Upcoming Synapse OB-Xa: Obsession

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
vurt
addled muppet weed
65158 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Fri May 22, 2020 8:50 am

mpe discussions, as exciting as they are, are not this...

https://youtu.be/SwYN7mTi6HM

vurt
addled muppet weed

Re: Upcoming Synapse OB-Xa: Obsession

Post Fri May 22, 2020 8:52 am

id forgotten how much roth looks like buffalo bill from the penis tuck scene in silence of the lambs.

starflakeprj
KVRian
1442 posts since 28 Feb, 2015

Post Fri May 22, 2020 9:26 am

Echoes in the Attic wrote: ↑
Fri May 22, 2020 6:29 am
starflakeprj wrote: ↑
Fri May 22, 2020 5:57 am
Fri May 22, 2020 4:16 am
In the first 10 seconds of this videos, he's already done things that you can't do in a split keyboard non-MPE setup on a "5D" controller. Examples like these are all over youtube. Again - Willful ignorance.
I have never really understood the greatness in MPE, but it could be because I don't really understand how I could gain from it.

In this linked above, can you still accomplish the same sound "manually" in your DAW? What I'm asking specifically is, if MPE is mostly for playing live? In that case it's not for me :)
Yes you could accomplish the same thing technically in a DAW, however it would be extremely cumbersome. You would need to create a duplicate instrument track for each voice that is played simultaneously so that you can do pitch bend or other expressions (like mod wheel or other midi cc) for only that specific note at a time. For example in the first few seconds you can see that he does vibrato on one note while holding other notes that do not to vibrato. It would sound much different and less pleasing if vibrato were applied to all notes there. So yes you could set it up in a DAW that way but then of course you would need to play or write each note separately. Imagine recording guitar parts where you could only record one string at a time as opposed to playing chords...
I shortened your text, just wanted to say thanks. Very well explained! I think that I might have a look at a keyboard with maybe 2 octaves or something, I will never (probably) be able to play, two-handedly, in that regard, but it certainly seems fun to play with. And if I can edit expressions note for note, afterwards, of what I play with one hand, it seems like a nice investment.
Intel Core i7-4930K@4.1GHz | 64GB DDR3 | Windows 10 Pro | Arturia AudioFuse | Arturia KeyLab mkII | Arturia SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM | Studio One 4.6 | Reason 11.2 | Bitwig Studio 3.1 | Reaper 6 | Renoise 3.1 | FL Studio 20.6 | ~1000 VSTs | ~300+ REs

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
8128 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Fri May 22, 2020 9:38 am

Fri May 22, 2020 9:26 am
Fri May 22, 2020 6:29 am
Fri May 22, 2020 5:57 am
Fri May 22, 2020 4:16 am
In the first 10 seconds of this videos, he's already done things that you can't do in a split keyboard non-MPE setup on a "5D" controller. Examples like these are all over youtube. Again - Willful ignorance.
I have never really understood the greatness in MPE, but it could be because I don't really understand how I could gain from it.

In this linked above, can you still accomplish the same sound "manually" in your DAW? What I'm asking specifically is, if MPE is mostly for playing live? In that case it's not for me :)
Yes you could accomplish the same thing technically in a DAW, however it would be extremely cumbersome. You would need to create a duplicate instrument track for each voice that is played simultaneously so that you can do pitch bend or other expressions (like mod wheel or other midi cc) for only that specific note at a time. For example in the first few seconds you can see that he does vibrato on one note while holding other notes that do not to vibrato. It would sound much different and less pleasing if vibrato were applied to all notes there. So yes you could set it up in a DAW that way but then of course you would need to play or write each note separately. Imagine recording guitar parts where you could only record one string at a time as opposed to playing chords...
I shortened your text, just wanted to say thanks. Very well explained! I think that I might have a look at a keyboard with maybe 2 octaves or something, I will never (probably) be able to play, two-handedly, in that regard, but it certainly seems fun to play with. And if I can edit expressions note for note, afterwards, of what I play with one hand, it seems like a nice investment.
No problem. And you don't really need to be a good player to make use of it. You could play just two fingers, doing independent bending and expressions with each, and be able to move those two fingers anywhere on the keyboard, so already that's stuff you couldn't do with a keyboard split.
System: Windows 10, Dell XPS 2-in-1, Bitwig 3, Steinberg UR44.

Noumena
KVRist
136 posts since 4 May, 2019

Post Fri May 22, 2020 9:41 am

I generally map amplitude to pressure. This enables me to control the attack, release and volume of each note in a chord independently as I play it. More of a stringed instrument effect than a percussive attack... you can improvise string quartets with crescendo, decreshendo, vibrato, etc. once you start using it with polyphonic material you can’t believe the depth you can get out of even a simple 1 osc no frills sound.

I am very excited to see what this synth can do with MPE expressivity. There are very few good implementations and this looks promising.
Last edited by Noumena on Fri May 22, 2020 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

vurt
addled muppet weed

Post Fri May 22, 2020 9:42 am

go ahead and...

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
8128 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Fri May 22, 2020 9:43 am

Noumena wrote: ↑
Fri May 22, 2020 9:41 am
I generally map amplitude to pressure. This enables me to control the attack, release and volume of each note in a chord independently as I play it. More of a stringed instrument effect than a percussive attack... you can improvise string quartets with crescendo, decreshendo, vibrato, etc. once you start using it with polyphonic material you can’t believe the depth you can get out of even a simple 1 osc no frills sound.
According to BONES this is not of any use. :lol:
System: Windows 10, Dell XPS 2-in-1, Bitwig 3, Steinberg UR44.

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
7141 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Fri May 22, 2020 9:50 am

vurt wrote: ↑
Fri May 22, 2020 8:52 am
id forgotten how much roth looks like buffalo bill from the penis tuck scene in silence of the lambs.
I believe you got that backwards. :wink:

recursive one
KVRAF
4809 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Post Fri May 22, 2020 9:52 am

buffalo penis
What on Earth is happening in this thread? :o
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

vurt
addled muppet weed

Post Fri May 22, 2020 9:53 am

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: ↑
Fri May 22, 2020 9:50 am
I believe you got that backwards. :wink:
well yes, depending how youre travelling through the tempus.

but, i meant i hadnt seen him for longer, silence of the lambs on the other hand is a romantic night in for me n the missus :)

vurt
addled muppet weed

Post Fri May 22, 2020 9:54 am

recursive one wrote: ↑
Fri May 22, 2020 9:52 am
buffalo penis
snacks?

vurt
addled muppet weed

Post Fri May 22, 2020 9:58 am

buffalo penis
sorry, dont think its an ob, but it is david lee roth...

https://youtu.be/q5Veq_fBUsE

e-crooner
KVRAF
1749 posts since 22 Aug, 2019

Post Fri May 22, 2020 10:23 am

Regarding the BP filter: since there is not only a cutoff frequency, but also an open-up frequency so to speak, should there not be two knobs for setting the frequency range to pass? And eventually also two resonance knobs for stressing those two frequencies? 8)

Vortifex
KVRAF
1856 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Post Fri May 22, 2020 10:25 am

buffalo penis
It has now become the 'post any old shite' thread.

vurt
addled muppet weed

Post Fri May 22, 2020 10:30 am

Vortifex wrote: ↑
Fri May 22, 2020 10:25 am
buffalo penis
It has now become the 'post any old shite' thread.
not really, it was relevant.
it didnt just come from nowhere.

jump/roth/buffalo bill.
i dont know what to say if you dont see it? :shrug:
sorry if a fake murderer tucking his junk offended :hug:

Return to β€œInstruments”