What are your favourite Arturia V Collection instruments?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

uninstall.exe

(Sorry! )

derschönekarsten wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:23 pm
fmr wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:20 pm
chk071 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:02 pm None. TBH, I think there's much better than the Arturia synths.

Don't beat me, you asked. :(
Do you "actually" own them? :roll:

Which Matrix-12 is better than theirs?
Which Prophet VS is better than theirs?
Which Synthi is better than theirs.
Which Buchla Easel is better than theirs?
Which Synclavier is better than theirs?
Which Mellotron? Which Fairlight? Which Solina?
Which Casio CZ is better than theirs?
Which DX7 is better than theirs?

Not even entering the hyperbolic "much better" :dog:
Of course, "better" is a subjective assessment, but...

1. Synthi: Check the XILS stuff
Very good, but not as perfect as as emulation. I know - I have both.
derschönekarsten wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:23 pm 2. Mellotron: GForce M-Tron all the way
Not as perfect as as emulation. I know - I have both. Actually, although the Mellotron is basically a tape playback machine, the Arturia version emulates the quirks of the tape mechanism, and allows to "mellotronize" our own samples, while the GForce simply plays the sampled tapes, AFAIK.
derschönekarsten wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:23 pm 3. Casio CZ: The plugin-boutique one
Not as perfect as as emulation. I know - I have both. This even laughable, as the developer of that one is the main developer of the Arturia CZ V, and he told himself that the CZ V is much more faithful. Actually, as an owner of a real Casio CZ, I can testify that as well.
derschönekarsten wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:23 pm 4. DX7: Not necessarily better, but for a hefty discount, Dexed definitely isn't worse either
Not as perfect as as emulation. I know - I have both. You can test yourself by loading SysEx files in both of them and playing them. DX7 V is much more faithful and sounds A LOT better. There's no room for comparison, IMO.
derschönekarsten wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:23 pm 5. Solina: GForce VSM
Really? A sampled version is better than a real emulation of the thing? :lol: :nutter:
derschönekarsten wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:23 pm Personally, I don't subscribe to the reasoning that just because there are no alternatives it makes the single remaining offer automatically "good".
No, it doesn't make them necessarily good (they are good because they are good, compared to the real things, not because there are no alternatives) :wink:

I asked for "better", which doesn't imply they are not good ... Just because the other guy wrote: "I think there's much better..." which he didn't name. :roll:
Fernando (FMR)

Zipede wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:58 am Going by previous release dates, V8 would have been due for release soon, but with current situation it might not be released for a long time.... and I was quite excited at the possibility of an E-mu.
Of all the things that might be put off software that doesn't require someone to deliver it is the last thing. Obviously illness of the engineers might be a reason but would think other than that they'd be able to work on this stuff from their homes if they aren't already.

Arturia VC is maybe not the best sounding bundle, but have several unique features.
I hate their Buchla (im not a modular fan) but they put their gravity modulator into its advanced section, and for this feature, i will keep it. I know no other synth that contains such thing.
Or look at their dx7 - if you wanna play classic dx7 sysex sounds you may find better plugins, but overall with the modulation, fx and the gui it is quite OK.
Even their Mini V is ok with the advanced modulation sequencer.
From the collection approximately 2/3 of the instruments are installed, those are my favs.

If you don't like the original synth you wont like the emulation neither if it's anything like the original, you shoud always measure an emulation compared to the original. Anyway, my favourites are the CZ V, Emulator II V and OP Xa V

The 5 that I get the most out of now… (and this has changed over the years ) but for now:
Jup 8V4 - The timbres are fantastic, with the new version.
CS-80 V4 - Same. The jump from V3 to V4 was massive
DX7 V - I had an OG DX7 for decades. The Arturia meets/beats it in nearly every way
SQ80 - fantastic, and there are a bazillion presets that are freely given away*
CZ V - Probably because learning Phase Distortion Synthesis was just a treat

It's been said before - but worth a repeat... Arturia has gone through lengths ( partnering with original developers, etc) to make most of their synth emulations patch compatible. What this means, is - you can usually find sites where folks are sharing sysex files of patches they created over the years. It's hit & miss, if they are any good - but IMO, it's a huge win. Similarly - because they are patch compatible .. even finding patch sheets for OG patches, or big ticket winner timbres from yesteryear, and plugging in the values that are on the sheets, is fricken amazing. So.. there is that.

Vocoder
Synclavier
Prophet VS
DX7
Synthi

Return to “Instruments”