Can't stop playing with XLN's XO...Is it just me?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BERFAB wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:53 pm
inkwarp wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:51 am
JiggSaw wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:48 am XO is my favorite purchase of 2019. But I'll repeat what I've said previously... being limited to two 1 bar patterns irks me.
+1 on this.
major limitation for an otherwise great plugin...
I do agree with this. However, XO can spit out unlimited wav or MIDI variations directly to your DAW, giving you more than enough to work with there. Granted, it would be nice to be able to do this all in XO. Its sequencer is one of the most intuitive and easy to use. Ditto the sample editing side.
Yeah, I know that but sometimes I need to hear how something sounds for 8 bars straight. With all the nudges, grooves, mutes, etc. So it's like you literally have setup an 8 bar loop in the DAW, drag your completed 1 or 2 bar wavs over to the DAW, then let XO sequencer come in after that. Just to hear all my bars together. It's a PITA.

Since I work in Live, it's almost always better to drag the samples AND midi over to drum rack once I'm satisfied with what I have in XO. Then do it again for the next patterns.

JiggSaw wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:25 pm Since I work in Live, it's almost always better to drag the samples AND midi over to drum rack once I'm satisfied with what I have in XO. Then do it again for the next patterns.
damn that sounds CRINGE. how hard can it be to extend the number of pattern available. how WHACK is that?

BERFAB wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:48 pm 1. I'm loading all the rendered hits and stems manually. When I try dragging the fully rendered kit pack or stem pack, it only loads the Kick 1 file into the first Battery cell. Is there a Battery setting I'm missing that will allow this to automatically load everything at once?
Preferences > Loading > When Loading Multiple Samples > Expand over multiple cells
2. Also, for some reason I can't get the stems to stop playing when I release the key that triggers them. I have "latch" off, and I have the settings set to "stop playing when key released" (or whatever that setting is), but the entire sample still plays to the end even when I release the key early. I have a number of REX2 loop sets that I've set up in Battery that release when I release the key, but I can't for the life of me remember how I managed to do that. What am I missing please?
Battery's not a sampler (as powerful as it is) it's a drum machine so it defaults to one-shot playback by default. If you want to be able to play it like a note, enable the ADSR envelope, A to 0, S to 100, R to taste.

If you look at the sliced RX2 loops look at the envelope—the hold is set to how long the particular slice is but it's got a 12.5ms release if you let go of the key. If you want them to play out select all the cells and turn off the envelope.

mxbf wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:59 pm damn that sounds CRINGE. how hard can it be to extend the number of pattern available. how WHACK is that?
It's not technically hard, the question is how to implement it without wrecking the simplicity of this UI:
SharedScreenshot.jpg
The least destructive way I see it, instead of the Show A/B toggle, A would be the display and B would contain arrows to navigate. Similarly, the Chain area would then become a mini-pattern sequencer for what looks like could accommodate 4. But ugh. Maybe keep it the same way and cram a menu button somewhere to bring up an advanced page. Regardless, it's a hard problem to solve from a workflow perspective.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

yellowmix wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:32 pm
mxbf wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:59 pm damn that sounds CRINGE. how hard can it be to extend the number of pattern available. how WHACK is that?
It's not technically hard, the question is how to implement it without wrecking the simplicity of this UI:

SharedScreenshot.jpg

The least destructive way I see it, instead of the Show A/B toggle, A would be the display and B would contain arrows to navigate. Similarly, the Chain area would then become a mini-pattern sequencer for what looks like could accommodate 4. But ugh. Maybe keep it the same way and cram a menu button somewhere to bring up an advanced page. Regardless, it's a hard problem to solve from a workflow perspective.
They implemented up to 3 tiny yellow dots under each cell so we could do rolls... so I'm sure they're smart enough to figure something out. :wink:

I like how NI did LimeLite with four patterns and a lil sequencer;
ImageImageImageImage

Ahhh...Limelite. A classic. :D
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

yellowmix wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:11 pm
BERFAB wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:48 pm 1. I'm loading all the rendered hits and stems manually. When I try dragging the fully rendered kit pack or stem pack, it only loads the Kick 1 file into the first Battery cell. Is there a Battery setting I'm missing that will allow this to automatically load everything at once?
Preferences > Loading > When Loading Multiple Samples > Expand over multiple cells
2. Also, for some reason I can't get the stems to stop playing when I release the key that triggers them. I have "latch" off, and I have the settings set to "stop playing when key released" (or whatever that setting is), but the entire sample still plays to the end even when I release the key early. I have a number of REX2 loop sets that I've set up in Battery that release when I release the key, but I can't for the life of me remember how I managed to do that. What am I missing please?
Battery's not a sampler (as powerful as it is) it's a drum machine so it defaults to one-shot playback by default. If you want to be able to play it like a note, enable the ADSR envelope, A to 0, S to 100, R to taste.

