What are your favourite Arturia V Collection instruments?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
BBFG#
KVRAF
5920 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Post Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:46 am

For the most part, AnalogLab is a preset player for me. And at that, is quite decent all around, regardless of what synth picture comes up when choosing one.
When setting up a simple layer, I find starting with one of the three organs first and then adding the other emulations to bolster that organ is where I find its best actual use for me. I also like Pigments 2 on its own, and much in the very idea that it builds from all that previous research, but comes out uniquely their own.
So, AnalogLab and Pigments 2.
Not interested at all in the V collection, except for the included added presets.

DrGonzo
KVRAF
2403 posts since 24 Oct, 2000 from A Swede Living in Budapest

Re: What are your favourite Arturia V Collection instruments?

Post Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:18 am

I was going to say Mini V, but the sound of their Fairlight always make me so fuzzy inside. A fantastic sounding sampler.

/C
Plughugger Sound Design
DISTORTED EVOLUTION 4 MOVEMENT for OMNISPHERE
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

MissOptimyst
KVRist
49 posts since 1 Mar, 2020

Post Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:20 pm

So far from Analog Lab I’m enjoying:
Mini V
Jup-8
Prophet
Matrix

Also looking to get Pigments. I love what I hear from the demos!

Meffy
Skunk Mod
21321 posts since 10 Jun, 2004 from Pony Pasture

Post Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:56 pm

TONTO.

Oops, sorry. That's next year.

jasonekratz
KVRist
36 posts since 2 Nov, 2017

Post Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:59 pm

fmr wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:39 am
chk071 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:00 am
I didn't insult your family or anything. I just said that there are better soft synths than there are in the V-Collection.
You didn't say "there are better soft synths", you said, and I quote: "there's much better than the Arturia synths". You made a generalization based only in a couple of demos. To which I enumerated a list of soft synths that don't even have competition. Yet you chose to ignore those because to you, somehow, only the Minimoog counts (and to a less extent the Jupiter-8).

Regarding the Jupiter-8, I don't have problems in admitting that the Roland emulation (which came much later, and demands a lot more CPU) sounds better. I also admit there are things (modules) in the Jup-8 V that need to be revised. That doesn't make it a MUCH worse synth, though. It ius a good synth, and you can recreate most of the Jupiter classic sounds with it.

Regarding the Minimoog, we are talking of the third Arturia emulation (very, very old), and although it has been revisited and revised later, I have to confess I still don't pay that much attention to it (never did, but I don't pay that much attention to the other emulations of it available, either). This is because I find the Minimoog too limited for my taste. The only (kind of) emulation I use is the one included in DIVA, but that's because in it I can mix Mini modules with other modules and created hybrids that do much more than the original.

Anyway, the Arturia V Collection has the best Synclavier emulation available, the best Fairlight emulation available, the best DX7 emulation available, the best Casio CZ emulation available, the best Prophet VS emulation available, the best EMS Synth A emulation available, the best Buchla Easel emulation available, the best Mellotron emulation available, the best Solina emulation available, the best Matrix-12 emulation available, perhaps the best Hammond emulation available, the best Rhodes emulation available, the best Wurlitzer emulation available, the best Clavinet emulation available, etc. etc. Other emulations may not be the best, but they certainly aren't bad.

And I would rather have Arturia revising the CS-80 and expanding it, or the Jup-8 and expanding it, or perfecting the Matrix-12 (which needs to be perfected) much more than wasting time and resources with (another) Minimoog.
Get over yourself dude. It's a f**king message board. Your world will be fine even if chk071 doesn't agree with you.

jasonekratz
KVRist
36 posts since 2 Nov, 2017

Post Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:02 pm

My personal favs are the DX-7 and the 2600. Honestly I hadn't spent anytime at all with the DX-7 until recently and it totally blew my mind. Had no idea an FM synth could make sounds like that.

Meffy
Skunk Mod

Post Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:04 pm

I find myself using the Jup-8 a lot, which surprised me 'cos I'm not at all familiar with the hardware it emulates. Not sure that qualifies as a favorite, but there it is.

mladi
KVRian
972 posts since 14 Apr, 2016 from Germany

Post Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:06 pm

I have many virtuals but i love the whole V collection. Excellent stuff. :)
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K|LG 34UM95-P|Presonus Eris E8 XT|Focusrite Scarlett 18i20|NI Kontrol S61 MK2|Arturia MiniLab MK2|Stein­berg CC121|Softube Console 1|Steinberg Cubase 10

chk071
KVRAF
23219 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:06 pm

jasonekratz wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:59 pm
Get over yourself dude. It's a f**king message board. Your world will be fine even if chk071 doesn't agree with you.
I didn't really wanted to say it, but... yeah... this. :tu:

Maybe it was wrong to post in this thread in the first place, when I have nothing to contribute, apart from a "none is my favorite". I still think that a opinion should be allowed, even when it doesn't match the usual contributers' of this thread. After all it's just a opinion which you don't have to share.

Meffy
Skunk Mod

Post Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:10 pm

IMO as long as you don't harp on it, no harm = no foul.

Disclaimer: standard Big Lebowski quotation about opinions.

Muziksculp
KVRAF
1521 posts since 23 Sep, 2005

Post Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:25 pm

The Farfisa V :)

Bodhisan
KVRian
602 posts since 7 Aug, 2015 from H2O

Post Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:30 pm

Synclavier, on almost every song, starting with a sine, and with little effort, making something unique.

GoldieK
KVRist
108 posts since 30 Jul, 2016

Post Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:50 pm

Can get lost for hours in all of the synths. But to pick 5

1. CMI V
2. Synclavier V
3. CS 80 V3
4. Jupiter 8 V3
5. DX7 V

JerGoertz
KVRAF
2714 posts since 20 Feb, 2004

Post Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:17 pm

Bodhisan wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:30 pm
Synclavier, on almost every song, starting with a sine, and with little effort, making something unique.
Yeah, it's a beaut.
A well-behaved signature.

planetearth
KVRAF
1684 posts since 10 Jul, 2006 from Tampa

Post Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:31 pm

For me, in no particular order:
DX7 V
CMI V
Synclavier V
Spark VDM
CS-80 V

Honorable mention: Jup-8 V3 and ARP 2600 V2

I like them all though, regardless of how "authentic" they are.

Steve
Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife.

Return to “Instruments”