Most essential VST plugins

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
BBFG#
KVRAF
5856 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Post Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:58 pm

Having been robbed of all my equipment four times (five if you count the robbery of my band space but had my equipment with me - still got the rest of my band-mates though.) And actually having had several guns pointed at me, sometimes to the head/temple...
I often think about these scenarios of having to start all over again.
Because I've had to do it more than once.
In thefts, nothing gets left. In f2f robberies, if they "give you an option", they're playing with you. Best to throw it all off as far as you can and run. I try to insure what I can and remember what's truly important.
More apt to put these scenarios into IRS/SFTB, bankruptcy or divorce decrees...
Not sure, but I don't think they can take your NFR licenses...
At least in bankruptcy. Doubtful that the tax agencies would want to bother. But in a divorce, they can assign value and make you pay half.

If I had to start over now...
I would start with HALion and Cubase.
However, if funds were limited, I might go for something free for the DAW, such as Mixbus or Bandlab.

And the very next things I would get after that would be Pianoteq and Nectar.
Truth be told, I would actually prefer Pianoteq first.
But necessity would probably dictate a "do it all" plugin. Which for me, is HALion.
And if by chance, they didn't get my dongle, I'd be good to go there.
Last edited by BBFG# on Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
2391 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Re: Most essential VST plugins

Post Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:58 pm

-Reaktor
-Zebra
-Talmod
-dexed
-Abl 3
-valhalla delay
-renoise
But if I had to choose only one it would be reaktor
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
9334 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:35 pm

BBFG# wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:58 pm
Having been robbed of all my equipment four times (five if you count the robbery of my band space but had my equipment with me - still got the rest of my band-mates though.) And actually having had several guns pointed at me, sometimes to the head/temple...
Holy Mother of Dog! Where the f**k do you live and why the f**k don't you move to somewhere nicer? I don't bother locking my place up, especially when I am in it (I figure fire is a more serious risk than burglary so I want people to be able to get in and wake me up) and I have only ever once had anything stolen (and that was from someone I let in). Of course, there aren't enough guns around where I live for anyone to be pointing one at me.

But it's an interesting scenario. If I had to start again, I'd go straight to Cubase with DUNE, Thorn and Aparillo, plus Substance, Novo Essentials (strings) and TRK-01, which would require the Kontakt and Reaktor players. I think I could probably rebuild any of our songs with those instruments and the stuff that comes with Cubase Pro. Later on, I'd probably want some guitar plugins again, VG-Carbon first, and then Equator (I'd have to buy another Seaboard). Honestly, that's everything I feel like I'd need, the rest is just gear-lust. If all my hardware got stolen, I'd only really want Uno back, I can happily live without the rest.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 17 (Core i7, 8GB RAM, Win10), UR44C, Cubase, DUNE, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Hive, Substance, Arcsyn, Aparillo, Phase Plant, Pigments, Trueno, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt, Craft 2.

BBFG#
KVRAF

Post Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:55 pm

BONES wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:35 pm
BBFG# wrote:
Holy Mother of Dog! Where the f**k do you live and why the f**k don't you move to somewhere nicer? I don't bother locking my place up, especially when I am in it (I figure fire is a more serious risk than burglary so I want people to be able to get in and wake me up) and I have only ever once had anything stolen (and that was from someone I let in). Of course, there aren't enough guns around where I live for anyone to be pointing one at me.

