New Pigments 2 Thread (On Topic Discussion Only, Please)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
7696 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:44 pm

BONES wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:32 pm
Then maybe you need to start paying attention? It's always been .wav or nothing for me.
So I suppose the worthwhile compatible formats are whatever you use and not what are common formats for sample players? Do you actually think it's best for Arturia not to include aiff because you do not use that particular format?
System: Windows 10, Dell XPS 2-in-1, Bitwig 3, Steinberg UR44.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
9455 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: New Pigments 2 Thread (On Topic Discussion Only, Please)

Post Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:51 pm

No, it's just that I take the time to turn everything into a .wav file if it's not already and I make sure anything I create myself gets saved as a .wav, too. There are exception, I have a few .osp files for Orion's Sampler and al the content for Zampler is .sfz but the limitations that imposes just makes me more careful, to make sure everything else I use is a .wav file.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 17 (Core i7, 8GB RAM, Win10), UR44C, Cubase, DUNE, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Hive, Substance, Arcsyn, Aparillo, Phase Plant, Pigments, Trueno, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt, Craft 2.

Ficciones
KVRist
58 posts since 1 Jul, 2019

Post Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:13 pm

exponent1 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:17 am
Also with the microtuning. It seems that tunings which have more than 12 semitones in a scale don't work. Thanks a lot of taking notice!
Also with less than 12. It used to work with .tun format scale definitions even though it was wonky with .scl, but now it's broken with both. Not nice!

SamArturia
KVRer
3 posts since 14 Jan, 2020

Post Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:33 am

Hello,

Regarding the microtuning, we currently support two different kind of files (.scl & .tun).
.tun file import is supposed be implemented as defined by the standard. We're not able to reproduce any regression with .tun files between versions 1.2 & 2.0, @Ficciones could you provide us with more information on your issue please?
.scl file import is going to be reworked to better handle scales with more (or less) than 12 degrees and take a reference note into account.

Cheers

Ficciones
KVRist
58 posts since 1 Jul, 2019

Post Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:53 am

SamArturia wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:33 am
Hello,

Regarding the microtuning, we currently support two different kind of files (.scl & .tun).
.tun file import is supposed be implemented as defined by the standard. We're not able to reproduce any regression with .tun files between versions 1.2 & 2.0, @Ficciones could you provide us with more information on your issue please?
.scl file import is going to be reworked to better handle scales with more (or less) than 12 degrees and take a reference note into account.

Cheers
Hi Sam,

I double checked and Pigments 2.0.0.747 has trouble with .tun files generated by Sevish scale workshop. In particular, it doesn't like the anamark section. If I edit the file and just leave the Vaz section at the top, it works OK.

Here are some demonstration files using a 5-TET scale.

This one works.

This one fails. Notes below C60 and above E64 are unusable.

Files with both Vaz and Anamark sections work properly in U-he Zebra 2 (and, I'm assuming, the other U-he synths that support .tun)

It's not a huge deal, I can just trim the files by hand, but I think lots of people working with microtuning use scale workshop, so...

Looking forward to the .scl reworking - it's a simpler, easier to edit by hand format.

SamArturia
KVRer
3 posts since 14 Jan, 2020

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:10 am

Hi Ficciones,

Thank you very much for these details, we will look into it carefully.

EDIT: Check the line 284 of the file that fails to be imported.
I'll send you a PM about the details (I don't want to pollute this thread), but it seems that the problem comes from the file instead of Pigments ;)

Cheers

simon.a.billington
Suspended
1814 posts since 12 Nov, 2014

Post Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:45 am

muki wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:37 pm
misterpatrick wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:41 pm
I have a really stupid Pigments 2 question - what format do samples need to be in for import?
simply drag&drop from finder

wav seems to work
i just tried the drones and FX from the Iris2 library

samples longer than 60s are not supported
and will be cropped

aiff seems NOT to be supportet (????)
i'll file a ticket

hth
That’s a bit of a glaring omission. I can understand not supporting CAF, but AIFF??

Examigan
KVRAF
5073 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Post Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:04 am

] Peter:H [ wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:22 am
The Analog Engine is okay. What I missed is the phase control of the Oscillators. Seems there's only free running mode. It would nice to have a little more control here.

] Peter:H [
This may help:
viewtopic.php?t=526873&start=60

dune_rave
KVRAF
1513 posts since 23 Jun, 2006 from Hungary

Post Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:02 pm

I can say I like Pigments mainly for its sequencer, but I miss the option to save sequencer presets, or lock the sequencer when changing preset. I hope someday it will be implemented...

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
9455 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:02 pm

Doesn't the host software you run it in have a sequencer you could use?
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 17 (Core i7, 8GB RAM, Win10), UR44C, Cubase, DUNE, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Hive, Substance, Arcsyn, Aparillo, Phase Plant, Pigments, Trueno, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt, Craft 2.

dune_rave
KVRAF
1513 posts since 23 Jun, 2006 from Hungary

Post Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:37 pm

the host software doesn't have polyrhythmic sequencer that restarts after a given time. plus in this case, i want to use this great sequencer inside pigments. Arturia packed it with many features, still you create a setting, and can't copy it to another preset.
this pigments sequencer cant be compared to the sequencer of the host, because it is inside the synth and drives it in its special way, so i cant use the host sequencer this way.

Return to “Instruments”