DrumComputer VST from Sugar Bytes - out now, EUR119!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DrumComputer

It looks amazing!

hello all, after a big post-release-nap, let me comment on some of your points:
-ipad app: might happen in the future, maybe next year
-fire and forget: I honestly think its not really true. we are coming up with updates for all products all the time. every i/os update requires updates from us, and whenever you find a bug, an update is not far away. true is that we do not implement new features that much, but that has to do with things too complicated to roll out now
-missing low end: first off, check the kickdrums in the davidF presets. They shook my house. Fun fact: I was rather worried about the hi end.
I feel the need for a dedicated kick drum tutorial, as its not about sonic weakness of the instrument, but rather what you throw at it. study the davidF kicks, mostly the resonator is used for a deep and punchy kick, while wt and resynth bring the grit and air.
use the peak filter to boost low end even more. short-enveloped fm- or wt-wave mods can bring more punch.
partials should be left to snares and bongos, and partials off makes a cleaner sub.
use a very short decay (and use that also as pitchmodulator) in the resonator, as Resonance controls the sine decay, 50% should be the sweetspot for kicks.
use distortion for more level and grunt :)
so far, have fun exploring DrumComputer!
rico

mladi wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:48 pm Regarding upgrade prices: I have 12 plugins and doesn't matter if logged in or not the bundle is 499€ and the drumplugin 119€. So i would pay 499€ for 3 additional plugins. :lol:
Hi mladi, please write me a PM or directly to support[@]sugar-bytes.de and let me know your registered email address to check what's going wrong with your bundle upgrade offer and to get back to you. Best, Nadine

Hey Rico/SBs,

Hope you had a good rest!

———-

“ipad app: might happen in the future, maybe next year”

“might” & “maybe” hmmm..

Not sure how you develop your apps, but I would assume they would be (at least considered) cross platform from the get go (during coding) - considering it’s a new app, that most likely started developing ‘post’ iOS.

DC looks to be ‘the’ drum machine for me.
I felt a Love for it immediately, just from the vids.

Do we really need to get an iOS petition together, to show the need/want?

I was already checking the AppStore, until your response ^^ ... and also, almost wrote an email to SBs/Nadine, asking about iOS.

... Why would you tease us with such a great new app/software..

I have all the Sugar Bytes apps! Please make DrumComputer available for us too..

(... Drums and Bass (Cyclop) Mmmm...)

Cheers
King

P.S, Cheers you Guys for AUv3’ing’ Effectrix!

I Love Sugar Bytes Apps!

Anybody know whether the use of the module outputs as modulators is as full audio rate?
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Do I need it?
No.
Will I buy it?
No. :evil:

Sugar Bytes wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:31 pm
mladi wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:48 pm Regarding upgrade prices: I have 12 plugins and doesn't matter if logged in or not the bundle is 499€ and the drumplugin 119€. So i would pay 499€ for 3 additional plugins. :lol:
Hi mladi, please write me a PM or directly to support[@]sugar-bytes.de and let me know your registered email address to check what's going wrong with your bundle upgrade offer and to get back to you. Best, Nadine
Thank you very much for sorting it out. May of interest for others: Since i bought many of the plugins 2nd hand in the past the automatic upgrade offer doesn't worked as expected and had to be generated manually. Now all is fine! :tu: :hug:
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

I purchased BreakTweaker years ago but never used it for anything. I think I might actually use Drum Computer, if I were to purchase it.

Although it is a bit awkward, I configured Drum Computer to trigger my other Drum VSTs to play around with Drum Computer's sequencing engine. Here is the configuration I used:

Code: Select all

1 [red]     C0   kick
2 [orange]  D1   snare
3 [yellow]  F#1  closed hat
4 [cyan]    A#1  open hat
5 [green]   F1   low tom
6 [olive]   B1   mid tom
7 [apricot] D2   high tom
8 [brown]   C#2  crash
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

I'll keep demoing, but so far I don't like the sound at all, unfortunately. I love the sequencer though. The thing is that I probably just don't like modern drum synthesis. I do love the sounds of the analog drum computers of the 80's and I'm somehow missing that punchiness (or weight, it's hard to describe) in modern drum vst's. I have the same problem with Xils Stix. Just never use it.

But maybe it will grow on me. Wouldn't be the first time that presets don't do a vst justice. This one definitely invites experimenting, with that nice interface.

Only one thing missing from this: individual swing per track. A couple extra pattern directions/variations could be useful too. Otherwise this thing is PERFECT.

Sugar Bytes wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:28 pm -missing low end: first off, check the kickdrums in the davidF presets. They shook my house. Fun fact: I was rather worried about the hi end.
I feel the need for a dedicated kick drum tutorial, as its not about sonic weakness of the instrument, but rather what you throw at it. study the davidF kicks, mostly the resonator is used for a deep and punchy kick, while wt and resynth bring the grit and air.
use the peak filter to boost low end even more. short-enveloped fm- or wt-wave mods can bring more punch.
partials should be left to snares and bongos, and partials off makes a cleaner sub.
use a very short decay (and use that also as pitchmodulator) in the resonator, as Resonance controls the sine decay, 50% should be the sweetspot for kicks.
use distortion for more level and grunt :)
so far, have fun exploring DrumComputer!
rico
I spent a lot of time playing with these suggestions. While it is possible to get low end, it isn’t easy to get a truly satisfying, filled-out low body to kicks. Something is wrong if it takes significant time and effort to coax standard 909 and 808 style kicks out of it. I would really urge you to reevaluate and compare the kicks to other popular drum synths and see if anything can be done to make this essential sound more easily accessible for the average user. Otherwise, it is likely to become the Achilles heel for an otherwise spectacular product. As it stands right now, I’m probably going to end up doubling or replacing my kicks with a different plugin, which is a pretty disappointing decision to have to make.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Exactly. I haven’t used Softube Heartbeat for quite some time (doesn’t have a sequencer), but I think that’s an example of drum synthesis done right. Sound wise. In my opinion of course. I realise it’s a matter of taste too.

For me DrumComputer is more like a percussive instrument for the midrange, bringing lively touches and variations. Try modulating the Remix parameter using the 'new and free' MCCGenerator.

Damn, Drumcomputer is KILLER. I'm very impressed. I especially like the smart randomization of drum parameters, which actually creates very usable drums. The remix options are also amazing -- it feels almost like cheating to turn on autofill and get results that sound like you did a bunch of microediting on the 4th, 8th, etc, bars... but I'm still gonna use the hell out of it, at least until the sound becomes widespread and recognisable. (I also love the ability to independently set sequence length and tempo per lane -- you can get some wild polyrhythms going that way.)

little known fact until now:
you can exchange wavetables between DrumComputer and Factory.
which also means that you can use DrumComputer as a wavetable maker for Factory :)

Return to “Instruments”