Korg releases Korg Triton VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
KORG Collection

You're not making sense.

I for one don't want to be Skrillex or Deadmau5 so right there that's "not everybody". :wink:
Last edited by Teksonik on Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:54 pm

Once again not everybody wants to be Skrillex or Deadmau5. :shrug:
:tu:

True..
I've rather enjoyed being me for 60 plus years... :D

toonertik wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:02 pm I've rather enjoyed being me for 60 plus years... :D
I think you might have hit the nail on the head. Those of us who lived through the majority of synthesis history probably see things differently than those who are new to synthesis.

Probably just a generation gap..... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:54 pmIf someone can't do something "fresh and musical" with these types of Workstations or Sample Based synths it's not the instrument's fault.
Very true - but for some of us it can be a huge challenge, especially if we're not into the whole programming side of things. Luckily, this plugin isn't too intimidating and it's fairly easy to start poking about and changing up those lovely presets (or making something entirely new). I've never much been into synth programming, except on a very basic level ('gimme a different arpeggio!'), so the Triton VST suits me. This is a 'player's soft synth' much more than a programmer's. It's basically a vast repository of top-notch sounds and inspirations. A doodler's dream.

In the end, these things are amazing and we get whatever we do out of them directly in proportion to how much we put in, creatively speaking.

Vortifex wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:40 pm
BlackWinny wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:15 pm It is totally mad to criticize a 80s/90s synth pointing that it "sounds dated". Do you guys really know what means "vintage" and what means "legacy" ???
IMO the reason for the 'dated' comments is that many (but definitely not all) of the sounds from digital synths like Triton, DX7, D50 and so on sound very much of their time and it's difficult to find a spot for them nowadays, whereas the sounds of subtractive analog synthesis are timeless and easier to apply in modern productions. Tangerine Dream embraced digital and subsequently pretty much everything after their Underwater Sunlight album was an abomination (although losing Franke and Schmoelling didn't help).

That said, the Wavestation and M1 get lots of use from me, and thanks to vaporwave there is something of a revival of the 90s/2000 sound.
I can understand the passion too, but I'm not sure the premise behind the sentiment is valid.
People like to believe that the music is purely a result of the musician imposing their will and creative genius on instruments.....I think its our own narcissism that makes people forget how much its a two way street....imagine what R&B would have evolved to sound like without the rhodes, wurli, clavi, and hammond.....Imagine what Prince might have sounded like if every synth maker wasn't giving him prototypes and begging him to play with them,.....imagine hip hop without the Technics 1200 and boom bap without the SP1200.....imagine D&B and Jungle without the tracker.....imagine crunk and trap without the MPC....have you ever seen a drummer play demisemihemidemisemiquaver hi hats?...of course not, but the mpc allowed pressure note repeat......music has always been steered and shaped by the abilities and limitations of the instruments available and the ways they force you to interact with them.....as instruments come on the scene, the ways in which we interact with them begins to homogenize, and their use proliferates......since these processes and resulting music are coupled to periods of time, I think it is totally reasonable for certain sounds and motifs to become "dated"
However one mans dated is another mans classic.....what separates the two?....and what causes one to transition from dated to classic?....."Dated" vs "classic" seems largely in the eye of the beholder....for me personally, it prolly is closely related to ear fatigue, visceral reactions, and emotional connections to sounds.
It is funny though that since I came on kvr in like 2004, there have been a million threads on how to get the equivalent of a top keyboard workstation in software, and now that there is one,....people are all like....meh... lol
Last edited by bermudagold on Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

Teksonik wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:01 pm You're not making sense.

I for one don't want to be Skrillex or Deadmau5 so right there that's "not everybody". :wink:
I was kidding. Those guys are kinda old fashioned now.

Look here.
Tritons can do the Kvr readers favorite music too :lol:
https://youtu.be/4xM5caiANrU

Teksonik wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:05 pm
toonertik wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:02 pm I've rather enjoyed being me for 60 plus years... :D
I think you might have hit the nail on the head. Those of us who lived through the majority of synthesis history probably see things differently than those who are new to synthesis.

