Krotos Audio Concept

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Concept 2

I didn't really expect much praise or response for this synth. I had the opportunity to participate in beta tests for Concept 1, and I was worried that it would disappear under tons of other huge synths with fancy GUIs. So it's good to know that it's not that bad (otherwise, they wouldn't do v2).
I guess that if it would have fancy GUI (looking like analog with wooden knobs and sticks instead of faders ;) or 3D skeuomorphic) then more people would be interested.

I was praising the mod section, especially the ability to control parameters with pitch and volume of external audio source - it's such a great thing to use live with, e.g. voice (though it can be unpredictable in a live situation).

I wish they had a better system for NFR licenses as I must message their support every time I'm reinstalling OS or getting a new PC, to redo the license. Because of that, I'm not even using it now.

You know, since TB Flowtones has been released I decided to keep an eye on its progress. It's still kinda far from where I'd like to see it (mostly workflow wise), but I think there's potential. I like its sound.
OTOH, I just remembered about Concept. I think it sounds at least as good, has a GREAT, fast and straightfoward workflow (I'm into composing, not sound design. I don't like overly complex synths) AND has been upgraded with a great granular engine.
If at some point I see it in a good sale, I might just skip Flowtones and get it.

Not long left to get 50% off ...

50CONCEPT21

Expires midnight 19/10/2021
[edit] I see they're based in Scotland so it may be too late

I love Concept 2. It is one of those synths I look for excuses to put into a song and it always makes the piece sound betterer.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:45 am I love Concept 2. It is one of those synths I look for excuses to put into a song and it always makes the piece sound betterer.
It is a great-sounding synth for sure. I love the X/Y mode and modulation settings right in front. It makes creating sound effects and synth patches very quick and intuitive. It's a plugin that allows you to work without getting bogged down in overly complex routing or menus.

It's also been pretty CPU efficient on my 2020 iMac. I would've liked a little more choice of onboard effects to choose from, but ultimately it stands on it's own as a lean and mean synthesizer with a wide range of sonic possibilities.

I can't find a way to make the filter track the keyboard. Likewise, I can't find velocity as a modulation source; it seems to be coupled to the depth of the envelopes but there is no apparent way to decouple it or set the level of scale with the velocity.

Am I missing something? Anyone? I submitted a support ticket for this because I can't find a way to do it.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

No, you're correct. Nothing's perfect, you need to learn to take the bad with the good.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:23 am No, you're correct. Nothing's perfect, you need to learn to take the bad with the good.
Yeah, for sure. I think keyboard tracking on the filter it is an odd omission given that there is a formant filter type.
Gribs

Meh, it's something I pretty much never use. I had certainly not noticed its absence here.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:31 am Not long left to get 50% off ...

50CONCEPT21

Expires midnight 19/10/2021
[edit] I see they're based in Scotland so it may be too late
Its 50% off again now....

BONES wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:09 am Meh, it's something I pretty much never use. I had certainly not noticed its absence here.
I use it all of the time, especially for pads. Moving a formant filter with KB note is a good way to add expression to a patch, too. I don't necessarily make the tracking 100% unless I am playing the filter as a note (comb filters especially). For pads and basses I usually put it around 50% to skulpt then notes but keep from getting muddy-sounding to my old ears.

Edit: for wavetable synths it is less important because, at least if you make your own wavetable, you can put the filter skulpting right in the wave table.

Krotos has now verified and told me they have both KB and velocity as modulation sources as possible additions.
Gribs

I use velocity modulation ALL the time, so that will be a welcome addition, but I'm getting by just fine without it.

If anyone's interested Concept 2 is 40% off at the moment, until the end of the month. It's definitely a synth worth having so go and buy it while it's relatively inexpensive.

Anyone know if there are plans for a native M1 version?

For the next 6 days it's 70% at AudioPlugin Deals $45
https://audioplugin.deals/concept-2-syn ... tos-audio/

Return to “Instruments”