Unify by PluginGuru; The next big thing?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Unify (Standard Edition)

David wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:44 am My point is simply that Unify's similarities to Freestyle, Patchwork, Metaplugin, etc. are, for me anyway, not at all as interesting as its differences from them. But, you're right, they are all similar in a rudimentary way. I think that lumping them all together dismisses the distinctions between them rather than clarifying how each might be personally useful in its own way. Imo. Of course, every one else will have to make up their own minds:)
Thanks, I'm still not aware of the differences but will do some digging as I'm in the market for this type of plugin. I didn't mean to sound like a cynic, I'm all for more choice.
Signatures are so early 2000s.

Kongru wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:15 am
David wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:44 am My point is simply that Unify's similarities to Freestyle, Patchwork, Metaplugin, etc. are, for me anyway, not at all as interesting as its differences from them. But, you're right, they are all similar in a rudimentary way. I think that lumping them all together dismisses the distinctions between them rather than clarifying how each might be personally useful in its own way. Imo. Of course, every one else will have to make up their own minds:)
Thanks, I'm still not aware of the differences but will do some digging as I'm in the market for this type of plugin. I didn't mean to sound like a cynic, I'm all for more choice.
:tu:

Everything should soon be well explained by John once it's ready for "the public":)

I should add that because of how much I'm personally enjoying Unify, it's inspiring me to go back and take a closer look at other devices in the same broad category, and at Patchwork in particular, since I already own it!

Mux looks particularly intriguing. And not too expensive.
But I already have Bidule, too, so I wonder if Mux would be redundant…altho if easier to figure out, maybe! Bidule does work great for quite simple things, such as adding audio options to Logic's MIDI FX rack (for envelop following), which Patchwork can't do. Anybody know if there's an AU MIDI FX version of Mux?

Freestyle, also, but it seems you can't really get the most from it without also having his other products, so that becomes quite an investment…

Just had this Unify experience and HAD to share it. Two of the slowest loading plugins in Logic for me are Omnisphere 2.6 and ESPECIALLY Ample's Martin full version. I'd made a Unify preset with them both yesterday, and just loaded it up fresh this AM, from a cold start in Logic. Watch how quickly the patch loads and is playable (the Omni patch is a sample):

Voodoo? Who do? Who cares:)

I LOVE the Ample one, but until I got Unify, it was ALWAYS a train wreck to load and play smoothly in Logic on its own, btw.

EDIT: Just tried my MOST slow to load plugin—Kontakt. Loaded a patch (i.e., not just Kontakt, but also a 3rd-party library, and a preset within it) in under 5 sec.
Last edited by David on Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thank you David for your observations here at KVR on Unify. Looking forward to its' launch.

Much appreciated ! :tu: :tu:

Reminds me of VIP in a way.

Hello David !
:)
David wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:37 pm Mux looks particularly intriguing. And not too expensive.
But I already have Bidule, too, so I wonder if Mux would be redundant…altho if easier to figure out, maybe! Bidule does work great for quite simple things, such as adding audio options to Logic's MIDI FX rack (for envelop following), which Patchwork can't do. Anybody know if there's an AU MIDI FX version of Mux?
I'm afraid it's only VST.

And I have not yet read anywhere that Jo is working on an AU edition. But probably that he would kindly reply to you himself if you ask him directly at his email address (infodesk at mutools dot com).
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

I'm afraid it's only VST.
Thanks… Both Bidule and Patchwork can host VSTs inside Logic. As can Unify:)

Yes. There are qualities in them all which are not found in others.

A I wrote in another post at the beginning of the page 2 of this present thread :

Actually, both are complementary. Unify has many features which are not in MUX (and it is understandable) and MUX has many features (I really love its extreme flexibility and its totally modular environment) which are not in Unify (and it is understandable as well).

For me they don't compete each other... but they in fact are complementary.

I think I'll use both in an equal balance.
I think that they have each one enough qualities not found in the other one to make me purchase Unify even using already MUX for years.
:D
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

Hi, just wanted to very quickly to add that the cool thing about MUX is not actually the hosting but that you can make your own instruments and effects with it. With MUX 8, released just a few weeks back, one has much better control than previously over the UI (knobs and sliders etc). I just really wished there'd be a VSTi export functionality (as there is in BlueCat's stuff). Then MUX would be today's SynthMaker and SynthEdit, and lots more would buy it!

But back to Unify: I'm not sure how needed it is, but it looks very cool and it's interesting to hear about the huge speed improvements. Some really good multi-core coding behind the scenes perhaps? Or CUDA coding? :?

Hope it'll be released soon! :tu: :phones:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

I replied to another thread here about Unify but I'll summarize again, I was very selfish and designed Unify to my demanding specifications as a voicing tool to make and sell the libraries that I create. I am blessed to be working with a very talented programmer named Shane Dunne who has been able to realize my design and everything I throw at the project into beautiful code!

Unify can:

• Load any plug-in format (AU (Mac), VST, VST3) into Unify standalone, VST, VST3 or Audio Unit

• Velocity layer or split an unlimited # of plug-ins (each layer grabs 1 processor thread in your computer so we're not jamming a ton of demands on a single processor) and then add as many audio effects to the insert effect chains (per layer), the 4 discreet AUX busses + Master Effects.

• Can make custom "subsets" of your plug-ins so you can see all the delays or reverb or wavetable synths or retro synths or newest synths or favorites that you own for easier access (I look at my audio effect list, organized by company and my head hurts when I try to remember which companies have a delay plug-in - this solves that challenge nicely!)

• Unify has 8 realtime knobs that can modulate every parameter in a patch (i.e. every paramter in all loaded plug-ins + the mixer)

•Multi-Thread aware and loads Patches as others have mentioned quite fast!

• License based super high level copy protection for selling the libraries we (or other 3rd party programmers) make - I believe this is a first for 3rd party plug-ins for other companies instruments.

• AND we're planning to add more features, effects and plug-ins we develop to Unify over time makes this a fun adventure I hope others want to join us on.

Plus making libraries for Omnisphere or Serum or Pigments 2, or Omnisphere + Pigments 2 (or whatever combo I or someone else wants to create) that also use 40+ audio effects and 7 synths
wtih 2.5GB of my samples that are included with Unify will make for patches unique to what you can do with just a single plug-in instrument.

We are now planning to release in early January 2020. We can't wait to share this with all of you.

Happy Holidays + Blessed New Year wishes to all.
• Sound Designer / Programmer for Korg Synthesizers
• Custom Sounds 4 Sale (Massive, FM8, Stylus RMX) and Free Video Tutorials PlugInGuru.com.

How customisable will this be in terms of included content? For instance, if I'm only interested in having it contain/show my own patches/multis, is it possible to remove the rest of the content?

Also, will it be an always-online, shop-like experience, or will users be able to operate it as a closed-system?

HeyJohn ! Take the time of a pause at Christmas !
:party:

My best thoughts !
:hug:
Jacques

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:11 am How customisable will this be in terms of included content? For instance, if I'm only interested in having it contain/show my own patches/multis, is it possible to remove the rest of the content?

Also, will it be an always-online, shop-like experience, or will users be able to operate it as a closed-system?

From what I understand, the pro version, that will be available later, will allow you to create your own sampled content. As for removing the factory content, I have no idea.

What does this do for me that I can't already do with my DAW's racking / stacking features? Not seeing the point so far...

Return to “Instruments”