One Synth Challenge #133: Cheeze Machine 2 by 2getheraudio (z.prime Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ELEX wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:04 pm @ empphyrio
Don't forget to enable downloads for your submission. It seems you haven't done so yet.
Thank you for letting me know!
I fixed that now and while I was at it uploaded a new version with less low end.

You're most welcome. I only set it one hour past deadline last month (hope I got away with that). Would hate to see anyone being disqualified for such an oversight.

I would like to hear a few opinions on this question: whether there are official or your personal (who has what) restrictions on the degree of use of permitted effects for forming sounds. For example, now we use a synthesizer with very limited abilities and therefore similar sounds, but with the help of the "Comp, EQ, Reverb" kit, you can radically change the structure of sounds. I just want to hear how far you are willing to go in using effects when the synthesizer doesn 't provide enough internal features?

Did anyone succeeded to download an expansion pack for this synth? https://www.2getheraudio.com/expansions ... e_machine/ (I got redirected to homepage)
I already have a CM2 for few years I wonder whether I need to update it since CM pro was not announced back then when I got it. (maybe I'm missing some features or new presets)
YT | SC | FB | IG | earror :ud: KO :ud:

No, it 's the same for me. Although the description assumes a free download. Perhaps the admin just entered a false hyperlink address :shrug:

IV! wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:48 pm I would like to hear a few opinions on this question: whether there are official or your personal (who has what) restrictions on the degree of use of permitted effects for forming sounds. For example, now we use a synthesizer with very limited abilities and therefore similar sounds, but with the help of the "Comp, EQ, Reverb" kit, you can radically change the structure of sounds. I just want to hear how far you are willing to go in using effects when the synthesizer doesn 't provide enough internal features?
People sometimes use a ton of reverb, so I guess that's fine (as long as it's not modulating). Compression is sometimes used heavily, I think, too. As long as the compressor does not distort the sound... People like to use it e.g. to make drums more punchy, or for sidechaining.
I think people use EQs as filters, not only for shelving and bells. What I'd regard as borderline is making formant-like things with an EQ (sharp resonances)

Still retrieving and assembling sounds. Let's wait how it will all fit together.

https://soundcloud.com/ruedirena/stahl- ... n-progress

IV! wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:48 pm I would like to hear a few opinions on this question: whether there are official or your personal (who has what) restrictions on the degree of use of permitted effects for forming sounds. For example, now we use a synthesizer with very limited abilities and therefore similar sounds, but with the help of the "Comp, EQ, Reverb" kit, you can radically change the structure of sounds. I just want to hear how far you are willing to go in using effects when the synthesizer doesn 't provide enough internal features?
Well this synth has a reverb built in so to me 100% wet reverb from the synth would be allowed and you can do a lot with that. Especially combined with the internal flanger(I wish all synths had flangers).
They are sounds directly from the synth so to me would be allowed even if it requires some parameter modulation from the host. Really no different than twisting a potentiometer on a “real” synth as you play. Just the host gives you many extra “hands” and can be more precise.
External to the synth I try to be more conservative. I don’t think I use anything that radically alters the basic sound the comes from a synth. More just to try to make the sounds fit together with EQ and compression rather than make a different sound entirely.
I look at it this way, if I bypass the external FXs the sound should be similar. Probably less punch and maybe some uncovered frequency nastiness but still similar.
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

Biggest FX use i've done in the past several rounds is using EQ to add a highpass filter to various sounds such as cymbals. One time I added some external distortion to a sub-bass for a more noticeable sound- that's borderline but you might not notice the distortion unless you're listening for it.
I like to keep it mild, mostly because I don't want to put in the work to make external FX do my bidding beyond delays, light reverb and master limiting.
All that said, I really don't mind those that load up on FX because I'm really just here for the music. Don't make external FX to do the sound design for you, but I won't care if you augment your sounds a bit so that your song sounds better.
Last edited by Leonard Bowman on Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mostly here for the One Synth Challenge
you can hear some of my newest music at: https://wrenharmonic.bandcamp.com/ or https://www.youtube.com/@wrenharmonic

I've been wondering about those things myself, specifically about severe transient processing. Tried a single instance of OTT last month ( moderately ) and it did already feel like cheating. So, I'm leaning towards the view that transients are a defining aspect of a synth and as such should not be altered. Not sure about reverb use at all, yet. Ideally, it should be minimized if one one wants hear the synth itself. The last two synths, however, didn't sound particularly good in the dry to me, so I must admit that a bit of blurring by reverb was very welcome there. And when it's onboard anything goes, of course. As far as EQ goes, I've not used it in any of my tracks so far, and not really missed it ( maybe others did :wink: ). But using basic channel strip EQ is OK, I'd say. Modulating and/or resonating filters not.

