Issues with Roland Cloud Manager

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been subscribed to Roland Cloud for over a year now, but recently started having problems. I used to be prompted to enter my account details to authorise an instrument every time I opened my DAW, but that caused no problems. However, a few days ago I did the same thing and was told "could not connect to Roland Cloud for authorisation". I checked the Roland Cloud Manager and saw that it needed an update, and I assumed that this was the problem. After updating, I noticed that the four instruments I had installed needed updates; two updated fine, however the other two would not update at all. When I reopened my DAW the next day, those two instruments had disappeared from the DAW: the Manager showed them as not being installed, and they had vanished from my plugins folder. This was also despite me having chosen one of the instruments to 'keep' (i.e. retain even after uninstalling Roland Cloud). I have attempted to reinstall the two instruments, but the progress bar shows 'Paused' for a few seconds and then resets to the 'Install' button.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially as I have already used these plugins in projects and would hate to see them become unusable.

My advice would be to do what I did. Ditch Roland cloud and never look back. The whole thing is just messy and prone to problems.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:35 pm My advice would be to do what I did. Ditch Roland cloud and never look back. The whole thing is just messy and prone to problems.
That's not exactly helpful, I've been struggling for years to get the authentic sound that I wanted and these instruments have finally started to help me make that happen, I'm not going to abandon dozens of project files and £400+ of subscription fees just for a problem like this that should really have a solution.

I guess you did already, but just in case : Did you migrate to the new Roland Account ? I'm not on Roland Cloud for a long time anymore, but i did get this e-mail :

Roland Cloud is now a part of a single sign-on Roland experience. On January 31st, you will no longer have the option to use your old login credentials. You will need to migrate to a “Roland Account.” This will roll your Roland Cloud account into your all-access Roland Account.*
More BPM please

dionenoid wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:19 pm I guess you did already, but just in case : Did you migrate to the new Roland Account ?
I believe I did, it prompted me to create an account when I opened the Manager and I used the same email as for my old Roland Cloud account.

All Roland Cloud Manager does is download the files locally then run the installer. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to do this reliably. Assuming Windows, search for a directory called "Package Cache" on your machine in places like "Program Data" or "All Users (it may be different on Windows 10.) You're looking for executables called things like SH101.exe in there, along with MSI setup files like "PluginSetup.msi". You can right click the msi files and look at the properties to see which plugin the MSI is for. If you manage to find them install them manually, rather than having the Roland Cloud Manager do it for you.

Note that even for your "permanent" plugin licenses, you must keep Roland Cloud Manager installed to verify you are allowed to use them. It requires a reauth every 7 days. Unfortunately it only triggers a reauth if you launch the plugin. So if you don't use something at least once per week it will always be deactivated. I eventually found this aspect so annoying (There would always be multiple things requiring a reauth as I didn't use most of the bundle often) that I gave up and uninstalled the plugins.

If you can't get the Virtual Sonics part of the software to recognize and auth the plugins then there's not much you can do. Though I'm curious why you'd post these problems here rather than just contact Roland Cloud support?

TW1306 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:57 pm I've been subscribed to Roland Cloud for over a year now, but recently started having problems. I used to be prompted to enter my account details to authorise an instrument every time I opened my DAW, but that caused no problems. However, a few days ago I did the same thing and was told "could not connect to Roland Cloud for authorisation". (...)
That's why we should avoid cloud based services for authorisations and obligations for staying always online. The companies just think about their profits and customer control.
The more you buy this kind of stuff, the more problems can and will arise.

The issue I always have is that the manager asks to get updated. I say OK. It gets to 100% and then just hangs there... the only thing you can do is redownload it and try again.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Hi, I had the exact same symptoms as you:
1) I saw an available update for SRX Brass, so I clicked-update
2) Although no error message was shown, the Roland Manager showed an "Install" button again after a few minutes (instead of "Installed")
3) I tried clicking Install again, and it showed "paused" during the download; and if I unpause, it again completes after a minute or two but shows "Install" button again as if it's not installed
4) In my DAW, the plugin clearly is no-longer installed

I reached out to Roland, and they were very fast to respond:
"uninstall Roland Cloud Manager, then reinstall it and sign in, then install SRX Brass"

After I did this, SRX Brass installed again with no problem

(Edited to fix typo)

PAK wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:42 pm
Note that even for your "permanent" plugin licenses, you must keep Roland Cloud Manager installed to verify you are allowed to use them. It requires a reauth every 7 days. Unfortunately it only triggers a reauth if you launch the plugin. So if you don't use something at least once per week it will always be deactivated. I eventually found this aspect so annoying (There would always be multiple things requiring a reauth as I didn't use most of the bundle often) that I gave up and uninstalled the plugins.
This. And the manager cannot update itself. Also claims there's no connection to the Internet. I liked Zenology, but no more of this struggle.

First thing's first:

1. Contact their support - the support is actually excellent. I've only had good experiences in dealing with Travis over there, and I've been in touch with them a bunch. It's one of the real saving graces about the service.

You could also try:

2. Manually locating all your Roland Cloud plugin .dll's and vst3's and manually uninstalling all of them then reinstalling. I had issues where plugins wouldn't authenticate any longer. Looks like the Cloud was just down. Turns out, even though the version numbers were the same, I actually had older versions installed in a custom location from when the installers were still manual, but at some point, the authentication was updated in the plugins and that wasn't trickling down to the plugins I had placed in the custom location. So I ended up with 3 copies of the plugins in my system (two different VST2 versions and a VST3 version) and somewhere this was leading to a conflict. The resolution was simple: remove everything and start over. Haven't had an issue since.

TW1306 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:08 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:35 pm My advice would be to do what I did. Ditch Roland cloud and never look back. The whole thing is just messy and prone to problems.
That's not exactly helpful, I've been struggling for years to get the authentic sound that I wanted and these instruments have finally started to help me make that happen,
BS. you can get the sounds you want out of any synths if you know what you are doing. dont need no stupid roland parasite cloud :roll:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:56 pm
TW1306 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:08 pm
That's not exactly helpful, I've been struggling for years to get the authentic sound that I wanted and these instruments have finally started to help me make that happen,
BS. you can get the sounds you want out of any synths if you know what you are doing. dont need no stupid roland parasite cloud :roll:
Then I don't suppose you could teach me how or direct me to advice on how to do that? My whole point is that I don't exactly 'know what I am doing'; I am still very much a beginner when it comes to synthesis and sound design, so I figured the best idea would be to use emulations of synths that were actually used to make the music I want to make, rather than going with a popular one and spending ages trying to figure out how to drag a single authentic sound out of it.

Hey guys, I need your help.. my Roland Cloud manager crashes constantly after navigating through it's menus, the strange thing is, sometimes it happens immediately after starting up the manager, sometimes a little later in irregular time intervals. Luckily, I could install the D50 legendary synth plugin in the menu right before the manager did crash. (and at least D50 works fine without probs after manually copying it's .dll file into the plugin folder) ..but have no clue what the "crashing"-issue is, I was installing all necessary stuff exactly the way Roland did describe. Here's a snapshot of the failmessage that appears when it crashes (My OS: Win7 SP1 64-bit, my DAW: Zynewave Podium Free) Any helpful response is very much appreciated 8) ->

I tell you, Roland Cloud is the worst software system ever devised. I'm being asked to log in for the fifth time this morning, update won't go beyond 1%, every time I restart my Mac it asks me to log in again and then says there's some worthless update. I am uninstalling now and doing without my D50 and System 100. I have plenty of other great synths that aren't customer hostile.

Return to “Instruments”