Current state of Cakewalk?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

glokraw wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:33 pm Not being a windows guy, and not being the
sharpest pencil in the can, I finally got Dimension Pro
running again by, simply by starting the standalone version
as administrator :dog: and it happily accepted
the reg code :hyper: :party:

(found the info when rumaging around
the cakewalk knowledge base, dibs on calling
RATKB :hihi:
:tu:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Been using Sonar from the time it was just Cakewalk. It had issues. I am used to fix them and now it has much less issues. Compared to Platinum, it has some weird enhancements I stumble on to. I can feel it is alive, changing and improving. For me it does everything I would ever need. I dont know where everybody went and why nobody talks about it. I have been using it all the time as my only DAW. I bought Cubase again, tried it for few days and went right back to Cakewalk. It works, It updates. It can do everything. It has the best plugin management. If you heavy on plugins, like software synths- it is awesome! I have over 1000 plugins installed, I can open 20 plugins and it has no issues. I never car about CPU hungry plugins issue because I dont have this problem. It can record software synth real time. Cubase can't. In cubase you have to Bounce/ Freeze. In Cakewalk you can arm record button and record audio from software synth- I never freeze now. I record audio and then leave it unfrozen so that I can use it later in the song. Love my cake and eat it too!

Cakewalk support got back to me regarding my old plugins,
they manually retrieved what they could, as I didn't have an
actual cakewalk account at the time things went belly up.
So I now have Dimension Pro 1.5, Rapture 1.2x, and Z3ta+ 1.5 in action. :hyper:
Hope they give Dimension Pro and 'old' Rapture some gui scaling, 64 bits,
and some sfz soundsets, would be a good paid upgrade, even if
the daw is free. Love the Z3ta+ effects plugin! Good to have a support crew
that swings into action so quickly!
Cheers

Ok, i'm impressed of the Cakewalk support too. :clap:

They are very good, indeed !

About other soundsets for Dimension Pro (and they all are also compatible with Rapture Pro) and soundsets for Z3TA+ 2, they almost all are available and sold by Digital Sound Factory, here:
Cakewalk Archives - Digital Sound Factory (and don't forget the page 2 of the list, which contains two last soundsets)

Note : in this long list, all the soundsets for Dimension Pro can even be bought by persons not having already Dimension Pro... because they all contain the totally free edition of Dimension: Dimension LE).
For those who don't know "Dimension LE", here are some videos.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

glokraw wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:42 am Cakewalk support got back to me regarding my old plugins,
they manually retrieved what they could, as I didn't have an
actual cakewalk account at the time things went belly up.
So I now have Dimension Pro 1.5, Rapture 1.2x, and Z3ta+ 1.5 in action. :hyper:
Hope they give Dimension Pro and 'old' Rapture some gui scaling, 64 bits,
and some sfz soundsets, would be a good paid upgrade, even if
the daw is free. Love the Z3ta+ effects plugin! Good to have a support crew
that swings into action so quickly!
Cheers
Great to hear of your success! It seems the new support team is really trying. :clap:

The amazing thing is that BandLab is really under no obligation to support legacy users or products, because Cakewalk as a company is legally dead. Gibson shut it down. BandLab did not buy the former business, just the software.

So BandLab is apparently just doing legacy support for goodwill moving forward,and seeing it as the right thing to do for the former loyal Cakewalk users that got screwed. :party:

Regarding Dimension Pro and the classic Rapture, they were already end of life and support long before Cakewalk shut down. Those products were merged into Rapture Pro which replaced them. If they re-release anything, it would most likely be that one. I missed the boat on that Rapture Pro as I was playing around with the demo when the shutdown happened. Would still like to get my hands on that one, but like you I have found that the others still work just fine!

Cheers!
Windows 10 and too many plugins

So I installed Cakewalk from Bandlab on this system and it seems to be working fine and the BL Assistant can be turned off so no running processes. I still have Sonar X3 installed on my studio computer so if I install CW Bandlab on it am I correct in saying that it will install alongside X3 and not overwrite it ?

Any issues with missing projects or templates or preset files ? I'll back up all my X3 content first just to be safe but I'd like to try CW Bandlab in the studio... :hyper:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:16 pm So I installed Cakewalk from Bandlab on this system and it seems to be working fine and the BL Assistant can be turned off so no running processes. I still have Sonar X3 installed on my studio computer so if I install CW Bandlab on it am I correct in saying that it will install alongside X3 and not overwrite it ?

Any issues with missing projects or templates or preset files ? I'll back up all my X3 content first just to be safe but I'd like to try CW Bandlab in the studio... :hyper:
You should be fine. The recommended install process is to install Sonar first if you have it, then install Cakewalk by BandLab alongside it.

The Cakewalk plugin scanner should pick up any existing Sonar plugins (plus any 3rd party) at that point.

Sonar and Cakewalk will use the same "Shared" folders under the main Cakewalk folder, so it wouldn't hurt to back them up first. Shouldn't be necessary, but just in case.

Sonar will remain untouched in its respective sub-folder, and Cakewalk by BandLab will be installed into its own "Cakewalk Core" sub-folder.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Cool, thanks for the help. I think I'll give it a go some time in the next few days. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I have Platinum installed as well as CBBL and I can open both and use both but dont need to touch Platinum. All old software synths still showing up and working.

current state of Cakewalk is excellent
my newest sounds:
https://soundcloud.com/the-das-kaput

Cakewalk by BandLab, Komplete 13, Maschine 2 (MKI & Jam), Fathom Synth, Guitars, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar, EXH Superego+ etc

Wow, this is encouraging news. I jumped off the Cakewalk ship at Sonar 7; maybe it's time to give it another chance.
A well-behaved signature.

Teksonik wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:21 pm What is the current state of Bandlab's version of Sonar ? Anybody using it ? Stable, still in development ?
I hadn't used Sonar for ages before Bandlab acquired it. Now that it's free, I have been playing around with it a bit. It's very actively developed, that's for sure. Stability seems really good. The interface is still the "good" old Cakewalk - dialogs and other bits looking like Windows 98. But it's free so can't complain much.

Definitely amazing that it's free.
No signature here!

I'm still running 3 Cakewalk plugins thru Command Center and it still works fine.
Is there any differences running Cakewalk plugins thru Bandlab ?
I have :
-Z3TA+ 2
-L-Phase Equalizer
-L-Phase Multiband
And does Bandlab requires internet connection enabled while using Bandlab plugins ?
Thanks

Teksonik wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:16 pm I still have Sonar X3 installed on my studio computer so if I install CW Bandlab on it am I correct in saying that it will install alongside X3 and not overwrite it ?
Correct, as mentioned, it installs as separate application and you can use both. If you keep X3 installed you should be able to use its 3rd party plugins in CbB.

Return to “Instruments”