Unify by PluginGuru; The next big thing?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRian
734 posts since 8 Oct, 2019

Post Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:13 am

In the Facebook group there is a lot of talk about a big reveal during a Saturday live stream for v 1.4. Apparently it's going to be like walking into several candy stores. Very intriguing.

User avatar
KVRAF
6845 posts since 30 Apr, 2019

Post Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:04 am

gondii wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:13 am
In the Facebook group there is a lot of talk about a big reveal during a Saturday live stream for v 1.4. Apparently it's going to be like walking into several candy stores. Very intriguing.
My understanding is that Skippy is going to reveal himself as the engineer, Reed Richards

KVRAF
3314 posts since 2 Jul, 2005

Post Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:10 am

How deep do the midi effects go? I can see using this for auto divisi for strings and other instruments as well as some smart midi randomization. I can't seem to find much about the midi processing outside of very simple "change this cc to this other parameter" or "keep all these notes constrained to this scale type stuff". Is there documentation for the midi processing onboard? I'd ideally like to be able to do things as deep as kontakt's multiscripts.

Anyone got an idea of how much this can do?

Thanks,
JJ
Last edited by Ah_Dziz on Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

KVRist

Topic Starter

290 posts since 30 Nov, 2007

Post Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:13 am

Ah_Dziz wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:10 am
How deep do the midi effects go? I can see using this for auto divisi for strings and other instruments as well as some smart midi randomization. I can't seem to find much about the midi processing outside of very simple "change this cc to this other parameter" or keep all these notes constrained to this scale type stuff". Is there documentation for the midi processing onboard? I'd ideally like to be able to do things as deep as kontakt's multiscripts.

Anyone got an idea of how much this can do?

Thanks,
JJ
You should go and ask the question at their forum:

https://forums.pluginguru.com/

KVRist
199 posts since 7 Dec, 2017

Post Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:52 am

WatchTheGuitar wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:18 am
seangm wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:21 am
I own the current Unify version but I didn't realize there was a "Pro" version coming, is there a writeup somewhere that says what the "Pro" version will include? Thanks
It’s not definitely coming and not any time soon is what they’ve said just about every time it has come up.
Ok thanks, I wasn't even aware there was supposed to be one.

User avatar
KVRist
223 posts since 9 Mar, 2017

Post Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:30 pm

dstep404 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:15 pm
Pro version? NKS? Is there a roadmap available somewhere.
There's no "roadmap". We're still too small to have such grandiose plans.

Lately we're thinking our early ideas for a "Pro" version of Unify might more practically be added over time, in a series of major version updates. There might never be a distinct "Unify Pro" product.

I looked into NKS, and it seems like a lot of work for little gain. But perhaps I'm missing something? I'd be very happy to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

User avatar
KVRist
223 posts since 9 Mar, 2017

Post Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:35 pm

Ah_Dziz wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:10 am
How deep do the midi effects go?
Check this page in the Unify manual, in particular under "MIDI Effects".

Note Unify can load any third-party MIDI-effect plug-in. Many users are having good results with plug-ins like Scaler 2 in Unify.

You mentioned Kontakt scripting. You might want to have a look at Lua Protoplug, which allows you to write scripts for MIDI and even audio processing using the Lua language.

KVRian
734 posts since 8 Oct, 2019

Post Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:01 pm

getdunne wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:30 pm
I looked into NKS, and it seems like a lot of work for little gain. But perhaps I'm missing something? I'd be very happy to hear everyone's thoughts on this.
Tbh I think most of what's useful with NKS can be achieved by users and shared. Creating the files for the user library is not that hard and it works well enough, I'm happy to do that, too. The only annoying thing is converting the presets into NKS format. There is a workaround: Preset Magician lets you load presets, apply NKS mapping via a template plus audio preview and then convert them in bulk. And in the end, loading the presets is a big part of the point of having unify "NKS ready".

I checked and Unify isn't supported by Preset Magician (shows up with "zero" presets, which is true for a lot, but not all plugins). If this is easy to do, maybe it would be possible to look into what it takes for Unify to be supported and then users can do as they please.

KVRist
69 posts since 3 Jul, 2010 from the A

Post Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:13 pm

getdunne wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:30 pm
dstep404 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:15 pm
Pro version? NKS? Is there a roadmap available somewhere.
There's no "roadmap". We're still too small to have such grandiose plans.

Lately we're thinking our early ideas for a "Pro" version of Unify might more practically be added over time, in a series of major version updates. There might never be a distinct "Unify Pro" product.

I looked into NKS, and it seems like a lot of work for little gain. But perhaps I'm missing something? I'd be very happy to hear everyone's thoughts on this.
I’m happy with as is so far, but NKS is huge for me because I can browse presets and make basic tweaks like I’m using a hardware synth when on my KK keyboard. I’ve recently transitioned from a hardware set up, so maybe this is more a personal thing than something most want. I hate browsing sounds on the computer.