But it's an interesting scenario. If I had to start again, I'd go straight to Cubase with DUNE, Thorn and Aparillo, plus Substance, Novo Essentials (strings) and TRK-01, which would require the Kontakt and Reaktor players. I think I could probably rebuild any of our songs with those instruments and the stuff that comes with Cubase Pro. Later on, I'd probably want some guitar plugins again, VG-Carbon first, and then Equator (I'd have to buy another Seaboard). Honestly, that's everything I feel like I'd need, the rest is just gear-lust. If all my hardware got stolen, I'd only really want Uno back, I can happily live without the rest.
It's a West Coast thing I guess. I lived in four major cities of California. Two robberies happened with days of each other, thirty miles apart. (Both in Santa Clara county.)
Two others happened a decade later, with the one that took the band out in-between... all in San Bernardino county.) The worst part is not the equipment, but the tapes, data cards/disks and drives with all the work on them. When I say starting over, I mean it. With nothing more than a memory of the countless work done before.
As far as the guns, yes, it's been a strange life. Grew up with two major bike gangs within a half mile of me. And San Bernardino is also known for its high murder rate per capita as well as being "the birthplace of meth-labs".
Living in LA, my neighbors were literally red & blue. And I worked in the Rampart area during and in the middle of the police scandal there. Which was (hopefully) the last gun I'll have had held to my head.
I now live on a mountain in the middle of the desert. And our four seasons are considered to be wind, fire, rain & mudslides. We also get either blocked in or evacuated out on a semiregular basis. We are in discussion now what our next stage will be.
Part of that is changing how we approach music from this point on.
Which keeps me here.
All of this is good food for thought.

veranad
KVRer
11 posts since 28 Jul, 2019

Post Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:56 pm

BBFG# wrote:
I often think about these scenarios of having to start all over again.
Because I've had to do it more than once.
In thefts, nothing gets left. In f2f robberies, if they "give you an option", they're playing with you. Best to throw it all off as far as you can and run. I try to insure what I can and remember what's truly important.
More apt to put these scenarios into IRS/SFTB, bankruptcy or divorce decrees...
Not sure, but I don't think they can take your NFR licenses...
At least in bankruptcy. Doubtful that the tax agencies would want to bother. But in a divorce, they can assign value and make you pay half.

If I had to start over now...
I would start with HALion and Cubase.
However, if funds were limited, I might go for something free for the DAW, such as Mixbus or Bandlab.

And the very next things I would get after that would be Pianoteq and Nectar.
Truth be told, I would actually prefer Pianoteq first.
But necessity would probably dictate a "do it all" plugin. Which for me, is HALion.
And if by chance, they didn't get my dongle, I'd be good to go there.
Take care.

As go my most essential instrument VSTs:

Diva
Repro
FM8
Halion 6
Groove Agent

BBFG#
KVRAF

Post Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:06 pm

Thing is, we are accustomed to the fact that safety is an illusion and in all our travels, we've seen it play out in all its dichotomies. It hasn't killed us, and supposedly, that makes us stronger? ;)
The only constant is change.

I'll add this here...
When I left LA twenty years ago, my setup was simply a Korg N5, a Roland R70, a 486 computer with a Midiman interface and a single stereo cassette recorder. And I still have the keyboard and drum machine.
Last edited by BBFG# on Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

V0RT3X
KVRAF
7942 posts since 4 Jul, 2012 from Alesia

Post Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:31 pm

My most essential so far?

Geist 2 - Its just so enjoyable to use and barely takes much CPU. I also really like the drag’n’drop slicer and built in mixing engine. The real fun stuff is when you start using it for polyrhythmic beats.

Cypher 2 - I’ve always had a soft spot for this synthesizer. It might not be the best for fm style stuff but it allows for quick results and the MPE stuff is fun when I use my rise49.

Reaktor 6 - Its vast and i love the blocks modular stuff for making my own custom FSU ensembles. There is so much here! it’s really an essential tool that every composer/sound designer should take advantage of. I often like sampling the weird stuff from this to make sliced up kits in Geist.

Massive-X - If i had to choose between this or Massive, i would go for this because of the quality of sound and the deep modulation system. Also I’m looking forward to MPE in this one day.

The Drop - It is great for adding Mojo to sterile sounds and rhythm to lifeless sounds. I always find a place for this ob my stuff.

The Glue - i am a huge fan of The Glue in Ableton, but when i moved to Bitwig i didnt have it built in so it was only natural to buy this . Great bus compressor that adds a bit of pleasing colour when you drive it hard. Its the simplest of my plugins as far as controls go but I really like the sound..

