New Pigments 2 Thread (On Topic Discussion Only, Please)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Palette for Arturia Pigments 2 Pigments 5

thanks a lot @rezoneight! glad you like the sounds.

A single Pigments 2 patch, engine 1 using a simple wavetable, engine 2 using a multi-sampled synth pad with x-fade looping. Automating the 4 assigned Macros and the modulation wheel in Logic X.

https://youtu.be/RSiWxjiV6X0

zvenx wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:24 pm Taste as always is personal.
This is my favourite bank for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Fybwb ... e=emb_logo

ymmv

rsp
Yes, Luftrum is good, especially for ambient and cinema stuff.
arovane1 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:56 pm @clipnotic. sounds/ presets are a matter of taste..but maybe you like this one with focus on the granular engine:
https://youtu.be/3KHdSNos7JY
Yes, nice atmos and pads, also good for Ambient.

Both are good! :tu:

Ever thought of making your own sounds? It takes a lot less effort than wading through banks of other people's work.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:28 am Ever thought of making your own sounds? It takes a lot less effort than wading through banks of other people's work.
No.

Just joking. But it takes a hell of a lot less time to flip thru someone else's presets than making your own. It's also a fantastic way to learn. And some people just don't want to bother. They'd rather start with someone else's sound and tweak or just use as is.

I find the exact opposite. I can easily spend an hour trying to find a sound that I could probably make for myself in 10 minutes.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

rezoneight wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:52 am
BONES wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:28 am Ever thought of making your own sounds? It takes a lot less effort than wading through banks of other people's work.
No.

Just joking. But it takes a hell of a lot less time to flip thru someone else's presets than making your own. It's also a fantastic way to learn. And some people just don't want to bother. They'd rather start with someone else's sound and tweak or just use as is.
My bug bear with all synths with built in effects is most don't allow you to lock them off when flipping through presets.

Was demoing some new Chromophone presets I got yesterday and gave up. All drenched in effects that take multiple clicks to disable. I don't want your cheesy effect chains godamnit!
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:17 am
My bug bear with all synths with built in effects is most don't allow you to lock them off when flipping through presets.

Was demoing some new Chromophone presets I got yesterday and gave up. All drenched in effects that take multiple clicks to disable. I don't want your cheesy effect chains godamnit!
You got a point there! :clap:
Windows 10 and too many plugins

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:17 am
No.

Well...

Add an automation lane to disable the FX and then scroll through. Yes it’s a pain but it’s a set once and forget affair. If you have a project template include a Pigments test track in there.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

perpetual3 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:05 pm I would just like a sub oscillator in dual wavetable mode.
Actually, that sounds reasonable. I’d like that too.

No.

Yeah I agree, plus other presets can provide you with inspiration to make your own. When you have the opportunity it can be good to create your own, but it’s time consuming nonetheless and nothing that should be done while trying to write and arrange. That can really kill the flow.

Although, quick adjustments are to be expected.

First of all, I was not suggesting presets are a waste of time, I was responding to the notion that any VSTi you buy today doesn't come with enough of them and you need to buy more. Somewhere around 100 is the sweet spot - enough to show off what a synth can do without repeating yourself. Once you get much beyond that number, all you are getting is duplication of ideas with maybe a subtle change here or there. e.g. Yesterday I was going through some of ANA's presets and in two places were 5 patches, all with the same name and a number, BlahBlah-1 to BlahBlah-5 sort of thing, and on both occasions it was like the first one had the cutoff at 10%, the second at 15%, the 3rd at 20%, etc. It was completely pointless and you will find in pretty much any synth you want to go through that there will be dozens of patches that are so similar to another patch (or anther 10 patches) that there is no point in them being there at all. How many sad brass patches, for example, does one synth really need in order to provide you with that inspiration you are looking for?

That's why I have got into the habit of saving out patches I like into a separate folder as I work through the presets on a new synth. On something that I really like, I might find as many as a dozen great sounds in the presets, although mostly I struggle to find more than four or five. I think Equator probably holds the record - I found more than 20 presets I thought would be useful to us amongst its factory sounds. I found more than a dozen from Union, too, where with Pigments I could only find half-a-dozen good ones and all the Pigments patches I've used are ones I have made myself from scratch.

On the point of which takes longer, I cannot imagine how stupid you would have to be for it to take longer to create your own patches than to trawl through 400 presets looking for the right sound.

BONES wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:07 am First of all, I was not suggesting presets are a waste of time, I was responding to the notion that any VSTi you buy today doesn't come with enough of them and you need to buy more. Somewhere around 100 is the sweet spot - enough to show off what a synth can do without repeating yourself. Once you get much beyond that number, all you are getting is duplication of ideas with maybe a subtle change here or there. e.g. Yesterday I was going through some of ANA's presets and in two places were 5 patches, all with the same name and a number, BlahBlah-1 to BlahBlah-5 sort of thing, and on both occasions it was like the first one had the cutoff at 10%, the second at 15%, the 3rd at 20%, etc. It was completely pointless and you will find in pretty much any synth you want to go through that there will be dozens of patches that are so similar to another patch (or anther 10 patches) that there is no point in them being there at all. How many sad brass patches, for example, does one synth really need in order to provide you with that inspiration you are looking for?

That's why I have got into the habit of saving out patches I like into a separate folder as I work through the presets on a new synth. On something that I really like, I might find as many as a dozen great sounds in the presets, although mostly I struggle to find more than four or five. I think Equator probably holds the record - I found more than 20 presets I thought would be useful to us amongst its factory sounds. I found more than a dozen from Union, too, where with Pigments I could only find half-a-dozen good ones and all the Pigments patches I've used are ones I have made myself from scratch.

On the point of which takes longer, I cannot imagine how stupid you would have to be for it to take longer to create your own patches than to trawl through 400 presets looking for the right sound.
So two things: I would hope nobody goes through 400 presets every single time they need a sound. Like you I catalog everything once when I get something new, and I suspect most people do the same thing. No need to trawl through 400 presets. Two, it has nothing to do with "stupid". Some people don't want to program sounds. Some people just don't know enough about how something works. That's not stupid, that's ignorance. There is a big difference. And quite frankly some people are just damned good at making sounds.

For me personally I'll buy one or two preset packs from notable sound designers if they're available for a VST I own. Its a great way to learn from people who know this stuff better than I do and I only buy them on sale. It saves me time so its worth the $20 or whatever both as a starting point and a learning aid.

What happens if you go through your catalogued sounds and don't find the right thing? What other choice is there if you aren't willing to make your own, other than to go through the rest of them?

I wrote a book about programming sounds and I could do this easily, but it's much faster to search and edit presets, especially because you can test lists of sounds in seconds, instead of programming every time a new sound. If I'm searching for a lead sound for example, I scroll through thousands of lead sounds in minutes! :wink:
BONES wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:43 am What happens if you go through your catalogued sounds and don't find the right thing? What other choice is there if you aren't willing to make your own, other than to go through the rest of them?
I have over 800 GB samples and thousands of sounds and soundbanks for many VST synths and if I want to find a sound I search for a similar and edit it, takes minutes.

And by the way, I also wrote a book about harmony and music theory and learnt that stuff two years intensiv, but still I sometimes use MIDI files, too.

Do you program your own software or are you using the work of other peoples?
Last edited by clipnotic on Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”