If you look at the sliced RX2 loops look at the envelope—the hold is set to how long the particular slice is but it's got a 12.5ms release if you let go of the key. If you want them to play out select all the cells and turn off the envelope.
Worked like a charm! You're like the Battery Whisperer...
Always nice to deal with a professional. :tu: Many thanks.
Cheers
-B
Berfab

I had Algonaut's Atlas a long time before XLN developed the same idea - highly recommended for sorting and finding percussion samples etc. XO has spent more time on it's sampler I feel - I find Atlas much more useful

This plugin has an inbuilt flaw imo.
It provides a set of samples ...lets call them the factor bank
But you can't completely remove the factory bank and teach it your own high quality samples.
Well not that I have found.
Workarounds by other methods mean too much work.
And like others have mentioned there's no intuitive way to create pattern variations that aren't boring.

Kian Russell wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:49 pm This plugin has an inbuilt flaw imo.
It provides a set of samples ...lets call them the factor bank
But you can't completely remove the factory bank and teach it your own high quality samples.
Well not that I have found.
Workarounds by other methods mean too much work.
And like others have mentioned there's no intuitive way to create pattern variations that aren't boring.
If I'm understanding your premise correctly, I think you can.

I've started scanning individual files on my PC that I know contain one shots. So, in addition to the included XO sample file (8,000 samples) I also have a folder called "Battery" which has all the one shots from Battery. Another folder called "Breaktweaker" has all the one shots from that program, etc. Each of these folders shows up in the XO engine, and can be checked or unchecked if you don't want to use that folder.

So, if I want to create kits made ONLY from Breaktweaker, I simply uncheck the XO factory folder and the Battery folder. The XO AI will then only work with samples in the Breaktweaker folder, etc. You can do this in any configuration you like.

Cheers
-B
Berfab

BERFAB wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:28 pm
If I'm understanding your premise correctly, I think you can.
You could be right BERFAB I honestly haven't tested it since its first release where I could find no way to disable the factory bank.
Cheers

Yes Berfab is quite right. And reminded me I haven't yetscanned the Breaktweaker library, so thanks! More fuel...
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

The Search and Filter UI is pretty tight. Click the magnifying glass on the top bar to bring it up.

There are quick filters for percussion type, you can select which folders to show or exclude, including the factory content. You can restrict frequency range, time length, and "druminess". Low druminess means it's not detected as a drum, e.g., vocals, tonal instruments, glitch fx, but was short enough to be included. Bassy stuff will be near the kicks, on my map as the frequency range increases it goes left to right. Note by default, XO excludes the bottom 10%.

I also make use of the favorites feature for my go-to samples. You can also use that for known starting points for a quick similarity search, e.g., your favorite trap snare. On that note, if you keep sample packs in their original folders, doing a search for something like "retro" or "future" can narrow down to a genre.

Tip: You can search for XLN ADpak samples by typing it into the search field, e.g, "Fairfax", "Vintage_Dry". Also works with Noiiz packs. If you don't know any names, search for Noiiz and it will show you all of them, but it's a lot. Narrow it down later with Noiiz plus the sample pack name separated by a space.

Oh, forgot to mention, someone requested a way to change kits without changing sequencer or change sequencer without changing kits. You can do it by copying whatever you want to keep by right-clicking on the mini-map on the bottom left (where you can do kit similarity) and choose "Copy all settings".

Then load whatever preset you want. Right-click on the mini-map again and you can choose to paste the sequencer, the kit, the accentuator, or everything.

Note the lock options get erased when you load a preset. It's specific to the current search/create workflow. Loading a preset is conceptually replacing whatever's there (destructive).

Return to “Instruments”