Opinions on MassiveX

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Massive Massive X Zebra

Here is the link to new skins. Not sure if it has change logs.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... massive-x/

From the changelog

100 new presets, some Komplete Kontrol added, dropped presets now go to user folder and a few fixes.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

It get's better!

Here’s the thing, though: NI has their own interface aesthetic. It’s visible in their whole instrument collection. It’s evolved toward simplicity of visual impact, but it’s always been different. Raum and MX share the same visual space for me.

And they both sound wonderful.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Pigments a lot as well! It’s also an amazing value for the cost, whether on sale or full price.

But at this point, I wouldn’t be without either. They each have a sound, a look and a feel to them. They are both evolving rapidly, but already full featured and stable as is.

The only question is a subjective one: do you like them, or not? If you do.... enjoy! If you don’t... why bother any further?

For non link clickers-

Massive X 1.2 - 2019-12-18
ADDED The Lightguide on KOMPLETE KONTROL S-Series Keyboards indicates the remote octave of the Performer
ADDED Dropping presets on the UI saves them in the user folder
ADDED 100 new Factory Presets
IMPROVED Demo time has been increased from 30 to 60 minutes
FIXED Stereo Delay with sync no longer causes audio dropout on selection of another track
FIXED Vertical Grid in the Tracker editor no longer shows wrong values
FIXED The Exciter Envelope display curve no longer jitters when "Hold" is set to 0 and "Ratio" is moved
FIXED The INIT preset is loaded in Pro Tools on initial loading
FIXED All parts of the application now mark the current preset with an asterisk when edited
FIXED Freezing and unfreezing of a track now results in the same sound. This occasionally was not the case before
FIXED in the latest FL Studio 20.6 release: Massive X plugin window doesn't shrink anymore on every preset load
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I have to say, calling this rather little update as "1.2" doesn't sound very encouraging

Sinisterbr wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:58 pm I have to say, calling this rather little update as "1.2" doesn't sound very encouraging
there are some new features, and bug fixes, so a very-traditional point update. hence, '1.2'

what's the problem, exactly?

I went through about the first 20-30 1.2 presets and yet again cannot fathom the love. Since so many love this synth, could you point either to some presets or a link to some audio online where you think Massive X really shines. Still curious to know if I'm missing the good stuff or its just that sound I don't like.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

am actually listening thru them now, and finding some really good stuff. equally, some presets i would never use... but that's the point; we all have different tastes, different needs. so, if nothing moves you, and the GUI, and the capabilities (which seem pretty impressive)don't speak to you, it's not the synth for you. great that we have lots of great synth plugins to choose from.

noiseboyuk wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:26 pm I went through about the first 20-30 1.2 presets and yet again cannot fathom the love. Since so many love this synth, could you point either to some presets or a link to some audio online where you think Massive X really shines. Still curious to know if I'm missing the good stuff or its just that sound I don't like.
Not tried the latest presets yet, but I didn't warm to the initial bunch. I get that NI wanted to showcase what it can do, but that can often lead to show-boating, in lieu of usable sounds.
The irony is that to show off the real quality of the sound engine, you need to go back to simpler fayre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4VbwK6foh8

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:10 pm Not tried the latest presets yet, but I didn't warm to the initial bunch. I get that NI wanted to showcase what it can do, but that can often lead to show-boating, in lieu of usable sounds.
The irony is that to show off the real quality of the sound engine, you need to go back to simpler fayre
he really makes some of the best soundsets... i've got a lot of his stuff (including this set). :tu:

I wish I liked Pigments. Arturia filters sound like plastic to me and its a problem across their entire line. Maybe I'm insane but I don't find it inspirational. When I take their synths and put them through a filter I like (Soundtoys for example) I'm in a much better place right away. This is the only reason I'm not dropping 49 dollars on Pigments. Otherwise, it seems useful, but I'm just tired of being underwhelmed.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:10 pm
noiseboyuk wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:26 pm I went through about the first 20-30 1.2 presets and yet again cannot fathom the love. Since so many love this synth, could you point either to some presets or a link to some audio online where you think Massive X really shines. Still curious to know if I'm missing the good stuff or its just that sound I don't like.
Not tried the latest presets yet, but I didn't warm to the initial bunch. I get that NI wanted to showcase what it can do, but that can often lead to show-boating, in lieu of usable sounds.
The irony is that to show off the real quality of the sound engine, you need to go back to simpler fayre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4VbwK6foh8
He’s amazing.

functionform wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:29 pm I wish I liked Pigments. Arturia filters sound like plastic to me and its a problem across their entire line. Maybe I'm insane but I don't find it inspirational. When I take their synths and put them through a filter I like (Soundtoys for example) I'm in a much better place right away. This is the only reason I'm not dropping 49 dollars on Pigments. Otherwise, it seems useful, but I'm just tired of being underwhelmed.
Same here regarding Pigments.

Return to “Instruments”