XLN plugins "graphics mode" resizing question

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

Maybe I am missing something incredibly simple, but any hint would be much appreciated.

How do I make XLN plugins resize to graphics mode 2, i.e. double size?

I am currently testing Addictive Drums 2 as I am considering getting it in the current sale.
But my issue holds true for my already bought Addictive Keys and also DS-10 and RC-20 plugins from XLN.

Setup: Win10x64, Reaper 6.03 or Studio One Pro 4.6.1 (i.e. all current versions).
I am on a 4k screen and do not want to use binoculars for Addictive Drums 2. For the other plugins, it's not that important as I don't spend much time clicking and tuning within them. But I cannot imagine working with AD2 like that.

The only manual mentioning this is for RC-20 with the following one-liner. Which sounds like they decide the zoom level and not me?
GRAPHICS MODE
This shows you what graphics resolution you are currently running. (1x = standard, 2x = Retina/High PPI)
It works in the AD2 standalone version by default.
The plugins don't behave like that, though.
And while I am aware of possibilities within the DAW to resize plugins, I would much prefer the higher quality plugin scaling option.

their facebook post from back when scaling was announced (way back in 2015) said that on windows it's based on the scaling being 125% or higher on windows

I just tried it and sure enough if I set 125% scaling the standalone AD2 switches to 2x mode - however in Reaper it doesn't work (despite having the reaper options for hidpi set correctly) - but it also doesn't work in padshop2 so I suspect that's a Reaper bug

jdnz wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:08 pm their facebook post from back when scaling was announced (way back in 2015) said that on windows it's based on the scaling being 125% or higher on windows
That's the case for me (set to 150%).
And it explains why it works fine for the standalone version.
I guess you're right that it's an issue between both of my DAWs and all their plugins.

Thanks for your response and for taking the time to check on your system! :)

drove me mad when it didn't work for Padshop2 (which is tiny un-scaled) - tried all the options and posted 'work-arounds' including all the hidpi options inside reaper and the windows per-process hidpi stuff, the best I could get was the UI would be scaled by windows (so just algorithmically scaled - blurry)

just tested in ableton 10.1.7 and same issue - ableton responds to 125% scaling correctly but plugin doesn’t ‘get the message’

guess the real question is which DAWs have people had correct hidpi behaviour with XLN products?

So XLN did not feel the need to respond to my support request after 5 working days.

Are there any XLN users here who have correct hidpi scaling, as jdnz correctly asks?

Update: I got a response from their support.

They pointed me to the workaround of bridging the VST in Reaper - which is nice of them, but does not scale in the "sharp and crisp" way the plugin itself obviously could if it just queried the current DPI setting from the OS.
In S1, the workaround is also possible with the option to let the system do the DPI scaling. Same result - size is fine, rendering not sharp.
I guess other DAWs have similar scaling options as workarounds.

They are internally investigating the topic further. :tu:
I hope they will come to the same conclusion we did: it seems like it all could work just fine, the scaling option is alraedy there - only one step is missing. Fingers crossed.

Any update on this? AD2 currently on sale, but the tiny gui is a deal breaker for me.

If a plugin isn't DPI aware by itself (like Fabfilter stuff) or doesn't have mutiple sizes of GUI (like Arturia or U-He), then you're out of luck and need to let S1 stretch the plugin in accordance to Windows scaling setting, which will result in GUI of correct size, but blurry. You should harass plugin developer to fix it.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Instruments”