Arturia Pigments 2 (Free Update): Now it's Granular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pigments 5

BONES wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:27 pm
tony10000 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:39 am They sound OK, but are
It sounds to me like you are simply equating the number of effects with the quality on offer, which is a stupid thing to do. As I said, DUNE is way over-the-top when it comes to effects. It's ridiculous and it gets in the way of working. Still, I don't find the effects in Pigments to be of any lesser quality or usefulness and they don't' get in the way like DUNE's can.
One person's "over the top" is another person's "really versatile". I believe that effects are an integral part of the sound.

As far as sound quality, I feel that Dune's are far better. Pigments are "meh" IMHO. YMMV.

Igro wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:29 pm Pigments has two chains, each with 3 effects. So you can have 6 effects in serial mode. Is that not enough? I mean, if you want to have effects overhaul, then your DAW can do this..

I would rather have more advanced routing options, such as fully independent APM Envelopes and the ability to bypass effect section for particular oscillators.
They just haven't impressed me yet. Maybe they will win me over at some point. I'm just not there yet.

The ARE issues with Pigments sound quality and I hope Arturia will address that in the next updates.

Igro wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:49 pm The ARE issues with Pigments sound quality and I hope Arturia will address that in the next updates.
I think it starts with DSP and effects. They are generally critical to any synth's success these days.

Aloysius wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:30 pm GRRRRRRR! :lol:
:hihi:

seems that the way pigments (2) sounds is very subjective. i like the way it sounds, it has even a modular quality to it (even when i am not using my own samples, which are made from scratch, the ones i used where made in... cubase.. from a synth, and a stack of "sounddesign" plugins). to my ears. and problably; the music i make is also a factor, the sound of pigments sits well in my music, i can design sounds that are excellent (...) for my music.

well, another opinion.

a discussion seems to me, futile. to get a consensus, if you want to reach that.

the granular is a great extension. i have more granular synths (from "normal" to more extreme), but it woks for me in pigments 2. padshop 2 i use also for other purposes. or palindrome..

Igro wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:49 pm The ARE issues with Pigments sound quality and I hope Arturia will address that in the next updates.
Curious to know what you mean here.
I really love Pigments UI/UX but I personally don't think it sounds as good as u-he stuff or fxpansion stuff or synapse stuff etc....but taste is personal.

I think part of the issue for me is the Reverb but that is only part. I heard mention maybe it needs some oversampling options... maybe.

But I can't imagine a year in they would want to drastically change the sound of it. The sound is what it is and what will be imho.
rsp
sound sculptist

The fx are fine IMO. Fx in a VST synth are never a deal breaker for me as I have plenty of fx plugins.

zvenx wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:43 pm
I really love Pigments UI/UX but I personally don't think it sounds as good as u-he stuff or fxpansion stuff or synapse stuff etc....but taste is personal.

I think part of the issue for me is the Reverb but that is only part. I heard mention maybe it needs some oversampling options... maybe.

But I can't imagine a year in they would want to drastically change the sound of it. The sound is what it is and what will be imho.
rsp
+1
Best
YY

The effects implementation in Pigments is great.

But the quality, to me, is not as good as Massive X or dedicated processors. . And by that, I mean the way that the effects in Massive X seem to blend so well with the source, over a a wide wet/dry range with minimal or no EQing. At least the way I’m using them. I could make a similar argument for the the other effects as well, phaser, delay etc.

In Pigments - as in Hive 2, in my opinion - the effects still do not have this kind of integration with the source. However, I do believe that Pigments and Hive have better effects than Phase Plant and on par with Serum. That is my opinion, of course.

Now that isn’t to say the effects are “bad.” But in comparison to Massive X and other dedicated processors, I would say they could more seamlessly blend with the source.

And while I do love the filters in Massive X, I’m not sure I understand the criticism for the filters in Pigments. Like bones, I’m kind of blown away by the different available types.

Likewise, I really can’t knock the analog oscillators. Personally, I compared the basic waveforms with those from some other VA’s including some very hyped emulations as well as their equivalents in Massive X. They did sound good to me, and I preferred their sound in some cases. Granted I didn’t go crazy trying to test for aliasing.

To sum up, I think the only real weakness for me is the effects. The implementation is stellar. But bread and butter effects like reverb and delay could be better. I know Arturia can make better reverb and delays, and would like to see them in Pigments.

zvenx wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:43 pm

rsp
Unstable attack with the Matrix filter
https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=98545.0

Leaking envelopes:
https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=100638.0

Both are confirmed. But will the fixed it? Arturia has a support ticket system, but for some reason it's not a very effective way for bug fixing. They promise to do something, but it doesn't change anything.

Thanks
rsp
sound sculptist

Aloysius wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:03 am
nirm123 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:55 am
perpetual3 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:38 am
Aloysius wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:19 am
nirm123 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:40 am There is a clear tendency in this forum to prefer synths from small companies over the big corporate companies ones, I guess it should make one appear cool.
Forum members are people too.

Anyway ...

I listened to that last video demo and it reminded me of a time I purchased a decorative tourist Bodhrán and expected it to sound like the real thing. Judging by that video alone, I would conclude that the Emperor's New Clothes are non existent. I own a lot of Arturia gear so there's no need for anyone to make assumptions about my likes and dislikes based on a theory they just pulled out of their ass.
You used to be funny. What happened?
Really ??? hard to believe now that petty and tiring was once considered funny :dog:
I wonder will machinesworking view this as an ad hominum attack ...
Yeah, that's how ad hominem attacks work. Someone attacks your character instead of your ideas. Why is this so hard for some people?

add hominid.

Ad hominem

Ad= towards
Hominem = man (in accusative case because a word following "ad" must be in accusative case).

Return to “Instruments”