Planning on selling Sampletank 3 - replace with?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am considering selling this program and replacing it with smaller apps for the instruments I use it for the most - bass, guitars, strings organ and synths....

Are there any decent stand alone apps for those categories?

Alternatively is it possible to only install those instruments I want from Sampletank and not the whole library? I was going to try and install it to a Surface Pro (i5, 4g,) but there are a LOT of the library sounds I have never used in 4 years, so I was thinking to reduce space maybe I could either sell it off and buy stand-alones or load it up with a reduced library.

What would others think would be the best way to go?

I believe you could manually search through your installed ST3 sound content folders, and manually delete the instrument and sample categories that you don't want. Then ST3 will rebuild the library from what it finds available.

I don't know if a selective sound content install is possible, as the 8 installers that I downloaded are only listed as: "SampleTank_3_Sound_Content_Part_1.zip" ... "SampleTank_3_Sound_Content_Part_8.zip".

Probably the easiest and most cost effective way to assemble a high quality custom sound library would be to get the full version of NI Kontakt, and then add any individual instruments to the library that you need.

Or you can save $400 for the full version, and buy any of these Kontakt instruments (ala carte) and use them in the free NI Kontakt Player: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... dbykontakt

Most of these instrument libraries are not included with the full Kontakt factory library, and would be extras anyway. Some are included with the Komplete bundle.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

thanks but I have found in the past that the free player only allows you to load in instruments in "demo" mode!

^^^
You are referring to Kontakt Player there, I presume. It will load the Factory Selection library and any products that are licensed for it.

As for ST3, as zzz00m said, you could delete (or better put on a back-up disk) the instruments and sample files that you do not want then rebuild the cache database. You can always add in any of the others later on.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Cool, thanks - I'll give that a go! For the most part (apart from crashing in Sonar) I like the sounds in ST3, so keeping it would be the preferred option.

Kontakt is the least cost effective way of replacing. Good libraries will keep you broke and constantly caught in doing updates and upgrades instead of playing and producing.

Stopped using STank quite awhile ago. And put a moratorium on buying anymore Kontakt. Both products feel like a growth that can't be cut off now and just have to live with what I have.

Depending on how you feel about eLicenser, my best recommendation is Steinberg HALion now. I use it almost daily and specifically to replace STank and Kontakt (as well as many other single synth plugins).

miden wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:33 am thanks but I have found in the past that the free player only allows you to load in instruments in "demo" mode!
Regarding the free Kontakt Player, that would be true for most 3rd party libraries.

But in the link I provided above, any of the "Powered by Kontakt" instruments sold by Native Instruments are fully licensed for the Kontakt Player. And they have a decent collection to choose from. So if you buy them from NI you are good! :tu:

On the other hand, all 3rd party sound library developers are required to pay license fees to NI for the rights to make their libraries Kontakt Player compatible. So if you plan to buy 3rd party, you will need to check their fine print. Most, but not all, will say "full version of Kontakt" required.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:37 pm
miden wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:33 am thanks but I have found in the past that the free player only allows you to load in instruments in "demo" mode!
Regarding the free Kontakt Player, that would be true for most 3rd party libraries.

But in the link I provided above, any of the "Powered by Kontakt" instruments sold by Native Instruments are fully licensed for the Kontakt Player. And they have a decent collection to choose from. So if you buy them from NI you are good! :tu:

On the other hand, all 3rd party sound library developers are required to pay license fees to NI for the rights to make their libraries Kontakt Player compatible. So if you plan to buy 3rd party, you will need to check their fine print. Most, but not all, will say "full version of Kontakt" required.
Cooly, thanks zz00m

miden wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:23 am I am considering selling this program and replacing it with smaller apps for the instruments I use it for the most - bass, guitars, strings organ and synths....
ST3 is a simple and fast way to load, layer, and blend instruments.
I doubt the sale money would be worth that lost capability.
Instead, watch the no-brainer sales like a hawk. :hyper:
You can remove/re-install un-used ST3 instruments,
and re-scan the sounds to refresh it.
Cheers

glokraw wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:56 pm
miden wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:23 am I am considering selling this program and replacing it with smaller apps for the instruments I use it for the most - bass, guitars, strings organ and synths....
ST3 is a simple and fast way to load, layer, and blend instruments.
I doubt the sale money would be worth that lost capability.
Instead, watch the no-brainer sales like a hawk. :hyper:
You can remove/re-install un-used ST3 instruments,
and re-scan the sounds to refresh it.
Cheers
:tu:

Are there any decent stand alone apps for those categories?

Alternatively is it possible to only install those instruments I want from Sampletank and not the whole library? I was going to try and install it to a Surface Pro (i5, 4g,) but there are a LOT of the library sounds I have never used in 4 years, so I was thinking to reduce space maybe I could either sell it off and buy stand-alones or load it up with a reduced library.

What would others think would be the best way to go?
While the SampleTank 3 library is not downloadable by instrument/category, as the other users mention, you can delete any "Samples" (.pak) and "Instruments" (.st3i) files you don't need. Check out the image below on the file/folder structure that SampleTank 3 uses, as well as a description of the files used in each folder. To find your DISK PATH, click the COG WHEEL in SampleTank 3s upper right hand corner.

*Notice there is an "Instruments" and "Samples" folder. Delete any instruments you don't want from both of these locations and then re-launch SampleTank 3 to re-scan your DISK PATH. The "Instruments" are essentially the preset settings for your sounds and the "Samples" include the sound content.
Hope this helps SampleTank 3 fit better into your rig!
Make sure to keep an eye out on the IK Multimedia web site for future news and promotions!

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!

Lovely! Thanks Ryan IK :)

Return to “Instruments”