What synth do you actually USE the most in your own music????

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Last edited by LoveEnigma18 on Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

Plugs4Life wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:48 pm
teilo wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:29 am Lately, mostly Rapid.

I have WAY too many synths. As an exercise, I'd like to do my own OSC, and do a track using only one synth (except for drums) with each of the major synths I own. If nothing else, it might precipitate a big sell-off (who am I kidding).

Here's my current list, not counting free synths. Almost everything was purchased on sale, over many years, but still...

Collections:
Arturia V 7
NI Komplete 12 Ultimate — Collector's Edition
Steinberg Absolute V3 (Halion, Padshop 2, etc.)
All TAL synths
All U-He synths
Melda MCompleteBundle (MSoundFactory and MPowerSynth)
Reason 11 Studio Edition

Individuals:
Aparillo
BioTek 2
Diversion
DS Thorn
Dune 3
Fabfilter One
Fabfilter Twin 2
Fathom
Kilohearts One
The Legend
ME80 v2
Xils miniSyn-X
OP-X Pro II
Phase Plant
Pigments
Poly-Ana
Rapid
Serum
Spire
Synthmaster 1
Synthmaster 2
Xils Sin-X 2
Xils PolyKB III
Ultra Analog VA-3
VacuumPro
Voltage Modular
VPS Avenger
Xils 3.2
Xils 4
Plus a couple of rack extensions for Reason:
Korg Mono/Poly
Blackpole Station
I feel like one doesn't realize what a money pit music production is until they're this deep in software synths.
Except it's not even close. If you add up the full price of all those instruments, it might just be enough to buy a second-hand hardware workstation synth like a Triton, Fantom or Motif with a few bells and whistles. Music production used to be a money pit, now anyone can afford to get as deep into it as they want to.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I think both sides are completely valid. It doesn't have to be a money pit, but it definitely can be one. Even simple differences like the country of residence can have a big role in how much you might spend on equipment. When it comes to plugins though, that's a different topic, we live in an age where you can save thousands of dollars on software, which is amazing. But it still can be an expensive hobby to some.
Last edited by MMaarrkk on Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take care :wink:

[Double post]
Take care :wink:

Adam Szabo Viper is probably my most used go to for anything synth. Love the sound and the layout just works for me. I did used to own a virus c so it makes sense.
Also i notice many others tend to stick with sylenth, serum or spire. I like to be different.

I picked up tone2 saurus 2 recently and think this will be one i use all the time.

I guess 3rd would be uhe repro 1 and 5

I already replied earlier.

Lately Ana 2 and Lion.

discogsaddict wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:43 am Adam Szabo Viper is probably my most used go to for anything synth. Love the sound and the layout just works for me. I did used to own a virus c so it makes sense.
Also i notice many others tend to stick with sylenth, serum or spire. I like to be different.
For me, it's not about being different or similar, it's about sound. ;)

chk071 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:04 am
discogsaddict wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:43 am Adam Szabo Viper is probably my most used go to for anything synth. Love the sound and the layout just works for me. I did used to own a virus c so it makes sense.
For me, it's not about being different or similar, it's about sound. ;)
I agree with you, but i understand discogsaddict's perspective.

I'm a bit like that with tracks when i was a DJ, but i'm not like that with my synth choices.

discogsaddict wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:43 am

I guess 3rd would be uhe repro 1 and 5
On my wishlist! Probably my next synth.

Dune 3 and Spire for sure. But the one that gets the most out of all my synths is Sylenth. Its because it has such low CPU (although I think Dune's is even lower) and I've used it for so long I know how to dial up a sound fast. If Spire was lower on CPU I'd probably use that a lot more.
Too bad about no Mac version of Viper, really want to try it out. I loved JP6K when I was on windows. Then again I just got a Darkstar TI2 so I'm not complaining.
"FriendZone"

But I bet you're not.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

By the numbers over all the years it would be the Carbon (v1) Reaktor ensemble. I used that extensively on a couple dozen ep and lp releases... it had a crazy aliased and harsh sound and terrible filters. Hard to believe it now, but that was the first software synthesizer that really worked for me... I think it came out in 2001 or 2002.

After that would be Surge, also back in the day when it was commercial. That was a great synth and it still is, actually... I remember my laptop only being able to handle four notes at a time. I think I could probably do 100x that many today. I used that as my only softsynth for 5-6 years, too.

Now it is pretty much all Kontakt (I use several Spitfire libraries), Bitwig Grid (where I run my custom mpe-oriented sampler patches) and Diva. The Bitwig built in synths are really great, too -- not to be overlooked, esp with the modulation system.

i use a lot of CS-80 and Jup 8. I am an 80s Vangelis dweeb. But now I started using Serum a lot.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:44 pm
I am demoing ANA 2. Sounds beautiful and indeed has a certain character to it. But GUI and layout is not looking very convenient to me, at least right now. It's on sale for 44 GBP with code, which is a great price. But I am trying to justify it against my most used synths like Massive, Massive X, and relatively new Pigments 2.

EDIT: Got ANA 2. Sounds incredible and it's a real fun to learn synth programming. It is a lot diverse than it might seem to be. The arp and cmd features are amazing. Thanks to nachenko for his advice to go for it and his free ANA 2 presets. :tu:
ANA2 is imo the best value per price synth I came across. It's 1/3 of the price of serum, but not too far away quality wise.

GeneralQ wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:18 am ANA2 is imo the best value per price synth I came across. It's 1/3 of the price of serum
Is it 54 € now permanently? I though it was just a temporary discount...

Return to “Instruments”