Zebra + TDZ - if I had to choose between the modular awesomeness of Zebra or the thick warm sound of Diva then id go with Zebra+ The Dark Zebra because of the Diva filters built in. This way I get the best of both worlds.

Zebra just has so much going on and the CPU to sound quality ratio is perfect for when I need vast amount of Zebras. Overall you get a lot of bang for your buck.

Hive2 - Easy to use and sounds great when I want a quick great sounding modern workflow. I like how it makes you want to focus on working fast rather than spend time endlessly tweaking.

Byome - I like the algorithms in Byome and the modulation system just “works” for creating fast wacky effects. It also works great as a swiss army knife FX plugin for subtle saturation, simple EQ tweaks, reverb etc.

Triad - same as above but for Multiband use.

Acon Digital Equalize 2 - great quick EQ that sounds great and does what it says it will do. I also appreciate The super steep filter slopes for experimental sound duties.

Acon Verberate 2 - i need this for more natural Sounding algorithmic verbs. I can do weird and spacey reverbs in abundance with all the character verbs i have in the aformentioned plugins, but when i want something to sound like its in a real room this is my goto.

Thats pretty much all i would really want along with Bitwig. I know those plugins fairly well and enjoy using them and learning new things about them on a daily basis.

Also My OCD seems to have accepted this bunch as my desert island pack.

e@rs
KVRAF
4384 posts since 15 Dec, 2011 from Bucharest, Romania

Post Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:01 pm

e-crooner wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:59 am
...I am still looking for a single synth that does everything I need it to do, which is not that much, anyway. I hate the idea of having a folder full of plugins because each of them sucks at something.
I suggest Avenger. Does ~everything and has a feature no other synth has: it resets its activation every 3 months.

CrystalWizard
KVRian
955 posts since 10 Jul, 2008 from Orbit Sol III

Post Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:15 pm

I’d start over where i started out: Reaktor.
gadgets an gizmos...make noise
https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness

FapFilter
KVRist
249 posts since 29 Oct, 2015

Post Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:28 pm

Truly essential?
I love my setup, but i think i'd only hate having to find a replacement for Geist 2

And for sample editing / preparation nothing i tried beats Sound Forge for me

codec_spurt
KVRAF
4010 posts since 21 Sep, 2005

Post Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:29 pm

Gotta love these bad boys:

https://www.magix.com/gb/music/essentialfx/

The fact you pay 50 bucks less for them if you are in the UK is a nice touch. Seeing as we usually pay 50 bucks more.

No English Manual. Sprechen sie Deutsch or nicht!

Coded by a God on the scene.

You can pick them up in the market place for 30 bucks.

The Compressor and Gate are true sidechain.

sacer
KVRian
662 posts since 8 Jan, 2012 from frankfurt, Germany

Post Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:56 pm

diva, tal mod and dune3

hivkorn
KVRAF
3228 posts since 6 Sep, 2007 from France

Post Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:20 pm

fabfilter complete / waves SSL / Falcon 2 / Avenger / Softube Modular / Cherry audio voltage...

gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
2391 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:31 pm

codec_spurt wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:29 pm
Gotta love these bad boys:

https://www.magix.com/gb/music/essentialfx/

The fact you pay 50 bucks less for them if you are in the UK is a nice touch. Seeing as we usually pay 50 bucks more.

No English Manual. Sprechen sie Deutsch or nicht!

Coded by a God on the scene.

You mean Sascha (now U-he ) Eversmeier ?
I thought he did the analogue modelling , vintage suit and guitar amp for magix
https://www.magix.com/us/music/analogue ... ing-suite/
https://www.magix.com/us/music/vintage-effects-suite/

Any reason why these (essential fx ) are better then the toneboosters track essentials (which I love ) ?
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

lacandon
KVRian
580 posts since 31 Aug, 2012

Post Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:39 pm

Uhe Zebra Diva Repro
Sugar Bytes Factory,Aparillo
Palindrome
Unfiltered Audio Spec ops Byome
Output Portal