Arturia Pigments 2 (Free Update): Now it's Granular

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Sinisterbr
KVRist
299 posts since 11 Mar, 2010

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:43 pm

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:39 pm
Nice move by Arturia. They are doing all the right things. Nice free update with granular, even adding mpe. It’s funny when you compare them to NI, both of whom have been around quite a while. Arturia updated their old GUIs. The GUIs even work flawlessly in touch screens and now they are adding mpe. They are keeping up with technology. The pace of their development is killing NI. Honestly I just wish I liked the Arturia sound more. I tend to find it all a bit dull and smeary, as pigments was described earlier.
Agreed, with everything. And I'm kinda curious about how NI will react.

telecode
KVRAF
1547 posts since 24 Mar, 2015 from Toronto, Canada

Re: Arturia Pigments 2 (Free Update): Now it's Granular

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:45 pm

Sinisterbr wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:43 pm
Nice move by Arturia. They are doing all the right things. Nice free update with granular, even adding mpe. It’s funny when you compare them to NI, both of whom have been around quite a while. Arturia updated their old GUIs. The GUIs even work flawlessly in touch screens and now they are adding mpe. They are keeping up with technology. The pace of their development is killing NI. Honestly I just wish I liked the Arturia sound more. I tend to find it all a bit dull and smeary, as pigments was described earlier.
Agreed, with everything. And I'm kinda curious about how NI will react.
They will give you a free update to Massive X 2.02

👍

Stefken
KVRAF
1858 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:14 pm

Yes Arturia has steadily been going forward, keeping up with technology and being very gracious towards customers, existing and new alike.

The Arturia softsynths do benefit from some post processing imo. I have a custom Ableton rack I use to give it some extra oumph and sparkle.

machinesworking
KVRAF
2067 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:04 pm

I don't really see the point or the comparison between Massive X and Pigments? People buy and use multiple synths because they all have strong and weak points. Massive v1 was lauded when it came out, I thought it sounded pretty good, but I never got the buzz. I mean so did and do a lot of other synths? never felt the need to go online and dis on it though.

Milimart22
KVRer
6 posts since 13 Dec, 2019

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:09 pm

Amazing free update, cheers Arturia

telecode
KVRAF
1547 posts since 24 Mar, 2015 from Toronto, Canada

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:24 pm

machinesworking wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:04 pm
I don't really see the point or the comparison between Massive X and Pigments? People buy and use multiple synths because they all have strong and weak points. Massive v1 was lauded when it came out, I thought it sounded pretty good, but I never got the buzz. I mean so did and do a lot of other synths? never felt the need to go online and dis on it though.
yup. that true. sounds better or worse is very subjective. but when comparing UX and usability, there can be better and worse. That Massive X interface -- not good IMO.

jarnold
KVRist
134 posts since 28 Feb, 2005 from Oz

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:07 pm

Pigments:
Sound 7
UI 9

Massive X:
Sound 10
UI 1

The question is does V2 get closer with the granular engine.. If it does then I'll be all over it. Installing demo...
MacPro 6,1 // Bitwig 3 // Reason 10 // Logic X // Soundtoys // UAD // FabFilter // Vintage Hardware

krabbencutter
KVRian
559 posts since 12 Jul, 2013

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:11 pm

dumbledog wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:53 am
The problem with Pigments is that it has this sort of aquamarine sound, if you know what I mean. Turn the modulations up and you'll get this distinctive oyster tone that has this sort of gaseous iodine feeling.

I just don't know how to get that, you know, "hyperbolic arctangent" vibe when the filter goes from nicotine-esque to utter pancreatitis with just a little throw of the knob.
well played :D :D
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

SeeingInMidi
KVRist
385 posts since 2 Aug, 2013

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:12 pm

How does patch saving work? Are the samples/wavetables imbedded into the preset? Or if i send over someone a preset, i also have to send them the wavetable/preset?

shine_uno
KVRer
1 posts since 25 Jul, 2019

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:14 pm

just got a ad that i can purchase pigments 2 for 50 ? its that right?

LoveEnigma18
KVRAF
1500 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:53 pm

shine_uno wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:14 pm
just got a ad that i can purchase pigments 2 for 50 ? its that right?
Arturia ads will often show the least amount, so log in to your account and check. If you have V Collection 7, $49 sounds correct.

Hanz Meyzer
KVRian
1462 posts since 20 Oct, 2014

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:56 pm

How is the cpu usage, was it improved in V2? Some test videos showed it is quite "ridiculously" high... Esp. interesting in combination with new MPE feature. Also I seem not to be able to find a video with impressive demo sounds. Are the factory presets maybe a bit weak or so?

LoveEnigma18
KVRAF
1500 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Post Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:37 am

Hanz Meyzer wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:56 pm
Also I seem not to be able to find a video with impressive demo sounds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0g83Aqd7Fs

Hanz Meyzer
KVRian
1462 posts since 20 Oct, 2014

Post Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:18 am

Uhm, yeah I saw this one... Thanks anyway.

Buckster
KVRist
122 posts since 27 Nov, 2016

Post Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:40 am

Have to say the routing is fantastic especially useful as bought an expression pedal yesterday :) and pigments is very easy to make.a good patch

More impressed today after making my own pad sounds good just not quite sounding "alive" to me yet futrher experimentaion required I probably will buy at current price as very good value and good fun to play with

patches sound really good but some synths to me sound exciting, dynamic like a real instrument - Zebra and Massive X are the two that have fallen into that category for me in the sense you can push the boundaries and the sound gets more and more complex and exciting and you think how's a synth making this noise ? Vs a sorta mushy sound if you push too hard that you get with some synths

Not sure which category this one fits in yet

Return to “Instruments”