Probably just a generation gap..... :shrug:
Oh yes....
Same kinda deal when I see discussions on valve and tape gear.

I love tape and valves and even have an old valve tape recorder and mic ... but OMG..
we can do so much more now.

Mind you...

I have regressed into modular... :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Arp_ wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:14 amI don’t care that they marketed it as a workstation, it’s best practical use is a synthesizer.
That makes for a very expensive synth. My Trinity cost me well over five grand new, Tritons were even more expensive. People who weren't interested in the workstation aspect of it bought Z1s instead.
For example, Minimoog preset books had sounds like “flute” or “violin” etc, but would you really get it to record a flute part?
That would depend on what I was trying to achieve. I'm sure a lot of people here with massive sample libraries would tell you that Triton is just as bad at it as a Minimoog.
BlackWinny wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:15 pmWhy so many people expect 80s/90s synths to provide sounds of 2010/2020's synths ?
I dunno, maybe because most of the sounds of the last decade have been made with emulations of synths from the 1970s and '80s? My microX certainly didn't sound dated in 2010 so I don't see that the argument is valid, either way.
Do you criticize a Rhodes or Wurlitzer piano because "it sounds dated" ?
Of course, at every opportunity. Horrible things.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

vurt wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:08 pm
pluton wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:00 pm Triton was very popular workstation in 2000's where I live

otkritoenebo1.jpg
dobrayavest1.jpg
lucky you.
here in 2020 it's all gone tits up. wish i still lived in the 2000s.
many albums I know were produced with trinity and triton

My favorite KORGs were 01/W and Trinity Plus.
Trinity Plus has really nice mandolin tremolo patch and very nice “air works” patch from bank S (taken from Korg Prophecy, since trinity’s bank S is prophecy pretty much).

Korg Trinity, 01/W and Triton will be legends.

They are like strat, tele and lespaul of workstation synths

Yup. I have always been a Korg guy myself. My first was the Poly800. I had M1, X3, Trinity, 01/W, Triton Extreme, and now Kronos. The workstations remain some of the best ever.

I like Triton as a VST.

I think most of the hate is about the price. If the Triton VST was $49 it would be a love fest in here. Personally I'm happy to pay $199 if it keeps Korg from running a ripoff scheme like the Roland Cloud. Also, considering that it comes with every expansion ever, and there really isn't a similar VST out there, it's well worth the asking price.

robotmonkey wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:43 pm TD made some fantastic albums from second half of 90's onward. Tyranny of Beauty, Transiberia, Mars Polaris, Seven Letters From Tibet, Inferno and several others were all great albums.

Actually 90's was pretty much the pinnacle of innovative sound. Many of the sonically most innovative albums made at that time are still unmatched these days. There's literally nothing these days that comes even close to sonic innovation of 90's music form artist such as Jon Hassell, Brian Eno, Russell Mills, Paul Haslinger, Bill Laswell, Paul Schütze, Michael Brook and most stuff to come out from Real World Records at the time. All featuring heavily digital gear from EMU, Kurzweil, Korg and Roland. Despite having so much technical possibilities popular music (outside the revived prog rock genre) has never sounded more bland, boring and stereotypical. All of that wobbling EDM is pure garbage. Even the 80's, which had very stereotypical sound defined by certain technology, weren't that bad.

Same goes for the so called "cinematic" scores - it's rare these days to find a soundtrack in a movie that would make you want to check it out for listening after the movie. Again, compared to 80's and 90's which had plenty of unforgettably unique and innovative soundtracks, majority of the "cinematic socres" are bland cookie cutter crap.
I can't agree more.
also, for 90s innovative music - for Tangerine Dream fans, Christopher Franke's solo work on the Babylon 5 soundtrack is a must hear. There are two very good compilations of his work there.

In the meantime let me add a strange triton demo-related comment:
i installed the demo once, than uninstalled it and uninstalled korg software pass too. later I decided to try again, so installed korg software pass again, but this time it shows triton installed so don't let me download the demo installer. Anyone have similar experience/ know the solution to this?

Return to “Instruments”