NI have announced they will no longer activate discontinued products

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:02 pm So the solution here is to remove those old methods from NA entirely, and EOL of Service Center, and introduction of support-side auth tool for those old discontinued products.
You make it sound like there's no choice :D There are many solutions possible. The requirement for a "support side auth tool" is because NI choose that path. They're not even prepared to spend the cash to keep an automated solution online, so why not make a solution which removes the need entirely? No support required either.

Software, like Pro 5, quite happily activated with no involvement from NI. Why won't they just do the same for Pro 53? It makes no sense to keep all of this old software so heavily locked down at this stage of their life.

For 3rd party libraries legalities might well impose a server side solution on them. In this scenario what they are proposing can be seen as much more reasonable. But for 20 year old Prophet emulations etc? Come on NI!

they're not interested in spending money if it brings no income, even if it means breaking a eula and having a bad rep for the foreseeable future.... kore anyone :lol:

PAK wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:25 pmSoftware, like Pro 5, quite happily activated with no involvement from NI. Why won't they just do the same for Pro 53? It makes no sense to keep all of this old software so heavily locked down at this stage of their life.
Because going back to those very old codebases and removing activation code from them is really not feasible. It's even a question if they even build at all as they are - stuff changed in 20 years: compilers, internal libraries NI is using, external libraries as well... it's not an option.

That is N.I.s problem.
Other companies can manage it as well. But maybe they use their income for the actual business and not for extravagant wages for their executive floor and promotion campaigns.

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:07 pmBecause going back to those very old codebases and removing activation code from them is really not feasible.
You've seen all of the source code to know this? Or you're making assumptions? ;)

Would you remove the code in such scenarios? Wouldn't the quicker fix be to bypass it by returning true where it checks? Very different thing. Though the speed in which you could do this would depend on the skill of the coder, the state of the source code, and how buried checks are..
It's even a question if they even build at all as they are - stuff changed in 20 years: compilers, internal libraries NI is using, external libraries as well... it's not an option.
Even decompiling and patching without source code is an option! So what you're actually saying is that it's about how much time and effort is required (= money), not whether it's possible.

Again, in terms of 3rd party libraries, there are likely to be legal complications which aren't just about code. But otherwise? None of us can actually say. But, since the goal is to save cash, you'd hope they'd take the opportunity to remove support from the chain entirely where possible. Heck, maybe even turn the situation into good will by giving some of it away, like Steinberg (Model E) or Propellerhead (Rebirth) etc.

PAK wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:37 pmYou've seen all of the source code to know this? Or you're making assumptions? ;)
No, no assumptions. Actual background info I snooped around for. ;)

we have a hacker in our midst

AnX wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:11 pm we have a hacker in our midst
the puppet dog off cbbc?

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:08 pm
PAK wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:37 pmYou've seen all of the source code to know this? Or you're making assumptions? ;)
No, no assumptions. Actual background info I snooped around for. ;)
It must be a very difficult position for you ED. What with you being a decent human being and whatnot. And NI being corporate monsters.

I think you're a decent bloke. I don't hold NI in much regard anymore. I'm late to jumping on the ship, but quick to hop off it. No major damage done.

All the same, I like the way you tread that fine line. Kudos to you. No snark.

Someone needs to interface.

They should pay you more.

codec_spurt wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:21 pmThey should pay you more.
Don't you worry about this. ;)

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:59 pm
codec_spurt wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:21 pmThey should pay you more.
Don't you worry about this im actually the evil ceo muhahaha . ;)
:o

:lol:

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:08 pmNo, no assumptions. Actual background info I snooped around for. ;)
Hmmmm.. such decisions, IF fully evaluated, would have many variables. From what is evaluated to the estimated costs. If you're privy to costs.. then.. ;)

The public can but glean a little bit from what is known. Such as they're (apparently) not prepared to pay Amazon to host a virtual server to run automated responses. Thus, to the casual observer, it very much appears like NI are willing to spend something close to approximately zero euros and zero cents on these issues, going forward.

We'll see what they do. It's not really in the audio communities interest to see NI struggle, so hopefully their actions are enough to win any doubters over. :tu: :party:

so he is a bonifide schill....

If informing people is shilling, I don't know what to say. :D

Return to “Instruments”