exact same in N3.
noiseboyuk wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:46 am Actually it is possible to run both as I did it by accident when their installer didn't update my VST2 version. I think if you renamed Nexus 2's dll to something else, or put it in another location, you'd be able to run them side by side. Nexus 2 would I believe still run all the pre-Nexus 3 expansions.
Thanks for answering guys, exactly what I wanted to know :D

So it's seems a $100 for the patch browser, compared to the nexus2 I already have.
If this price is official & doesn't change,
Then I'll def wait till they got all the bugs out.

To the guys with the Nexus2 favorite's issue
here's my tip to go about exporting the fav's as presets, to a folder/bank,
& then use it in nexus3.

Step1 -make folder/bank to export favorite's to-
In your presets folder list: path >Refx Nexus Content/Presets<
make a folder, name it “Fav exports” or whatever you like.

Step2 -saving fav sounds into folder/bank-
In nexus2 vst, in left pane go to fav list, right pane select the sound & load as playable.
Then in left pane, navigate to the folder/bank “fav exports” double click to open right pane-empty.
Then right click on the current loaded preset name to save to folder.
[Can also double left click to change preset name first, and then right click to save to folder. The original preset in fav,will still remain intact unchanged.]
Repeat for every sound in your fav you want exported to the folder/bank.
This way you can load them as normal presets, and should work in nexus3 like that too.

Nexus fav list is not saved as files, as in .fxp
so I don't use that silly thing much anymore.

To the guys that old projects with nex2 don't load with nex3.
Can't your rename the .dll giving nex3 a different newer name?
so nex2 with its original dll opens up with older projects like it used to?
Just like noiseboyuk said. Might be worth a try.

Here is the official answer from reFX:

"Pinning a shortcut has nothing to do with Nexus.

Regards,
Adam"

Hmmm. reFX makes an installer that deletes a shortcut on MY computer that I created. I pin a shortcut to reFX Cloud on Windows Start. Everytime (about twice a day on average since they keep updating the service and Nexus3) that shortcut gets deleted when the installer updates.

8DIO, EastWest, Steinberg, XLN, Waves, Izotope, Plugin Alliance, Spitfire, IK Multimedia, Native Instruments, etc. all make cloud installers, all of which are pinned to my start, all of which do NOT get deleted when they update...and they tell me it has nothing to do with Nexus...

I DID NOT COMPLAIN THAT IT HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH NEXUS! I told them that it was reFX Cloud installer that was doing this. It deleted a shortcut on MY PERSONAL COMPUTER that I CREATED.

msvs, you seem like a nice guy. You talk about this not being a support forum. Yet I get more support and help here than I receive from the useless answer I got from reFX.

I have been a loyal customer for years and own many reFX products. I will probably continue to for a long time. But reFX needs to step up on accountability and offer, at the very least, a satisfying answer that I can wrap my head around.

Yes, it has nothing to do with Nexus3...but has EVERYTHING to do with reFX Cloud. They deleted something I saved on my computer. However small of a thing it may be, it is wrong.
Not sure if it solves your problem, but you could try this:

- Right-click on the with the mouse on the shortcut
- Select properties
- Select the security tab
- Set it to read only for the user, the admin and the system

To the guys about layering, synths & sound design.
Here's my take on how I view it & few tips.
& might be helpful not to bash eachother's heads needlessly lol

I have other synths for doing sounds from scrap-zero, that use oscillators etc.
But I do use nexus for sound design & making a lot of my own saved presets.
I agree that sound presets, with the internal fixed layers is very limited on editing.
Can basically only set active, or trancepose a few keys.
So I wished too that it would've been bit more expanded on with nex3.

Also lots of presets has their other layers muted.
There are PL pluck sounds for example. that have internal layers muted, just the plucky one active.
There are pads, guitars & other instruments there you otherwise wouldn't ever hear.
Exploring those layers within over the years, I found real gems that all the other presets didn't have.
I edited & saved them as presets in my own banks/folders.
But it's very hard & tedious time consuming, so I can def relate when other want those layering options.
Uptil now I've been doing multiple instances of nexus to layer things.
I've made presets named like – Thunderlead 1of 3, Thunderlead 2of 3, Thunderlead 3of 3.
Have them loaded on 3 tracks/instances to have them sound as one sound,
& adjusting the track in milliseconds so they're in sync as they would in one instance.
Layering options of different soundpresets could solve that issue.

But like someone said, refx not gonna work on that, they're on that money milking thing.

To me nex2 is a great preset editing machine, that can sculp sound fast & easy.
Sharp Pluck sound, put a low pass, play low octave, got a beefy bass pluck instantly to layer with something else to get a new sound thing.
That's my view how I use it, just molding like that for what I need, like the makers intended.
The more I can edit & shape the better.
I'm not clear on what nex3 brings to the table other than an bigger presets view.
I'll wait things out

Yes, it's a Rompler, but not a passive preset machine like Synthmaster free player, that can't edit anything.

End of the day, you want to have that sound that's in your head.
Get it by any means! Not worth bashing eachother over using synth/rompler or whatnot lol!
Cheers

Am currently looking at Plugin boutiq's Carbon,
great for techno I've heard, lot of tech guys use it, carl cox too.
And Soundspot's Union, out since few months, popular with trance guys.
For other new sounds than the typical edm/trancy, should look in the acoustic department , then mod to your liking with an effect chain ;)
I did that too and came out great.

So it's seems a $100 for the patch browser
and many other things... new impulses, new arp functions, new reverb types, no dongle, and not to forget 350 new presets, which justifies alone the price of 3 XPs

short overwiev of some new features of N3... GET IT NOW while you still have xmas prices on all XPs! https://youtu.be/Gor2rLQbv30

Markus Krause wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:24 am
Not sure if it solves your problem, but you could try this:

- Right-click on the with the mouse on the shortcut
- Select properties
- Select the security tab
- Set it to read only for the user, the admin and the system
This is the type of suggestion I was hoping for initially. Didn't think of that. Thanks and will try it!

Jon

msvs wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:12 pm short overwiev of some new features of N3... GET IT NOW while you still have xmas prices on all XPs! https://youtu.be/Gor2rLQbv30
If only those layers were named properly instead of layer 1,2, 3 etc, it'd make editing the arps, trancegates and layers 100x better. Is there any chance they will ever be named? It was obviously on the cards for N3, else why did Mike bother to have the dropdown in the layers panel to name them, then completely abandon it? Absolute madness, IMO.

please think about it a second: we have almost 24.000 presets. When I assume that each preset can have up to 16 layers, and in average each preset has 6 to 8 layers... well you have to do far beyond 120.000 (!) entries - BY HAND and with your brain. Mission Impossible, sorry. Maybe ask Ethan Hunt (or Chuck Norris)

msvs wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:03 pm please think about it a second: we have almost 24.000 presets. When I assume that each preset can have up to 16 layers, and in average each preset has 6 to 8 layers... well you have to do far beyond 120.000 (!) entries - BY HAND and with your brain. Mission Impossible, sorry. Maybe ask Ethan Hunt (or Chuck Norris)
Yeah but think how amazing editing would be once its done! 😁

It's reasons like this why u-he got voted bear developer recently at kvr. They would do it.
Rsp
sound sculptist

Not sure if I would ever buy, but would Nexus 3 Standard ever go on a discounted sale? Simply can't afford it (right now).

Return to “Instruments”