Future of Synthesizers

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

foosnark wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:18 pm Behringer will clone Jordan Rudess.
dear god no.... :x

Synthesizers that only work with the application of bodily fluids

Forgotten wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:24 pm Synthesizers that only work with the application of bodily fluids
thats the reason half of mine dont work

:lol:

:hihi:

Elektronisch wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:22 pm
izonin wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:55 pm Hey guys!
Wanted to start a broader topic concerning the future of the synthesizers that we use in our productions.

For the last 30 years VA has pretty much dominated both in hardware and in software. I'll just mention a few popular synths.

JP-8000
Virus
Nord Lead
Sylenth1

What do you guys think the trend will be for the next 30 years? Will we see a decline of the subtractive synths, or they will evolve into something new and better? Or maybe reach an iconic status, like the Fender Stratocaster? :)
I wonder how you came up with this "fact" of yours.

I dont see any domination of jp virus and nord leads except in forums like KVR. And then its only more of a legend status, romantised incredible sounding synths that are only talked about.

Yes, this list contains the less interesting part of synth history.
My list:
Moog modular
PPG
Dx7
CZ 101
K 5000

Oh wait this is all last millennium, and no VA at all, only one real analog...
Only granular was added more recently?
I hope inventors will eventually do new unheard stuff...
Last edited by Tj Shredder on Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

likwid-cooled SHARCs

-bit late to the party

Nord G2 and Andromeda have got to come up

Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:37 pm
Elektronisch wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:22 pm
izonin wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:55 pm Hey guys!
Wanted to start a broader topic ...
...or they will evolve into something new and better? Or maybe reach an iconic status, like the Fender Stratocaster? :)
I wonder how you came up with this "fact" of yours...

Yes, this list contains the less interesting part of synth history.
My list:
Moog modular
PPG
Dx7
CZ 101
K 5000

Oh wait this is all last millennium, and no VA at all, only one real analog...
Only granular was added more recently?
I hope inventors will eventually do new unheard stuff...
Yes, new, unheard stuff, my hope also. I would also like to see advances in PM and additive. Hybrids have potential such as Kaivo, etc. I would like to see “ease of use” become a lesser selling point but that’s not likely in this “one button, ML, soon to be AI” age.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Machine learning seems to me to be the way forward, now that most traditional synthesis methods have been explored.

Also: flying cars
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Machine learning will unlikely produce new sounds, as it can only learn from known sounds. And the word traditional means all not most...; - )
Machine learning is interesting though, but on a different level...
To find new sounds needs real creativity.
But listening to most music, it seems recreating the already known is the trend... I would leave that to the machines, they can do it better, though it remains boring...

Forgotten wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:24 pm Synthesizers that only work with the application of bodily fluids
Already been done!

https://www.raingerfx.com/product/minib ... -analyser/

AI will replace us all (both listeners and creators). :o :hihi:

Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:39 pm Machine learning will unlikely produce new sounds, as it can only learn from known sounds. And the word traditional means all not most...; - )
Machine learning is interesting though, but on a different level...
To find new sounds needs real creativity.
But listening to most music, it seems recreating the already known is the trend... I would leave that to the machines, they can do it better, though it remains boring...
That’s assuming machine learning is trained on one specific type of sound (e.g. French horn) and that it does a perfect job of replication. But what happens when you train it in a mixture of several instruments and yield odd morphing combinations, imperfectly recreated? That’s where the fun begins!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:39 pm Machine learning will unlikely produce new sounds
Obviously you've never spent much time playing with ganbreeder. I work mainly in photography and retouching... the images created by machine learning are unlike anything i've ever seen in decades of my profession. Applying the same process to sound will more than likely output similar results.
It's going to take a little while though, since resolution is still an issue with image synthesis.

You already can do new and unheard stuff with everything that is already been out. You just need to be creative, not the synth :-D

Good example wub wub wub dubstep sounds. They couldve been done in 80s or 90s already just there was no such creative mind back then.

Return to “Instruments”