In addition, the rules already state:

" Effects - what is NOT allowed:
Any effect that transforms the sound to make them unrecognizable as being from the synth (Overdrive, heavy distortion, bit crushing, or related). Never go full 11 "

I'd say this should logically also apply to transient processing, EQ & filtering, and reverb.

Must say, I have been seriously thinking about doing a bone dry piece with no fx at all ( not even onboard ), if the right synth comes along. That would surely be an interesting challenge.

:?: Doesn't this very interesting subject belong in the general discussions thread ? Just wondering.

ELEX wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:23 pm Must say, I have been seriously thinking about doing a bone dry piece with no fx at all ( not even onboard ), if the right synth comes along. That would surely be an interesting challenge.
I made my first track with OB-Xd this way - no external or internal effects. I even thought that this is the essence or at least the main ideological message of the One Synth Challenge. But then I realized that not every virtual synthesizer makes it possible to make a good- sounding track without processing. And I just wanted to find out how important effects are for other members in creating a full- fledged track.
ELEX wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:23 pm :?: Doesn't this very interesting subject belong in the general discussions thread ? Just wondering.
Perhaps you are right. But this Cheese Machine gave a good background context for such a question. In addition, the main life of the OSC is boiling here, in the forum of the current month , in the General topic, the majority happens (or writes) not regularly. And, since people respond without reproach, I hope that no one is angry with me for rarely diluting purely thematic discussions with more overall questions. :roll:

Thank you for your detailed answers! :hyper: :hug: :hyper:

IV! wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:04 am
ELEX wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:23 pm Must say, I have been seriously thinking about doing a bone dry piece with no fx at all ( not even onboard ), if the right synth comes along. That would surely be an interesting challenge.
.... But then I realized that not every virtual synthesizer makes it possible to make a good- sounding track without processing. ...
Totally agree. My thoughts concerning the tightness of rules were purely speculative. I'm not advocating any change ( that would be a bit rich, coming from a 4-time participant, wouldn't it :wink: ). And the quoted rule speaks for itself, anyway. Will do the dry piece sometime, I think, as a personal challenge. I'll certainly listen to your OB-Xd entry, you got me all curious now.
IV! wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:04 am
ELEX wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:23 pm :?: Doesn't this very interesting subject belong in the general discussions thread ? Just wondering.
Perhaps you are right. But this Cheese Machine gave a good background context for such a question. In addition, the main life of the OSC is boiling here, in the forum of the current month , in the General topic, the majority happens (or writes) not regularly. And, since people respond without reproach, I hope that no one is angry with me for rarely diluting purely thematic discussions with more overall questions. :roll:
Ah, I see what you mean. I've not visited the general thread much, I must admit. Point taken. And to be clear: I am ( and was ) absolutely fine with you bringing the subject up here :tu: , it being especially relevant to the CM2 case. Was just thinking that it may also be of interest to people not following the CM2-thread, that's all.

Yes... heh, many anyway watch, even if they don't participate in the current challenge... I just wanted to get a few opinions and I got them here. :D
Effects... CM2 allows you to use the plate/room reverb to modulate sound, and then asks you to give it an external reverb, so that the sound sit in space! How can you do without effects when they give you a string machine , but since this is OSC, I think the last thing everyone expects to hear is a track with a string machine! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yup, my first thought is, "What type of track can I do which is NOT expected from a string machine?"

But, I do have some strings to fill out the sound at times … :hyper:

dB

doctorbob wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:09 pm Yup, my first thought is, "What type of track can I do which is NOT expected from a string machine?"

But, I do have some strings to fill out the sound at times … :hyper:

dB
Oooo. Now we're thinking alike!

Return to “Instruments”