Arturia Pigments 2 (Free Update): Now it's Granular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pigments 5

Razzia wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:09 pm ..., but I think it’s a very good synth...
Just to clarify - yes i still think that too, i quite impressed by his various other (digital) moments like i already said. Although, I must admit, at its initial stage it seemed to me completely neither carrying anything new. But nonetheless here is something to delve into.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:15 pm
machinesworking wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:03 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:35 pm
machinesworking wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:43 am I give U-He mass credit for not doing specific emulations, saves them the scrutiny and failed expectations.
Huh?

RePro-1? RePro-5? Not only are those specific emulations there were no failed expectations around the accuracy. In fact, when I'd see comparison videos to the originals I was MORE impressed.
U-He don't brand RePro-1 and 5 as absolute emulations the way that Arturia do though. I agree that U-He get closer to an analog sound for sure, but they always qualify it by saying they're trying to get the sound or vibe etc., not the exact sound etc. Look at Repro-1, the FX like Jaws didn't exist when the Pro-1 came out. It's much smarter than Arturia's marketing. To Arturias credit they did a pretty good job with the Matrix 12, SEM, Synclavier etc. their later stuff for the most part is better, but they fall flat by claiming exact emulation, when I can turn on the Xpander here and clearly hear that the oscillators on the Matrix 12 are much more flat and in tune etc. I still have used the Matrix 12 in songs though, it's a good soft synth. and the Factory presets are dead on. :)
https://u-he.com/products/repro/

"Two classics, recreated."

"The plug-in is a component-level model of perhaps the most powerful-sounding monophonic keyboard ever built."

I can go through the manuals and pull out even more quotes, or pull up posts were Urs talks about how close theirs is to the original, or points out errors other people have made in comparisons.

I'm sorry, but there's really no difference between what U-he did with RePro-1/5 and what Arturia does. Other than U-he's actually sounding like an exacting copy of the hardware and Arturia not being quite as faithful. They both started with the OG synth, added some modern amenities like FX, more voices, and released the products as emulations of the original. U-he is my favorite plugin company, but you're basically saying "U-he doesn't do this" when they do, and they're way different in Arturia when they're not.
Hmm? yeah I guess they've changed their advertising. Every other synth they make says it's a homage etc. IMO RePro-1 is good, even great, but to me anyway, all emulations are kind of silly. I like the RePro-1 better than the Pro One, because Jaws adds a ton to the sound to me.

I never think of analog emulations as being more than virtual analogs, so I'm never disappointed that an emulation isn't dead on. I've used U-He synths since Zebra 1 was in beta, even did some of the original patches for it. Own all U-He synths, I still use Arturia synths though, own all of them as well, and don't really see the point of comparing the two, even if Urs does. :shrug:

Lazarus451 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:05 pm I bought the 49€ crossgrade and received the key. After activating it, it still says that free to use 15 days and "Valid Until: 2020-01-01". Is this still the demo version and will it stop working after 15 days?
Hi,

can you PM me the email you are using for your Arturia account so I can investigate this?

Is there a way to turn off the effects globally? Am I forced to click multiple times to get rid of it all? I seriously don’t understand why a majority of synths doesn’t have this basic feature? I want to listen to the synth and not the effects when browsing through presets.

U-he has this thing on lock. Click off the effects with one simple button.

CausticPuppy wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:57 pm
fdco wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:15 pm Sorry if this has been asked before…
Somebody knows where is the pigments User presets location on OSX ?
I tried the usual suspects to no avail.
I don't know WHY arturia doesn't put presets in the same "presets" folder as my other plugins, but Pigments is here:

/Library/Arturia/Presets/Pigments/User/User/

Yes, "user" is in there twice.
Thank you so much, this is it.

it's a little bit strange that user presets be stored at the root level but…
so be it!

---
Last edited by LoveEnigma18 on Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin [Arturia] wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:40 am
Lazarus451 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:05 pm I bought the 49€ crossgrade and received the key. After activating it, it still says that free to use 15 days and "Valid Until: 2020-01-01". Is this still the demo version and will it stop working after 15 days?
Hi,

can you PM me the email you are using for your Arturia account so I can investigate this?
I just did. Thanks

I hope there will be an update soon to add NKS for the new 2.0 presets.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:42 pm This thing is a psy monster:

https://soundcloud.com/mushy-mushy/pig-munted/s-VR1A9
I'm not a huge psy fan, but there's some farkin evil acid techno further down your SC page :tu:

Is the 303 an emu? Hard to tell with the subtle saturation... :D

neverbeeninariot wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:05 pm

I'm not a huge psy fan, but there's some farkin evil acid techno further down your SC page :tu:

:D

Thanks man :tu:

The very early stuff was Phoscyon/ABL but that was only a couple tracks. The ones in the middle and the majority were the TT303, and the latest ones were the RE303. All of which were either run through a distortion pedal or overdriven on the desk.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:20 pm
neverbeeninariot wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:05 pm

:D

Thanks man :tu:

The very early stuff was Phoscyon/ABL but that was only a couple tracks. The ones in the middle and the majority were the TT303, and the latest ones were the RE303. All of which were either run through a distortion pedal or overdriven on the desk.
Thanks for the info - the RE303 looks like a cool project :)

Back in the day, circa 1997, I was in a acid-tech duo, provisionally called Techno Pope. We never actually finished any tunes, primarily due to being too monged to progress past an endless stream of mindless knob twiddling. I now feel strangely compelled to put the band back together and and get on the trumpet again ;)
</offtopic>

neverbeeninariot would like to apologize to readers for the temporary loss of topic. We now return you to your regularly scheduled KVR thread.

Is there a way to change the default patch ? I'd like to have the most basic patch when I load the VST.

sinemotor wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:24 pm Is there a way to change the default patch ? I'd like to have the most basic patch when I load the VST.
All Types (top leftish) > Template > Default (or any other from the list)

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:36 pm All Types (top leftish) > Template > Default (or any other from the list)
Yes, I would like to have this preset by default. Every time I load a new instance of the synth, it's the "Reverse Box" patch...

sinemotor wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:45 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:36 pm All Types (top leftish) > Template > Default (or any other from the list)
Yes, I would like to have this preset by default. Every time I load a new instance of the synth, it's the "Reverse Box" patch...
I think it remembers the last preset you loaded when in standalone mode only. In VST mode, it does seem to always load with Synthwave Reverses. I don't think there is an option to change that, but I find it I will let you know.

As a side comment, Synthwave Reverses is what sold me on Pigments. Probably my favourite preset, Reverse Box from Pigments 2 being the second favourite. :)

Return to “Instruments”