Opinions on MassiveX

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
chk071
KVRAF
22457 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:46 pm

khaosgott wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:39 am
Also, for those who have both MassiveX and Synthmaster2 (also has a sweet discount at the moment), how would you compare the two?
Sounds a hundred times better to me.

Generally, it has its flaws. But, the sound is the most important for me, and MX definitely delivers.

v1o
KVRAF
1996 posts since 2 Oct, 2004

Re: Opinions on MassiveX

Post Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:47 pm

Dencheg wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:41 pm
v1o wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:36 am
Well its a wavetable synth not a subtractive one. Wavetable synths are not exactly known for being warm. Traditionally wavetable synths like the Waldorfs and PPGs of this world have been described as either glassy or metallic in timbre.

Have you tried Diva, Repro, Monark and the Legend? Did you not like them.
No.
Massive X is a wavetable subtractive synth, like Massive
Then so is the PPG. As far as I know all Wavetable synths have filters.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

glokraw
KVRAF
7201 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Re: Opinions on MassiveX

Post Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:30 pm

If MassiveX used the U-he registration scheme, I'd buy it
when on sale. Too many great instruments here already,
I can't justify full retail anymore. I like it's raw waveforms
with some effects chains added. The presets go far beyond that,
show what real sound designers can drag up out of the dungeon :hyper:

khaosgott
KVRist
97 posts since 3 Jul, 2018

Re: Opinions on MassiveX

Post Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:53 pm

Thanks a lot for all the input, seeing so much opposing opinions is not helping to make a decision.

As far as it's complexity, how does it compare to Massive1, Serum or native Live tools? Unfortunately Im not the greatest synthesis guy, so it is important to have a software that will be simple enough for a dumb person like myself to have a good starting point.

Thanks again

User avatar
DJ Warmonger
KVRAF
3457 posts since 7 Jun, 2012 from Warsaw

Re: Opinions on MassiveX

Post Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:29 pm

Massive X is awesome, probably my new favourite. I was even going to write a blog about that :roll:
http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Stirner
KVRist
40 posts since 4 Jun, 2019

Re: Opinions on MassiveX

Post Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:36 pm

For me MassiveX is very inspiring. I'm not a good patcher and usually work with presets but with MassiveX creating sounds is very easy to do - patches create themselves without much work.

The sound engine is very impressive of course, so most patches sound fine, but it's also the selection of available tools. There are not many wavetables/filters/effects - but they are very unique und carefully selected and each of them offers a lot of flexibility. It's not like Omnisphere and Avenger where you have 100 filters, 50 effects and 1000 wavetables, which is fine, but I prefer to choose between 10 unique alternatives, each of them being excellent, than to browse through 10 times more choices where most of them sound similar. It's better for my workflow.

timwest
KVRist
65 posts since 21 Jan, 2018 from Sydney, Australia

Re: Opinions on MassiveX

Post Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:47 pm

Massive X is a great synth. I really love it. The quality of the filters is amazing.

User avatar
Spencer Maddox
KVRian
564 posts since 19 Oct, 2017 from a state of anxiety

Re: Opinions on MassiveX

Post Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:51 pm

I too really like Massive X.

I was originally disappointed but I’ve kinda grown on it.
You have the wavetables they give you and the powerful morphing tools they give you and everything they give you and you can’t add anything else like Say a Serum where you can drop hundreds of wavetables in and try.
But I’m some ways that forces you to really squeeze the sonic potential out of what they give you and you can really make a lot of Sick sounds with what it is...


Still would like them to add a WT import function however. Heck I just wanna add some of those classic original massive wavetables in it
College Flunkie
Preset Junkie

User avatar
DJ Warmonger
KVRAF
3457 posts since 7 Jun, 2012 from Warsaw

Re: Opinions on MassiveX

Post Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:01 am

http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Dencheg
KVRist
94 posts since 10 Oct, 2018

Re: Opinions on MassiveX

Post Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:09 am

v1o wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:47 pm
Dencheg wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:41 pm
v1o wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:36 am
Well its a wavetable synth not a subtractive one. Wavetable synths are not exactly known for being warm. Traditionally wavetable synths like the Waldorfs and PPGs of this world have been described as either glassy or metallic in timbre.

Have you tried Diva, Repro, Monark and the Legend? Did you not like them.
No.
Massive X is a wavetable subtractive synth, like Massive
Then so is the PPG. As far as I know all Wavetable synths have filters.
I assume the metallic character is not a direct implication of wavetables, as "classic" oscillators are subsets of wavetables (at least mathematically). I think it's more about the way the wavetables get interpolated or designed in the first place.

Stefken
KVRAF
1709 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Re: Opinions on MassiveX

Post Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:20 am

If you are going for simple, I would choose another synth.
Also not really an alternative for Serum imo.
I would e.g. consider something like Icarus2 or Spire.

chk071
KVRAF
22457 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Opinions on MassiveX

Post Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:38 am

Dencheg wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:09 am
v1o wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:47 pm
Dencheg wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:41 pm
v1o wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:36 am
Well its a wavetable synth not a subtractive one. Wavetable synths are not exactly known for being warm. Traditionally wavetable synths like the Waldorfs and PPGs of this world have been described as either glassy or metallic in timbre.

Have you tried Diva, Repro, Monark and the Legend? Did you not like them.
No.
Massive X is a wavetable subtractive synth, like Massive
Then so is the PPG. As far as I know all Wavetable synths have filters.
I assume the metallic character is not a direct implication of wavetables, as "classic" oscillators are subsets of wavetables (at least mathematically). I think it's more about the way the wavetables get interpolated or designed in the first place.
Yep.

User avatar
EnGee
KVRAF
5731 posts since 7 Oct, 2005 from NZ

Re: Opinions on MassiveX

Post Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:56 am

I didn't like it at first (when first it came out) but after the major update, it is now from my favourite synths :)

It sounds bigger and more detailed than Massive 1, but the presets are the same NI style so it is a continuous to Massive 1 but more complex due to the synth is more complex than Massive 1. Personally I "love" NI style of sounds because they are into sci-fi kind of sounds.

It is digital, no doubt about it, but it sounds great IMO. I like it more than Serum and much more than SynthMaster 1 or 2 (in some point I had them both, but I don't now). So, for $99 (the discount price, right?) it worth it absolutely especially if you have a good CPU. It doesn't use that much really, maybe average preset uses 15 to 30% of my Ryzen 1600x which is average CPU these days.

Anyway, maybe SynthMaster is a better buy if you want more Dance presets to start with, so it is not exactly about which one sounds better or more detailed, but which one you are going to use more!
Let's donate to help the kids and save our planet.

Buckster
KVRist
87 posts since 27 Nov, 2016

Re: Opinions on MassiveX

Post Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:42 am

Anyone know the discounted price for UK please

Can't get it to show me a final.price without giving my full details

I suspect it will add VAT

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
15262 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: Opinions on MassiveX

Post Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:47 am

Buckster wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:42 am
Anyone know the discounted price for UK please

Can't get it to show me a final.price without giving my full details

I suspect it will add VAT
If it’s any help, there was nothing added onto the listes price on my recent order (Europe).

Return to “Instruments”