Why not a subtractive synth with LFOs that go to much higher rates?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So basically subtractive plus fm. I'm sure there are some. But I wonder why it's not just common. Anyone know of some?
I mean an LFO that can go at least 20 times higher than the carrier wave. Seems like a very slight change that could really open up potential.

1. Most nowadays FM synths already work like a subtractive one...(with filters etc...)

2. There are already some offering this like i.e. PhasePlant every oscillator can modulate every parameter inside at audiorate...

Bazille

Anything that’s modular should fit that description

Yes. Massive X can do that for example. Like, you can use an LFO as an additional oscillator. You can do very wild PM stuff with this synth.

Thanks.

The “L” in lfo stands for “low”.
If you take an lfo into audio rates it’s no longer a low frequency oscillator. It is just a standard oscillator.

It’s a bit like asking why there are no 6 foot dwarfs.

...and fm synths are really phase modulation synths. I know what lfo stands for.

If you take an lfo into audio rates it’s no longer a low frequency oscillator. It is just a standard oscillator.
Standard synth oscillators are tuned to incoming MIDI pitch, while LFOs are not.

...or maybe there are some internet haters that prevent low frequency oscillators from being fast, there are surely not rational or technical limitations.

One issue I see is LFO tuning - if you have one little knob controlling range from 0.001 Hz to 20 kHz, it's difficult to dial any particular value.

The other may be some fetish for "analog emulation" - if original synth had low frequency range, the new one has this limit as well.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:41 pm Standard synth oscillators are tuned to incoming MIDI pitch, while LFOs are not.
Depends on the synth. Some of mine don’t even have midi and with some you can disable the keyboard/midi control of oscillators.
DJ Warmonger wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:41 pm ...or maybe there are some internet haters that prevent low frequency oscillators from being fast, there are surely not rational or technical limitations.
There actually are technical limitations and rational decisions but it has nothing to do with weather you hate the internet or not.
empphryio wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:30 pm ..I know what lfo stands for.
And yet you ask for one that is high frequency.
empphryio wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:30 pm ...and fm synths are really phase modulation synths.
Yes,Yamaha DX,etc use phase modulation but there’s still alot of actual fm out there.
empphryio wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:30 pm One issue I see is LFO tuning - if you have one little knob controlling range from 0.001 Hz to 20 kHz, it's difficult to dial any particular value.
Some oscillators (lfo’s and audiorate) have a range switch to make dialling in precise values a bit easier and some have numerical values you can enter.
Last edited by Acid Mitch on Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Acid Mitch wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:12 pm The “L” in lfo stands for “low”.

It’s a bit like asking why there are no 6 foot dwarfs.
https://discworld.fandom.com/wiki/Carro ... oundersson

^ He’s a human adopted by Dwarves. Just like an audiorate lfo is really just an oscillator adopted by the modulation bus.
Last edited by Acid Mitch on Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

closest i could find sorry :hihi:

You did have me thinking “wtf, how’s that even possible” for a minute. :hihi: :tu:

:lol:

Return to “Instruments”