EZDrummer

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
9334 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: Most essential VST plugins

Post Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:44 pm

e-crooner wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:19 pm
Oh, I am not even talking about those "mega-synths" as you call them, not at all, I can't stand them. I am only interested in subtractive, yet I haven't found any subtractive synth I am really happy with.
I hope this will finally change with Synapse Audio's Oberheim emulation next year :)
So what comes closest at the moment? The problem with the OB-Xa is no cross-modulation. Hopefully Rich will ignore that limitation and put it in anyway.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 17 (Core i7, 8GB RAM, Win10), UR44C, Cubase, DUNE, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Hive, Substance, Arcsyn, Aparillo, Phase Plant, Pigments, Trueno, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt, Craft 2.

e-crooner
KVRian
873 posts since 22 Aug, 2019

Post Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:00 pm

BONES wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:44 pm
e-crooner wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:19 pm
Oh, I am not even talking about those "mega-synths" as you call them, not at all, I can't stand them. I am only interested in subtractive, yet I haven't found any subtractive synth I am really happy with.
I hope this will finally change with Synapse Audio's Oberheim emulation next year :)
So what comes closest at the moment? The problem with the OB-Xa is no cross-modulation. Hopefully Rich will ignore that limitation and put it in anyway.
In terms of features I would already be happy with Sylenth1, but its sound quality is just not as good as with more modern synths, even much cheaper ones such as Messiah, whose sound has more body and oomph, the effects are also superior. But it has other cons, such as no additional envelopes, no monophonic retrigger mode, the absurdly exaggerated osc section, no osc phase control, the cluttered and slightly too big interface etc.

Missing cross modulation is no problem for me, I don't like such sounds, anyway. Nor ring modulation, FM etc.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!

Post Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:46 am

Do you mean Memorymoon Messiah? Interesting, I wonder why none of their stuff is in the KVR database? Chris Kerry is a gifted DSP guy for sure. I am going to have to download the demo and have a play. I have a question, though. If you aren't into cross-mod, why would you need extra envelopes?
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 17 (Core i7, 8GB RAM, Win10), UR44C, Cubase, DUNE, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Hive, Substance, Arcsyn, Aparillo, Phase Plant, Pigments, Trueno, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt, Craft 2.

e-crooner
KVRian
873 posts since 22 Aug, 2019

Post Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:42 am

Yes, the Memorymoon thingy. The demo version is not the very latest, yet, it doesn't have the oversampling and a few other things.

I need a third envelope for pitch and additional cutoff modulation, I use that a lot for percussive sounds, synth basses, pianos, etc., anything that requires a more elaborate attack.

audiojunkie
KVRAF
2942 posts since 19 Apr, 2002 from Utah

Post Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:57 pm

Mushy Mushy wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:59 am
psynical wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:56 am
hey, it's once again time to play > WHAT'S A PLUGIN YOU CAN NAME?!?

i'm relatively new around here, but is this really you all's favorite type of thread? Seems like a new one is started every week...
Sounds as though somebody is a little cynical.
Ah, I see what you did there! :lol: :clap: :D
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
13554 posts since 7 Sep, 2008

Post Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:57 pm

audiojunkie wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:57 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote:
psynical wrote:

i'm relatively new around here, but is this really you all's favorite type of thread? Seems like a new one is started every week...
Finally. Finally somebody got it :tu:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Bodhisan
KVRian
582 posts since 7 Aug, 2015 from H2O

Post Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:17 pm

Octopus
Tangle
Toneboosters
Lately, Uhbik C
...and Little Microshift on most tracks since the $10 benefit sale a couple of years ago. Talk about “unison.”

audiojunkie
KVRAF
2942 posts since 19 Apr, 2002 from Utah

Post Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:39 pm

vurt wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:03 pm
e-crooner wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:54 am
What's the point of anyone forcing you at gunpoint to list your 16 (?!) essential VSTi's? The whole point of that gunpoint scenario is that you have to make an extremely difficult decision, and thus sacrifices. And believe me, if you had a gun at your temple, you would surely be capable of picking just a single VST :wink:
a guy in manchester once pointed a gun at me to steal my bike.
i laughed and removed my trousers.
not because im tough, but because my mind just went blank and i went in to auto pilot.
he looked at me and said "nah man, you is right weird" tucked his shooter away and wandered off down an alley.
:o :clap: :tu: Hahaha!! Awesome story! I had a friend that had a similar experience. Some guy stuck a gun in his back and took his wallet. He wasn't thinking, and immediately grabbed it back, took the picture of his girlfriend and his driver's license and handed it back to the gunman. The gunman was so stunned, he didn't know how to react. After a couple of quick moments, he took the wallet and left. CRAZY!! There's nothing in my wallet worth dying for! :hihi:
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

e@rs
KVRAF
4384 posts since 15 Dec, 2011 from Bucharest, Romania

Post Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:31 am

Mushy Mushy wrote:
audiojunkie wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:
psynical wrote:

:? {my n0 smarrts, izee bcos he's nikNam?e]

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
13554 posts since 7 Sep, 2008

Post Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:48 am

e@rs wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:31 am
Mushy Mushy wrote:
audiojunkie wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:
psynical wrote:

:? {my n0 smarrts, izee bcos he's nikNam?e]
Yes, you too are a genies arse.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

e@rs
KVRAF
4384 posts since 15 Dec, 2011 from Bucharest, Romania

Post Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:05 am

^ :x

........nooooooooooooooow white aminutt ::gogoel serch xpresionn;; :party: :hug: :tu: :clap: :hyper: :love:

Tks32tim
KVRer
15 posts since 6 Jan, 2020

Post Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:57 pm

Im boring and use fabfilter for just about everything, quick and simple results that don't tax my brain!(that's a compliment not a diss)
As well as xfers ott , soundtoys filterfreak and goodhertz stuff.

Sonarworks ref 4 also essential

BONES
GRRRRRRR!

Post Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:12 pm

Yeah, that's a great approach, With most of the best sounding synths also being ridiculously over-complicated, it's nice to find something that is really straightforward that doesn't distract you from other things for too long, yet sounds really good. Tyrell N6 is a bit like that for me - give it a go for a couple of minutes and if I can't get what I want, I try something else. DUNE can be good for that, too, if you can ignore the temptation to start screwing around with MSEGs, the mod matrix and all that layering krap. I should probably get DUNE CM, it would probably work better for me.

V0RT3X
KVRAF
7942 posts since 4 Jul, 2012 from Alesia

Post Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:37 am

enCiphered wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:58 pm
V0RT3X wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:31 pm
My most essential so far?

Geist 2 - Its just so enjoyable to use and barely takes much CPU. I also really like the drag’n’drop slicer and built in mixing engine. The real fun stuff is when you start using it for polyrhythmic beats.

Cypher 2 - I’ve always had a soft spot for this synthesizer. It might not be the best for fm style stuff but it allows for quick results and the MPE stuff is fun when I use my rise49.

Reaktor 6 - Its vast and i love the blocks modular stuff for making my own custom FSU ensembles. There is so much here! it’s really an essential tool that every composer/sound designer should take advantage of. I often like sampling the weird stuff from this to make sliced up kits in Geist.

Massive-X - If i had to choose between this or Massive, i would go for this because of the quality of sound and the deep modulation system. Also I’m looking forward to MPE in this one day.

The Drop - It is great for adding Mojo to sterile sounds and rhythm to lifeless sounds. I always find a place for this ob my stuff.

The Glue - i am a huge fan of The Glue in Ableton, but when i moved to Bitwig i didnt have it built in so it was only natural to buy this . Great bus compressor that adds a bit of pleasing colour when you drive it hard. Its the simplest of my plugins as far as controls go but I really like the sound..

Zebra + TDZ - if I had to choose between the modular awesomeness of Zebra or the thick warm sound of Diva then id go with Zebra+ The Dark Zebra because of the Diva filters built in. This way I get the best of both worlds.

Zebra just has so much going on and the CPU to sound quality ratio is perfect for when I need vast amount of Zebras. Overall you get a lot of bang for your buck.

Hive2 - Easy to use and sounds great when I want a quick great sounding modern workflow. I like how it makes you want to focus on working fast rather than spend time endlessly tweaking.

Byome - I like the algorithms in Byome and the modulation system just “works” for creating fast wacky effects. It also works great as a swiss army knife FX plugin for subtle saturation, simple EQ tweaks, reverb etc.

Triad - same as above but for Multiband use.

Acon Digital Equalize 2 - great quick EQ that sounds great and does what it says it will do. I also appreciate The super steep filter slopes for experimental sound duties.

Acon Verberate 2 - i need this for more natural Sounding algorithmic verbs. I can do weird and spacey reverbs in abundance with all the character verbs i have in the aformentioned plugins, but when i want something to sound like its in a real room this is my goto.

Thats pretty much all i would really want along with Bitwig. I know those plugins fairly well and enjoy using them and learning new things about them on a daily basis.

Also My OCD seems to have accepted this bunch as my desert island pack.
Very interesting and detailed listing, thanks for sharing with us :tu:
That was a good list, but I decided to go with a slightly more different setup that gives me a real analogue retro sounding setup.

It's nice and tidy, covers a ton of retro sound styles! And has a very small focused footprint that allows me to focus on learning each plugin rather than having a bunch of more complex ones to get lost in.

Diva
Repro
Permut8
Cyclone
Tal-sampler
Tal-U-No-Lx
ValhallaDelay
ValhallaVintageVerb
Cassette
Spectre

As a bonus it's also all serial based, so no C/Rs or crap. I decided to go all serial so there is less background stuff happening.
Last edited by V0RT3X on Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”