User avatar
KVRist
38 posts since 30 Apr, 2002 from Portland, Oregon USA

Post Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:17 pm

I will shed a little light on why I'm excited for update 1.4 of Unify - there is something I've wanted in GuruSampler since the early days of development that is now implemented and working. It might not be a giant change to everybody, but it is something super cool that I've waited for a long time so see added (and it's better than I could have hoped!)

I can't wait to show you all what has me excited like a kid in a candy store. See you on Saturday.

WOOt!! :D
• Sound Designer / Programmer for Korg Synthesizers
• Custom Sounds 4 Sale (Massive, FM8, Stylus RMX) and Free Video Tutorials PlugInGuru.com.

KVRAF
2462 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Post Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:36 pm

getdunne wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:30 pm

I looked into NKS, and it seems like a lot of work for little gain. But perhaps I'm missing something? I'd be very happy to hear everyone's thoughts on this.
Just thinking out loud here, but since Unify can already load an instance of Komplete Kontrol as a plugin layer, which can then host NKS plugins, presets, and previews available in the KK plugin GUI, does it really need to be "Unified"?

Or was the question related to making the Unify plugin appear elsewhere as fully NKS compatible?
Windows10; plugins from AAS, Ableton, AIR, Ample, Arturia, Cakewalk, Cherry, DiscoDSP, Fathom, IKM, Initial, iZotope, KV331, NI, PluginGuru, PreSonus, Surge, TAL, Tone2, Toontrack, Tracktion, u-he, UJAM, UVI, Vital, Waves, XLN ...

KVRAF
3314 posts since 2 Jul, 2005

Post Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:32 pm

I'm guessing people want all the "multi plugin/layered presets to show up as NKS ready in maschine and stuff. This isn't an issue for me since I like to know exactly what I'm loading up and maschine just loads whatever you pick based on tags. I can see big users of presets living something like this being fully NKS ready. That's lots of options with little thought (especially is they go to the trouble of making preview files for all the sounds). I couldn't see myself going to the trouble if I were a developer unless I was making enough to have someone else tag and sample all the library.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

KVRAF
3314 posts since 2 Jul, 2005

Post Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:54 pm

getdunne wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:35 pm
Ah_Dziz wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:10 am
How deep do the midi effects go?
Check this page in the Unify manual, in particular under "MIDI Effects".

Note Unify can load any third-party MIDI-effect plug-in. Many users are having good results with plug-ins like Scaler 2 in Unify.

You mentioned Kontakt scripting. You might want to have a look at Lua Protoplug, which allows you to write scripts for MIDI and even audio processing using the Lua language.
I was hoping for a bigger library of onboard midi fx. I have made most of the stuff I want already with various subhosts, reaktor, etc. I was hoping for something I could load all the samplemodeling horns into and add some scalable humanization and also have chords voiced to each individual sax when played. This is all possible with plug'n'script, reaktor, bidule, protoplug (I'm sure) and so on, but I was hoping for something that I could load multiple different Kontakt instruments, the swam stuff, ew play and so forth into and do these types of things as a recallable preset.
Being able to call up a jazz flute sax and muted trumpet from 3 different companies, and still add midi humanization in unison and semi intelligent voice allocation for chords in a click or two would be a game changer.
All the methods for this as of now are cumbersome to say the least. The best I have is a kontakt multiscripts (only good for Kontakt libraries) or a trainwreck of a bidule setup (which is the most functional, but the biggest pain to setup). It's not so much a technical challenge, but a problem of doing what I want in a way that speeds up my workflow.
I can just play all the parts in one at a time and do a bit of editing (which is what I do now) and have a "live" sounding section/ combo. I was just hoping that the midi effects in this were sort of a modular setup that I could incorporate into a preset and with standard things like randomizers and note routers on board.

This still seems like a great tool for keyboard players in a live environment, and for people who want to share complex presets between different platforms and hosts.

Peace,
JJ
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

User avatar
KVRAF
4447 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Post Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:37 pm

Ah_Dziz wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:54 pm
[snip...]
This still seems like a great tool for keyboard players in a live environment, and for people who want to share complex presets between different platforms and hosts.
Peace, JJ
It's also great for composition and production. In the symphonic "coda" of this track (starts at 5:40), I used Unify and the Discovery Unify library to literally play the entire orchestral track with two hands on a keyboard in one take!

https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/ex ... nism-music

KVRAF
3314 posts since 2 Jul, 2005

Post Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:31 pm

Cool track Plex.

I definitely see the usefulness of unity, but I've already got those kinds of things worked out over the years. The stuff I'm looking for is for streamlining things I do often that have no easy implementation. That being said, if I was ever going to make a commercial soundbank it would be with something like this. I'm keeping an eye on it (and things like it) for sure.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Return to “Instruments”